Comments

• ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    (2015 self)
    Pletirtops.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Are those the pennies that were struck on other metals while copper was scarce during World War II?
    (2015 self)

Are those the pennies that were struck on other metals while copper was scarce during World War II?

Yep!

The steel one is magnetic!
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Sweet!
  • edited 2014-03-08 16:08:18
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Look in your grandparent's couches and coin jars, they're not all that uncommon.  Most of them have not been collected and are still out there. (I do not have any of these coins.  I've only read that the silver one is magnetic)

Now, THIS is a rare, valuable coin (I do not have)image
    Look at her lovely flowing hair!

IT was hugely criticized.  She looked too "wild" and untamed.  IT was
    "civilized" up into:

That later one looks slightly more european (or so I've read.  I don't really think so.  I think she's just wearing a bow and has some clothes on).
    Ah, two of America's favorite things combined: money and racism!
  • edited 2014-03-08 16:01:33
    (2015 self)
    Also, they put clothes on her.

But the reason why they decided for a native american model for LIberty in the first place was that the actual American Revolution was very pro-native.  They dressed like the Amerindians in the Boston Tea Party, they called themselves "Americans" (back then, that term meant ethnically native american.); a lot of their propaganda and iconography was native-american inspired; they took the Eagle symbol from the Iroquois league.

Remember the Don't Tread On Me Snake?  Yeah.

In fact, some scholars think that the early American Revolution's desire for independant small states was, in fact, based on the Native American tribes.

Of course, when America became a real nation, it had to be civilized.  I mean, how're you going to be a trading partner with Spain, France, Britain, if you're not gonna put all that native crap behind you?
  • edited 2014-03-08 16:15:39
    (2015 self)
    But still, Liberty appeared on every dollar (they changed the dollar coin, but each design had her on it) until 1971  (non rare coin.  I do not have it)

Look, it says LIBERTY but that's not LIBERTY, that's Dwight Eisenhower and his eighthead (twice a forehead).
    I actually have one of those Eisenhower dollars, albeit in worse condition than the one in that picture.
    (2015 self)

I actually have one of those Eisenhower dollars, albeit in worse condition than the one in that picture.

Eisenhower:  First U.S. President to be on the dollar coin.

Now, they have this thing where every president gets to be on a dollar coin.  And also, every president's spouse.
    Not every president! They're skipping over any president who hasn't been dead at least 2 years.

Which rules out Carter, both Bushes, Clinton, and Obama. :P
  • edited 2014-03-08 17:07:50
    (2015 self)
    Spoiler:

John Tyler, played by Peter CUshing.
    Knox:

James Buchanan, played by Millard Filmore.image

Andrew "mop on his head" Johnson

Ulysses S. "help help a beard-shaped parasite is infesting my bra-HELLO FRAIL HUMANS" Grant.

THis completely awesome guy!  Birchard!

James Abram "beardybeardawesomebeard" Garfield:
    Chester Allan Arthur, ticked off that they forgot his middle name:
    Our Best President, rocking the Bow-Tie:
    THe lost prince of the Harrison dynasty, seeking refuge from the taint bestowed on his name by his sinister, horrific, atrocious grandfather:

Our Best President, still rocking the bow-tie:

And, breaking a streak of awesome presidents six long, we have some d-bag from Ohio.  BOOOOO!

oUR LAST PRESIDENT TO HAVE FACIAL HAIR.

I love this guy!  Gamaliel!  He's made of sand!

Calvin COOLidge

Delano, wearing Theodore's glasses:

• edited 2014-03-08 17:12:21
    (2015 self)
    A wild THREE CENT COIN appears!

• edited 2014-03-08 17:20:20
    (2015 self)
    steelllllllllllllllllllla!