Buzz Word of the Month: Apologist

edited 2011-12-05 18:23:42 in General
That man seems reasonable, but he's on the opposing side of my argument.

HE MUST BE APOLOGIST.

SUFFER NOT THE APOLOGIST TO LIVE.

Pedo Apologist, Rape Apologist, Pony Apologist, Furry Apologist.

It is now become one of those Nouns that you attach to the ends of titles of things you don't like.

Comments

• i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind

apologist apologist

i don't know what it means, but i hear it next to things i don't like, so it must be bad

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    The use of that word as such never made sense to me. Of course the first two examples provided are bad things, the last two I have no idea why they "should" be. Or rather, I do, but I just don't agree that they are bad.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Apologist seems to mean a very different thing out of theology. 

Apologetics: Apologetics (from Greek ἀπολογία, "speaking in defense") is the discipline of defending a position (often religious) through the systematic use of reason.

I think the definition still works, but it definitely is used in a derogatory way to attack someone. Outside of theology, I think I've seen the phrase "Holocaust apologists" the most often.

Random thought: Anyone have an opinion on what's worse, a "Holocaust apologists" or a "Holocaust denier"? 
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    Apologist. Not sure why I think that, but they're def worse.
  • @OP: I'm sorry to hear that.
  • There are no Holocaust deniers. They don't exist! The Holocaust happened damnit and nothing will convince me otherwise.
  • Holocaust denier denier?

....What? There are Holocaust deniers

That doesn't mean their views reflect reality.
  • Regardless of if deniers do exist I refuse to believe that it didn't happen. It happened damnit There is absolutely no proof that it didn't.

No one here is really debating that.

At least, I'm unaware of any heapers that believe the holocaust didn't exist. 
  • That's because ther eare none! There is no such thi ng as a Heaper who doesn't beleive the Holocaust happened. It is a complete and utter myth that anyone like that exists.

Tnu, did you even click on that link to a multi-page wikipedia article I provided? There are laws AGAINST holocaust denial in some countries.
  • That's...Interesting sorry I didn't see a link but while I don't like deniers I don't think there should be laws against any sort of speech.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    >Pedo Apologist, Rape Apologist, Pony Apologist, Furry Apologist.

First two are bad because why the fuck would you defend those things.

Latter two are fine in theory but might mean you were getting too defensive about your interests.
  • Leave my Pony love alone!
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Yes, just like that.

(Ponies are awesome btw)
  • edited 2012-01-12 21:32:20
    wait no not here
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    Rott: Sorry to hear what?

heh
  • Is Vorpy ever going to post ano ther one of these?
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Do you know what gets on my back?

American Dream apologists.

To be fair, politicians and many political commentators really have no choice about discussing the American dream. 

The idea is ingrained into American society, as a few of the social mobility links that have been posted in the Aesop thread have pointed out. 

It also seems to depend a bit on what one's situation is, oddly enough the "American dream" might be more relevant to immigrants than people born in the US. The first generation comes in and has trouble adjusting usually do to language barriers, but then the second generation and subsequent generations tend to do a lot better.

They economic system tends to pull generations towards the economic mean. So rich and poor families are likely to end up at average wealth given enough generations.

I guess it really depends on what one thinks the "American Dream" is.