A Public Service Announcement

edited 2014-01-08 12:30:18 in General
*ahem*

Grinding has not been mandatory in JRPGs for over 20 years. Thank you!

Comments

• ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    You mean level grinding?

You realize that video games aren't supposed to be fun, they're supposed to be about doing a repetitive task for hours in order to get a reward so you can maybe have fun.

Seriously, you don't want to spend twenty hours smacking low-level enemies for tiny amounts of experience so as to level up? Where's your sense of hard work?

-pst, I don't actually play JRPG.-
  • edited 2014-01-08 16:07:04
    What is this announcement the sarcastic 20th anniversary of?
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    It's the sarcastic 20th anniversary of you having a different definition of sarcasm to the rest of the planet.

Alternatively, it's the 20th anniversary of Alice getting tired of seeing patently ridiculous statements like "You have to grind to beat Final Fantasy VI!" or, heavens forbid, "You have to grind to beat Chrono Trigger!"
  • I don't think I've ever played an RPG that didn't require some form of grinding.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    On the rare occasion I play an RPG, I grind like hell.

Even if it's not absolutely required, it certainly makes things easier in the long run.
  • I like Japanese JRPGs.

:3
  • It's the sarcastic 20th anniversary of you having a different definition of sarcasm to the rest of the planet.

Alternatively, it's the 20th anniversary of Alice getting tired of seeing patently ridiculous statements like "You have to grind to beat Final Fantasy VI!" or, heavens forbid, "You have to grind to beat Chrono Trigger!"

Oh, I thought there was a specific game you were complaining about that was released on 7 January 1993 that actually did specifically require grinding.
  • since when do you have to grind in chrono trigger?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    7 January 1993 was 21 years ago anyhow
  • edited 2014-01-08 16:52:37
    fuck, right, it's 2014

i meant 7 january 1994
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    this thread was posted on the 8th
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Forcing players to grind is bad design.
  • edited 2014-01-08 17:13:27
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Kexruct said:

I don't think I've ever played an RPG that didn't require some form of grinding.

(Shameless self promotion time!)

When I pulled this off, I had to grind precisely once, and that was right before beating the game. This was with a deliberately sabotaged party that was never intended to be able to win in the first place. In a JRPG originally released in 1987.

Also, in my multiple Four Job Fiesta (again, a deliberately weakened party) runs of FFV, I have had to grind only in the first of those runs. And that was the first time I'd ever played FFV.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Episode 1221: Longest Set Up In Webcomic History
    I had that Final Fantasy strategy guide, even though I never played the game
  • Wait, the OP's statement is wrong.  I have heard that grinding is required in Final Fantasy VIII, which was released on 11 Feb 1999.
    Final Fantasy VIII is beatable without leveling, let alone grinding.
  • edited 2014-01-14 16:44:25
    Let me tell you. About Fallen London.
    Not really. If anything, FF8 punishes you for grinding, since enemies scale with your level.

fossilninja'd
  • kill living beings
    not how it felt when i played ffx or whatever it was

ruuuuun around

gosh 20 years ago was 1993 though wasn't it
  • Well, no.
  • not that it matters, because after the release of barkley: shut up and jam: gaiden, which does not require grinding, there became literally no reason to play any other jrpg, as the game genre had been mastered
    jrpgs still don't require grinding
  • edited 2017-07-05 16:37:56
    Modern JRPGs don't really have much of anything in common with 90s JRPGs and even most of those don't require grinding or have much in common with 80s RPGs which are the ones that actually did, so I suspect the issue is just the people saying stuff like that don't actually play any JRPGs.

Though I remember grinding in FFX but it was for like 20 minutes once ever.

Though also

grinding isn't bad.
  • kill living beings
    yeah it is. boring.
  • Some people specifically like grinding.
    I'm a grinder, I admit it.
    it seems I already said that above

I am beginning to repeat myself like an old cow
  • edited 2017-07-05 17:13:45
    I think it's somewhat relaxing and it's fun to have the game tell me I leveled up or got the items I want or whatever.

I don't exactly want to do it all that often or for very long, most of the time, but like, idk it's fine. Certainly I think allowing it is preferable to not. Many video game activities are repetitive and I don't think that's a problem.

I do basically agree that it shouldn't be mandatory for finishing the story of a game on normal difficulty or w/e though (but like, in practice it rarely is). Post-game stuff and hard modes though, idk do whatever.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i think there are fate stay night related rpgs that require a different type of grinding for mana transfer purposes
  • Calica said:

i think there are fate stay night related rpgs that require a different type of grinding for mana transfer purposes

escalator