If you controlled the rails

edited 2014-01-20 14:20:48 in General
If you could change the way rail works in your area--or in your country--what would you change?

I'll start. I don't know quite so much about Amtrak, so I'll limit myself to the Puget Sound area. Here's an ugly sketch of my proposed Puget Sound Metropolitan Railway (Seattle Subway? I dunno) map http://postimg.org/image/i2mzat8hf/

I'd link up the train stations with ferry terminals and bus stations whenever possible.

Comments

• I feel like you and CA will get along just fine.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Kexruct said:

I feel like you and CA will get along just fine.

When did I become the railroad guy? Lee knows way more about railroads than I do. I think Crystal does too.

Anyway, I decided that in Centralia, passenger rail remains a popular way to travel. I never really put much thought into why that's the case, but perhaps I should. There has to be some reason that air travel didn't really catch on in my magical kingdom...
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I'd make there be more rails and way less asphalt roads.

I love love love rails and trains.
  • Oh, I never thought you were the Heap's resident railroad enthusiast; I just thought roads and rails are fairly similar interests.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Ah, I see.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I have a strange sort of fondness for train stations that are basically just a sign and a bench, like the North Philly station, the local two stops before the Airport, and about half of the Norristown line.

You notice these things when you take the train enough. They are pleasingly lonely.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i find train stations a little unpleasant...

i know there's a lot that could be done to improve British railways, but i don't know enough to go about fixing them. i'm sure the fares could stand to be less steep, at least.

i'm told the service was better before Major privatized the railways, but i'm not sure whether turning back the clock on that front is really feasible; i suspect not.
  • edited 2014-01-23 12:51:40
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It saddens me that so many big railroads have been privatized over the past 30 years

Conrail, British Rail, the Canadian National...

The Centralia National won't be privatized, that's for sure
    Correction: It is the North Broad station that is so sparse. That said, if I am not mistaken, the two North Philadelphia stations are pretty tiny as well.

Incidentally, I just counted all of the SEPTA Regional Rail stops. There are 154 of them. Same as the number of dollars that my boyfriend would have spend on his textbook.

Wire is everywhere.
    (Note: At our house, I can walk to the nearest train station in less than five minutes; here I have to walk for a good fifteen minutes to get to the bus stop, then ride for twenty-plus minutes to the nearest station.)
    I know, right?
  • I have a strange sort of fondness for train stations that are basically just a sign and a bench, like the North Philly station, the local two stops before the Airport, and about half of the Norristown line.

You notice these things when you take the train enough. They are pleasingly lonely.
    i am quite fond of the more outlying suburban stops of the london underground. i used to catch a train right to the end of one of the lines for college every day and there is a pleasing loneliness in the train slowly emptying out and emerging out of the city into suburbs and semi-countryside, and the stations (while none of them are small) tend to be quite lonely in a nice way. there's something inescapably serene about a train platform completely empty of anyone. maybe it's the contrast with what transport systems tend to be like more in the middle of the city. i dont know if youve read 'adlestrop' (its possibly as well known as a 20th century poem can get in britain) but it is a cool poem about lonely stations.

also a lot of the suburban parts of the underground were built in the edwardian era or the interwar period and are above ground, so rather than a tunnel you get lovely period architecture to look at

• kill living beings
    artillery premounted on all trains for the future war
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    I'd put bomb shelters. In my capital city, I'd put a second, deeper, secret, underground railway for connecting important government and defence buildings

• @CentralAve: Is it because Centralia has but a small airport but has been well-served by rail travel for a few decades now?  Or maybe it's on hilly or craggy terrain and thus it's hard to find a good place to build a big airport without clearing and flattening a lot of land?

Also, if I controlled the rails nearby, there would be a ring rail about 15-20 miles radius outside DC.
    Alternately, public transportation is less expensive than automobile use, and thus trains and pedestrian walkways are the primary mode of transportation.
  • fuel tax?  car tax?

Also, that ring rail around DC I was talking about, it had better connect GMU to National Harbor.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    The ring rail would be great, but as with pretty much any proposal to put a Potomac crossing between the American Legion bridge and Point of Rocks, it'd likely be stridently opposed by rich landowners in western Montgomery County.
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    Bumping this
  • kill living beings
    I'd have trains go vertically up tall buildings so instead of taking a car from the station to your destination, you just hang glide
  • There would be an "outer beltway" light rail service that would connect Fairfax City or George Mason University to National Harbor in Maryland.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Bigger fucking trains.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    You never said it had to be realistic.
  • Oh.

In that case, then there shall be bullet trains enabling high-speed travel between population centers in the United States.
  • kill living beings
    i'm with klinotaxis on this onw
    Let's see...if I were talking about Columbus, I'd start with giving us an Amtrak station. That way I'd be able to travel by train to other parts of the country without having to first go to Cleveland or Cincinnati.

Then I'd add light rail along High Street in the Short North and University District, perhaps extending up to Clintonville. There are a couple other parts of town that might benefit from light rail, but let's start small.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    extend the fucking purple line.  (fuck beverly hills and their anti-rail policies)
  • I would create a giant track called "The Belt" that would circumnavigate the entirety of the globe.

Even over water. Especially over water.
  • I'd complete the electrification from New York to Chicago that the Pennsylvania Railroad wanted to do but never could afford to finish.  They got as far as Harrisburg and that was it, alas.  The war got in the way, and then in the peacetime there were no more profits and government backing went to the roads.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    While we're at it, strike a deal with CSX to electrify at least part of the RF&P Sub. VRE's already heavily invested in diesel, but Amtrak could run Acela all the way to Richmond if they did it right.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Morven said:

I'd complete the electrification from New York to Chicago that the Pennsylvania Railroad wanted to do but never could afford to finish.  They got as far as Harrisburg and that was it, alas.  The war got in the way, and then in the peacetime there were no more profits and government backing went to the roads.

Yeah, this.
  • high speed rail b/w all major cities plz
  • high speed rail b/w all major cities plz
    high speed rail b/w all major cities plz