Two Views on My Little Pony

edited 2014-02-14 03:38:39 in General
The crew of MLP:FIM have worked very hard to create a world for the franchise and a continuity with it...

But if the continuity doesn't suit me, I can just remember that the show exists to sell toys, and toys are playthings! I can make Twilight Sparkle and Rarity smooch all I want!
Tagged:

Comments

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Anonus said:

The crew of MLP:FIM have worked very hard to create a world for the franchise and a continuity with it...

But if the continuity doesn't suit me, I can just remember that the show exists to sell toys, and toys are playthings! I can make Twilight Sparkle and Rarity smooch all I want!
    Most shippers don't seem to have an issue using continuity to support their smooching fantasies. ^_^;;
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I dunno

I just worry that Rarilight has little sound canonical basis
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Did you see how Rarity was holding Twi's hoof at the very end of "The Crystal Empire, Part 2"?
    Well, yes...

And in one of the comics it shows that Rarity was taking care of Twilight when she got sick...

I mean... this is at least grade 'B' shipping material here. 
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I thought the point of shipping was to violate canon

VIOLATE IT
    I'll be honest, reading "VIOLATE IT" made my mind go to the splotchy backgrounds from The Ren & Stimpy Show.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    your mind goes in strange places
  • edited 2014-02-14 22:23:51
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Y'know, I have no problem with excessive tra-la-la frilly girliness in principle, but I find it kind of hard to watch stuff in that vein. I just become vaguely embarrassed and confused and don't know what to do. But more than that, sing-along musical numbers are the one thing guaranteed to make me go deer in the headlights. And girly frilly musical numbers... well... yeah. I blank.
    MLP:FIM isn't really like that...
  • Anonus said:

MLP:FIM isn't really like that...

I meant "tra-la-la girly", but yeah, it has lots of musical numbers
  • edited 2014-02-14 22:36:55
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I honestly haven't found the show all that interesting outside of a few memorable moments, but I think that's partly just my dislike of the TV medium.

and yes, I know I have a pony avatar
  • I tried to watch it once when it was new and nearly contracted diabetes.

In retrospect I am mostly glad I just didn't get involved in the fandom.
  • edited 2014-02-14 22:54:46
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I had the same reaction, although I remember seeing a clip of Rarity singing a song that was a blatant homage to one of the key songs in Sunday in the Park with George and I thought that was genuinely cute and clever... if still a bit much for me.

It seems like a really solid kids' show. Just not my kind of thing.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Incidentally, that song is from Anonus's favorite episode...
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    You guys should look up Sunday in the Park with George on YouTube. It's lovely. Same guy that did Sweeney Todd, but basically the complete opposite thing in subject matter.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Sounds fun!
  • I thought the point of shipping was to violate canon

VIOLATE IT

not for meeeeeeee
    I know

*weeps with envy*
    Uh oh, we got a broken record here.
    But Rarilight isn't canon like Rosemary is...
  • edited 2014-02-15 01:42:30
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

I honestly haven't found the show all that interesting outside of a few memorable moments, but I think that's partly just my dislike of the TV medium.

and yes, I know I have a pony avatar

In your defense, it's a rather fitting pony avatar.

MetaFour said:

Uh oh, we got a broken record here.

Anonus said:

But Rarilight isn't canon like Rosemary is...

I think that was directed at me and the triple post I cleaned up with a little too much fervor. 
  • edited 2014-02-15 01:44:45
    Pizza Dog
    Just because fanfiction can trample on the established canon doesn't mean most people like it when it does, they're fans of the thing for a reason.

If a fanfic has to utterly destroy what everyone loves about the series in the first place just to establish something, I think it's alright to start questioning exactly what you liked in the first place that you choose to write a fanfic about it.

Shipping is the same way, which is usually why characters with close interactions are usually shipped.

Just because fanfiction can trample on the established canon doesn't mean most people like it when it does, they're fans of the thing for a reason.

If a fanfic has to utterly destroy what everyone loves about the series in the first place just to establish something, I think it's alright to start questioning exactly what you liked in the first place that you choose to write a fanfic about it.

Shipping is the same way, which is usually why characters with close interactions are usually shipped.

This is a pretty good point, as I mentioned, shipping usually uses canon as a springboard, not something to be swept under the rug.
    Iron Will and King Sombra are soul mates and none of you can tell me otherwise!
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    FiM is occasionally 'tra-la-la girly' but on the whole it really isn't

it's kind of cute obviously

i suppose these things are relative
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    with hindsight i kind of overrated this show a lot when i first started watching it

there are some scenes that i still really like, though

• edited 2014-02-15 11:54:02
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    hm

the animation isn't as good as i remembered
  • edited 2014-02-15 18:16:57
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

I think it's not the animation that sells it, but the attention to detail. 

Characters are often doing little things in the background or making simply glorious facial expressions.

This is something the third seasons suffered with slightly, which contributed to its lackluster performance.

Fourth season is a little more mindful, and occasionally seems to force these little details, but has seemed to mostly got back into the swing of things (knock on wood, haven't watched today's episode).
    Today's episode is ace. It's the kind of pandering that gives pandering a good name.
    Tachyon said:

hm

the animation isn't as good as i remembered

The first season looks like Johnny Test compared to the second and third ones
    The animation always struck me as typical Flash stuff, though helped by the fact that Lauren Faust's art style is much better suited to Flash than the typical cheap Canadian cartoon
    I do find it amazing how they were able to whip Studio B into shape

Almost all they've worked on in recent years is cheap junk that nobody cares about

MetaFour said:

Today's episode is ace. It's the kind of pandering that gives pandering a good name.

I watched it.

My faith in the cartoon series is pretty much completely restored now. There's still plenty of opportunities for lack-luster episodes this season, but they'd have to bungle quite a few for me to be concerned here.