Sonic the Hedgehog

edited 2014-03-28 16:35:03 in General Media
A longstanding game franchise, known for its dramatic ups and downs through the years, but these days there do look to be more ups than downs.

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    But as for downs: "It looks like the Princess was moved to another location!" is such a clunky, corporate-sounding sentence.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I am sort of a Sonic fan. Sort of.

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
  • edited 2014-03-28 16:49:50
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    I have fond memories of the Genesis games. I'm happy that the franchise still exists, even though I haven't bothered to actually play any of the Dreamcast or later games.

Also, Pokecapn's Let's Play Sonic 2006 and Docfuture's Let's Play Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Special Edition are some of the funniest things I've seen on the entire internet.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Come to think of it, my current interest in electronic music is at least 75% because of those early Sonic soundtracks.
  • edited 2014-03-28 17:18:04
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I've always kind of preferred pokecapn's LP of Sonic Unleashed, if only because that's a better game and they're actually enjoying it (for the most part).

Is it wrong to enjoy Unleashed? As far as gimmicks go, Sonic the Werehog was actually fun, and they managed to pull off the "Sonic interacting with humans" thing much better than any of the prior 3D games, if only because they gave the humans more cartoony designs. It also set the stage for the franchise's return to form, and the narrative wasn't so self-serious. Though it was set around Sonic's world, and we didn't see any locations from prior Sonic games...
    Though I don't actually know how to approach Sonic and seriousness...the gradual abandonment of the environmental message evident in the older games does kind of irk me, even if some of the more recent ones return to it.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I really liked the old games, I liked the games after Sonic Adventure, and I've never really not liked that series.
    Anonus said:

Though I don't actually know how to approach Sonic and seriousness...

It was easier, I guess, in the 2-D games. Have the level designs get gradually more menacing, have a final boss fight in space with really dramatic music, and BAM, it's serious. While the later games suddenly had to have dialogue and an explicitly spelled-out plot. The more stuff you throw in, the more possibilities of messing up...

Ever see that 90s anime Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie? (I think the whole thing is on youtube. That's where I saw it.) I thought it got the tone just right.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Rolling around at the speed of sound,
    Got places to go, gotta follow my rainbow.
    Can't stick around, have to keep moving on,
    Guess what lies ahead, only one way to find out!
    Must keep on moving ahead,
    No time for guessing, follow my plan instead.
    Trusting in what you can't see,
    Take my lead I'll set you free.

Follow me, set me free,
    Trust me and we will escape from the city.
    I'll make it through, follow me.
    Follow me, set me free,
    I'll make it through prove it to you.

Follow me!
    Oh yeah! (x2)

Danger is lurking around every turn,
    Trust your feelings, got to live and learn.
    I know with some luck that I'll make it through,
    Got no other options, only one thing to do!
    I don't care what lies ahead,
    Find the next stage, no matter what that may be.
    Take my lead, I'll set you free.

Follow me, set me free,
    Follow me, set me free,
    I'll make it through through, prove it to you.

Follow me!
    Follow me!

I'll make it through,
    Oh Yeah!

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Anonus said:

But as for downs: "It looks like the Princess was moved to another location!" is such a clunky, corporate-sounding sentence.

It ain't no "but our princess is in another castle," that's fer sure.

I have fond memories of the Genesis games, but little desire to play them anymore. I still dig the music, though. And I am more than willing to steal the graphics for my own use
    (2015 self)
    Odradek said:

Rolling around at the speed of sound,
    Got places to go, gotta follow my rainbow.
    Can't stick around, have to keep moving on,
    Guess what lies ahead, only one way to find out!
    Must keep on moving ahead,
    Trusting in what you can't see,
    Take my lead I'll set you free.

Follow me, set me free,
    Follow me, set me free,
    I'll make it through prove it to you.

Follow me!
    Oh yeah! (x2)

Danger is lurking around every turn,
    Trust your feelings, got to live and learn.
    I know with some luck that I'll make it through,
    Got no other options, only one thing to do!
    I don't care what lies ahead,
    Find the next stage, no matter what that may be.
    Take my lead, I'll set you free.

Follow me, set me free,
    Follow me, set me free,
    I'll make it through through, prove it to you.

Follow me!
    Follow me!

I'll make it through,
    Oh Yeah!

I love that song!
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ogre and hedgehog

that's another good one for the forbidden love thread
  • edited 2014-03-29 01:10:42
    I was already aware of that meme, but I still think that DWA is the Sonic of animated movies and that Bee Movie was their Sonic '06

(it does say something about how absolutely broken down Sonic Team was by then that they thought that "Sonic the Hedgehog" was the best name for that game)
    Sonic Advance is pretty rad.
  • -mutters something about Rayman-
  • edited 2014-03-29 11:49:32
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Anonus said:

(it does say something about how absolutely broken down Sonic Team was by then that they thought that "Sonic the Hedgehog" was the best name for that game)

It seems to be some kind of law of the internet: Any discussion of Sonic the Hedgehog will eventually devolve into either complaining about the fandom, or complaining about Sonic 2006.

I've heard a rumor that Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 were supposed to be the first two parts of a trilogy—part three would have been titled Silver the Hedgehog. Which just makes the basic structure of Sonic 2006 all the more baffling. Shadow had his own game, and Silver was going to get his own game, so why did each of them also take up a full third of Sonic's game? And that bit in the Final Story where they hype up Sonic as the ultimate hero of the setting by having Sonic get killed like a punk, and then rest of the cast laments that he was the only one who could have saved them from the universe-eating mad god. That's the level of writing I'd expect from someone's first self-insert fanfiction! Then when the cast brings Sonic back to life with the chaos emeralds, he still enlists Shadow's and Silver's help to beat Solaris.

So yeah. Sonic Team fundamentally had no idea what they were doing on that game.
  • That blue hedgehog lives his own way and doesn't let the goddamn taxman bring him down. A true American patriot.

Not like that damn commie plumber, Goddamnit
    hay wilford
    (2015 self)

That blue hedgehog lives his own way and doesn't let the goddamn taxman bring him down. A true American patriot.

Wilford! :D
  • edited 2014-03-29 22:58:28

That blue hedgehog lives his own way and doesn't let the goddamn taxman bring him down. A true American patriot.

Sonic doesn't pay taxes because he doesn't have a job
    GET A JOB, SONIC
    and thus it was that Sonic gave up fighting Dr. Robotnik and got a job in his factory instead
    Sonic gave in to capitalism at last?
    they got him in the end
    Sonic keeps insisting that the assembly lines need to move faster. Robotnik likes that idea, and promotes Sonic to Supervisor, then to Manager. Sonic keeps pushing the other workers to run the assembly lines faster, and faster. Eggman Inc starts to see its profits decline because they're over-saturating the market. But before Robotnik can do anything about that, all the machinery in the factory suffers catastrophic breakdowns from operating too fast, for too long.

"We're ruined, ruined!" Robotnik wails. "Replacing five of those machines in one year would be barely possible. Replacing over 200 at once? Impossible! There just isn't enough money." He turns to glare at Sonic. "This is your fault, you know."

Sonic, his sneaker-clad feet resting on Robotnik's desk, leans his chair back as he answers. "Oh, really? Those hunk-a-junks couldn't go fast enough and somehow that's my fault?"

"It's precisely your fault! Your Gotta go fast! initiatives pushed the machinery past their operational limits! You neglected routine inspections and maintenance! You couldn't have destroyed those machines better if you were... trying..."

Sonic smirks as realization finally comes to Robotnik, and with it, rage.

"You miserable blue bolshevik! You did this on purpose!"

"Gotta go! Time to update my resume!" Sonic shouts as he zips away.

"Come back here, or I'll retroactively strip your Manager of the Year award!" Robotnik pounds his desk impotently, then screams to the heavens, "Curse that hedgehog!"

Currently, Robotnik is trying to sue Sonic, but none of is lawyer-bots can catch up to serve him the court orders.
    predictable
    I know this sounds TV Tropes Nightmare Fuel page-ish, but is it wrong that I always found the presence of the Wisp-calling voice during Sonic Colors's final boss fight creepy? Like he'd turned against you?
    Watching pokecapn's LP of Sonic '06, I don't think he likes Tails :(
  • edited 2014-04-10 06:16:20
    Also they think every song in the game except for "His World" is shit

As for my thoughts on the franchise, I at times wonder what the point of grinding is

It seems to persist primarily because the developers find it an easy way to deliver edge-of-your-seat speed and thrills
    "This is dumb, I'm going to follow a spaceship with an owl" (the owl is really an eagle but still)

another thing pointing out how dumb Sonic's self-seriousness was
    also of course the music's screaming it's in this game

I admit, I like the look of Kingdom Valley (and Radical Train)

if only the graphics here weren't so underdeveloped

of course this is the game that ended up being the point at which they were all "this shit has got to stop" so
    I really like the Sonic 2006 soundtrack, but it works a lot better as music outside the game than inside the game.
  • edited 2014-04-10 09:21:18
    Seeing all of these references to "Mach Speed" sections on TV Tropes really chaps my ass

THEY ARE CALLED SUPER SPEED SECTIONS. I CHECKED THE MANUAL ONLINE TO CONFIRM THEIR NAME.
    so fix it

it is a wiki
    I figured...

Also, one of the things that frustrates me about the LP: 9 times out of 10, there's a 1up and they don't notice it.
    Yeah, whenever the game wasn't making things needlessly difficult for Pokecapn and friends, they made it needlessly difficult all on their own.
  • To be fair, if you were playing it in a 48-hour marathon session, you'd start to fail to notice things too.
    Why am I listening to "For True Story" (the original version)? It seems to be more of a Shadow song than a Sonic song...
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    GOTTA GO FAST!
    8D
    (2015 self)
    Byakuren said:

GOTTA GO FAST!
    I love that.
    Everyone who is even remotely a Sonic The Hedgehog fan needs to watch Let's Play Sonic 2: Special Edition.
    8D
    (2015 self)
    Miko said: