Software migration

edited 2014-05-27 05:13:26 in Site Talk
Realistically, how likely would it be to find functionally stable, cheap forum other than vanilla? Would there be a demand for it?

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    There is Discourse; however, a forum software switch is not in the cards, at least not now.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    problem is database migration
    we'd have to make this forum into an archive and switch it out, really.
  • I kinda prefer Vanilla over IPB/PHPBB/the usual suspects, mainly because it makes post text easier to read and discourages things like big sig images everywhere.
  • edited 2014-05-27 06:08:29
    Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    yeah, iirc discourse doesn't really do the "big sig" thing and also has the advantage of being written in not-PHP.

but again, it'd be a huge software thing for lee, so
  • b-b-but I like Vanilla :|

I feel like I'm in the minority for actually preferring it, though I guess it's cool since we're not changing
    I prefer it to stuff like phpBB where you have to click through to a subforum in order to see topics, at least.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I do want to upgrade to Vanilla 2.1 at some point, but I also don't want to just dump it on the site since we have a few modifications to 2.0.18 in place. My plan is to download the database and the HTML folder, replicate the site on my Linux laptop, install 2.1 there and see what happens.
  • Microsoft Excel flew south for the winter
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    @Lee: What? You mean you don't wanna do it Fast Eddie-style and make all sorts of tweaks to the live site without testing them first? What madness!
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I do like Vanilla on an aesthetic level, even though the default theme is obviously based on one of Facebook's designs
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS

@Lee: What? You mean you don't wanna do it Fast Eddie-style and make all sorts of tweaks to the live site without testing them first? What madness!

Hehehehe.
    will vanilla 2.1 actually fucking work on my nexus 7 that's the question
  • Given that I absolutely hate phpBB, I am personally rather happy with Vanilla.