Let's Talk Pets!

edited 2014-05-28 11:38:15 in Talk
I want a pet pig, a pet snake, a pet gecko and a pet ferret, in that order.

What about you lot?

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    sometimes I miss my pomeranian
  • I have two cats (down from four). Onyx, who is an old man, and Shaggie, who is punk rock.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I have two dogs, one of whom has featured as a sockpuppet in #trashheap on occasion. First there's Huey, a senior basset hound who is very stubborn and loves to scavenge for food. Then there's Sadie, a rescue bagel hound who commiserates with me on anxiety issues, having quite a few herself.

Things I would like to have sometime in the future include a ball python and a gecko of some variety. Sometimes I like to go to the pet store in my local shopping district, visit the reptile tanks, and talk to them like a crazy person.
  • If I were to ever get another pet of my own (my cats are both communal, and I've not had a pet of my own since my treefrog Tad), I would probably get a cornsnake or somethin'

Something unusual but not too hard to take care of.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Corn snakes are definitely easier than ball pythons, but I like having bigger pets. Makes them easier to give physical affection without severely injuring them. (I say with regards to animals that have little concept of social living :P)

I secretly would like a Burmese python, except I am aware that:
    A) They are some of the harder pet snakes to take care of
    B) I would regularly find snake splat in parts of my house that I would not necessarily want it. Yay bodily fluids :|
  • I think I'd prefer a little corn snake to a ball python. 

I want to scare houseguests, but not all the houseguests, if you know what I mean.
  • I have four cats and one dog, who is 7 months old; he's named Roland after the protagonist of Stephen King's Gunslinger series.  He's half Black Lab, half German Shepherd.  Full of energy, bounce, chewing anything he can get his teeths into, and stealing food.  A bit of a brat.  But he's sweet natured and smart and most of the rest should calm down as he grows up.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    doggies~ :D
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    From Tvtropes, in 2010:

Princess, my old, near-blind, almost-deaf golden retriever who
    usually does nothing but sleep, steals cantaloupe and can somehow tell
    the difference between ripe and unripe cantaloupes. She takes them from
    the top of the lane I live on, and drops them, allowing gravity to
    roll them down for her.

From 2011:

I have a very, very, very old Golden Retriever named Princess. She's older than I am. She spends most of her time
    sleeping, and most of the rest of the time eating.

She steals cantaloupes when she feels particularly active, her
    panting is loud and a constant annoyance, and she smells bad. She's
    probably the gentlest, most submissive dog ever. My younger sister
    pretty much learned to walk holding on to Princess's tail, and didn't
    get bitten once.

And now she's having trouble standing up and walking around. She might not have long.

From october 2011: 

Aye, my faithful dog, Princess, a very old Golden Retriever
    who never ever growled or bit or even nipped at anyone, died this
    June.

She died of old age at six in the morning as my dad held her and
    comforted her. He was going to take her to the vet to be put down, but
    the Vet didn't open until a few hours later.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Aliroz said:

From Tvtropes, in 2010:

Princess, my old, near-blind, almost-deaf golden retriever who
    usually does nothing but sleep, steals cantaloupe and can somehow tell
    the difference between ripe and unripe cantaloupes. She takes them from
    the top of the lane I live on, and drops them, allowing gravity to
    roll them down for her.

From 2011:

I have a very, very, very old Golden Retriever named Princess. She's older than I am. She spends most of her time
    sleeping, and most of the rest of the time eating.

She steals cantaloupes when she feels particularly active, her
    panting is loud and a constant annoyance, and she smells bad. She's
    probably the gentlest, most submissive dog ever. My younger sister
    pretty much learned to walk holding on to Princess's tail, and didn't
    get bitten once.

And now she's having trouble standing up and walking around. She might not have long.

From october 2011: 

Aye, my faithful dog, Princess, a very old Golden Retriever
    who never ever growled or bit or even nipped at anyone, died this
    June.

She died of old age at six in the morning as my dad held her and
    comforted her. He was going to take her to the vet to be put down, but
    the Vet didn't open until a few hours later.

:(
  • Sorry to hear.  Sounds like she had a great life, though.
  • edited 2014-05-28 15:08:26
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    I got to spend sixteen years with her, and she was older than I was when we got her (she was spayed and debarked when we got her.  She had a very quiet bark, but very loud breathing.  My littlest sister for years thought that the answer to "what do dogs say" was to pant loudly.)

She loved snow.  She'd roll and roll around in it, making doggie snow-angels.  She caught mice ( mice were a huge fear of me when I was little).

She farted all the time.  She liked to swim and go with us when she went fishing.  She loved to eat cheese but she always threw it up, and somehow thought that she was supposed to throw up on the living room carpet instead of outside.

WE got her from the animal rescue.  It was only after she died that I read her records from when we got her.  I learned that her full name was "princess of preakness".
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I have a cat.

She used to be very sweet, but then my brother's friends were mean to her, so now she is only sweet to family members and quiet people.
    Oh jeez, I hate when people do shit like that.

Sadie's anxiety issues stem from two major causes. First, the family she was rescued from had a toddler. This family thought that the proper way to discipline a (less than a year old at the time) puppy that plays rough with your toddler is to kick her in the face. I also have a sneaking suspicion that the toddler may have been playing rough with her first, but I can't say for sure that's what happened. Because of this, she hates kids, and coincidentally, I'm not a huge fan of them either.

Second, the other dogs at the rescue shelter probably bullied her. It's the best explanation I can think of for why she's even more defensive towards dogs than she is towards humans, regardless of age.
  • Odradek said:

I have a cat.

She used to be very sweet, but then my brother's friends were mean to her, so now she is only sweet to family members and quiet people.
    My ex-stepdad kicked one of our old cats (Ebonie) down the stairs when she was a kitten. She's been hyper-skittish and generally just hides all the time ever since.

She's still living in the basement of our old house, actually. Sometime next week we're going to get her and drop her off at a farm. An attended farm though, they take care of their cats there.
  • edited 2016-04-26 03:39:19
    I miss my turtle. :(  Turtles, actually, but for most of the time it was just one.

I also had katydids for a while.

And a mouse for one night.

I've occasionally considered getting a dog.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Jane said:

If I were to ever get another pet of my own (my cats are both communal, and I've not had a pet of my own since my treefrog Tad), I would probably get a cornsnake or somethin'

Something unusual but not too hard to take care of.

Consider an axolotl, perhaps?
    I just realized that post was from two years ago
    axies are still cool tho
  • I can't believe that this thread happened and I never posted in it to say

meow :3c
  • Jane said:

Odradek said:

I have a cat.

My ex-stepdad kicked one of our old cats (Ebonie) down the stairs when she was a kitten. She's been hyper-skittish and generally just hides all the time ever since.

She's still living in the basement of our old house, actually. Sometime next week we're going to get her and drop her off at a farm. An attended farm though, they take care of their cats there.
    as a somewhat sad update to this post, Ebonie is probably the healthiest of our still-living cats now. Sans maybe our new kitten.

Shaggie is overweight and Onyx has all kinds of health problems.
  • Yeah, this is an old thread.  Also the only "mindless_snowclone" thread that wasn't made by Viani (or me) -- not that there's anything wrong with that but I figured I'd brought out enough nonsense for a day.

Also surprised I hadn't posted in it myself.
  • I have multiple negative experiences with dogs. Most of them make me kind of jumpy these days, to the point where I think my best friend probably thought I was going to have a panic attack the last time I visited (they have two dogs and a cat).

I would not be opposed to having a bird, however. Axolotls are also groovy, though I would want to do a shit ton of research before getting either.
  • edited 2016-04-26 15:46:01
    I like going up to dogs (of friendly owners of course) and letting them lick the back of my hand.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)

I like going up to dogs (of friendly owners of course) and letting them lick the back of my hand.