Imagine a giant estate

edited 2014-01-03 10:41:12 in General
If you had a giant estate, where would it be? What style would it be in? What sorts of rooms would you be sure to include? And what about the garden?
Tagged:

Comments

• i'd like it to be situated in an old overgrown forest, and it'd be old and rambling with a big library and hidden rooms for the purposes of wanton debauchery and the whole place would be poorly lit

and there would be lilacs in the garden

but other than that i got nuthin
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    A Baroque manor by the sea that includes a large library.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    My royal palace! Big and pink and glittery with lots of rooms to explore

And a big library with lots of books full of Princess Magic spells

and a special bedroom for me and my prince
  • I wouldn't be able to describe it in detail without making this thread very NSFW.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Now I want to know.
  • edited 2014-01-03 15:01:22
    I think I'd like one a lot like what Naney described (minus the debauchery), something like the Forest Temple from Ocarina of Time.
  • Kexruct said:

I think I'd like one a lot like what Naney described (minus the debauchery), something like the Forest Temple from Ocarina of Time.

so you want secret rooms full of wontons?
  • Miko said:

Now I want to know.

my curiosity has been piqued as well
  • Kexruct said:

No, I want a room full of Won Ton, the unseen character from Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.
  • Kexruct said:

Kexruct said:

No, I want a room full of Won Ton, the unseen character from Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.
    real talk tho having a chinese buffet built into one's house would be hella rad
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)

I wouldn't be able to describe it in detail without making this thread very NSFW.

Tell us.
  • Corvidium said:

I wouldn't be able to describe it in detail without making this thread very NSFW.

Tell us.
    No! :D
  • jeez dude don't be pushy

(The other Jane)
    As for mine, it would be in some area of King County. It would have some elements of Neoclassical and some of Neogothic--specifically, the main entrance would be a lot like the North Front of Kedleston Hall ( http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f6/Kedleston_Hall_20080730-04.jpg  and http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/53/North_Front_of_Kedleston_Hall.png) with tall, Gothic-esque windows on the sides and the wings (connected with Gothic vaults) being towers with battlements. There would be a large library, a study, a music room, a greenhouse, and some hidden rooms and passageways. There'd be a guest wing, and the garage would be far off to the side, connected only through underground tunnels.  As for the garden, it'd be a landscape garden with a koi pond, bridges, recreations of ruins from various periods and locales (ancient Greece, China, medieval England), a view of Mount Rainier, willows, cherry trees, and lots of evergreens
  • Mo, we're gonna keep asking you until we find out. Just go to the NSFW thread and describe it there.
    I think I know how to get it out of him... :3

*poses sexily on a torture table with a belt in hand*
  • edited 2014-01-03 17:57:08

dudes really stop

if he don't wanna, he don't wanna, and it's rude to push
    They're the ones pushing!! I am just using diplomacy. ^_^
  • Miko said:

I think I know how to get it out of him... :3

*poses sexily on a torture table with a belt in hand*

Miko I don't even know what you look like.
  • ok guys i'll cave

my ideal mansion is [NSFW BELOW SPOILERS]
    Spoiler:
    a giant pillow fort

• ok guys i'll cave

my ideal mansion is [NSFW BELOW SPOILERS]

Spoiler:
    a giant pillow fort

aw frickle frackle
  • edited 2014-01-03 18:13:22
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    hmmmm

I'd have to think about this one, but a big library and lots of secret passages are a must. Balconies and tunnels and stuff. The garden would be a big maze that you could get lost and die in. Also, like Kex said, Forest Temple. With maybe a little Shadow Temple mixed in. And statues of busty nymphs
    Miko I don't even know what you look like.
    This is a thing that you should appreciate.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    :(
    *curls up in Imipolex G's lap*
  • I know what you look like from that photo you posted a while back. You're very pretty.
    *pets Miko*
    :)

I want to get lost in tunnels and hedge mazes sometimes. :D
  • My giant estate would be an apartment building where all of us get to live together and actually hang out in meatspace.

It would have meeting rooms (with electrical outlets) where we could do stuff together.  An indoor pool.  Maybe a small theater, or one of us could set that up in our own apartment.
    I would reside in the video arcade tower, which extends down into a coin-operated BDSM dungeon. Orbiting this tower by a magnetic field would be an upside-down library where you walk upside-down.
    also it would be off limits to everyone else and separated by a 3-meter-thick iron door.
    nobody can get into the video arcade tower? :(
    Well, they can, if they ask nicely. ^_^
    oh.
  • edited 2014-02-03 00:48:18
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Naney and I have weirdly similar living-place aesthetics.

Also, I did not know that this thread existed until now.
  • Also, in my giant estate, everyone would get to play a 3D game of territory control a la Risk.
  • If someone wins do you just give them the deed to your house?
  • edited 2014-02-03 04:13:48
    No, you encourage the losers to mount a rebellion, using new game-joining and alliance breaking/forming game features.

There's also a sign somewhere that says "the local dictatorship has gone [number] days without a rebellion".  Or something.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Alright, well first of all

I'm going to have a board game parlor, stocked with all the finest board games money can buy

and uh wait shit i didn't think past this
  • Board game parlor is a good idea.  So is a combined mini-theater / gaming room with a big screen, four chairs at the front, and audience seating behind them.
  • Also a halloween tradition of an exhibition run of Symphony of the Night.
  • Indoor and outdoor swimming pools.

Or possibly one pool, with indoor and outdoor sections.

At least one bridge over a part of the pool.  The bridge need not be hard; it could be a floating bridge rather than a stiff-construction bridge.
  • At least one room with two pianos.  And a harpsichord.  And a clavichord.  And an organ -- at least a small electric one, if not a cooler one.

Actually, since we're dreaming, let's make it a small pipe organ.
  • At least 15 different secret passageways.  Secret doors in bookshelves at the bare minimum.  At least one wall that's actually a door.  At least one passage that requires climbing to get into.  At least one passage that requires fitting through a painting or window frame to get through.  At least one door in the floor.  At least one door halfway up a wall.

Also at least one very realistic-looking painting of a hole or door, on a wall.
  • edited 2014-02-03 16:00:33
    At least three different contrasting architectural styles.  How about gothic, brutalism, and contemporary, and whatever strange drugs Frank Gehry is on.
  • A sound system built into the estate.  Wired to a central computer.  Which would make it possible to have the entire place play location-specific music from the Castlevania series (or other sources) with just a few clicks.
  • Crawl spaces (that are clean and can be used to do things like hide out stuff).

A ball pit, and connected playplace features.  Something like what Discovery Zone would have offered.
  • Must be located near shopping and public transit.

(The other Jane)
    I would say, for the architecture, Rococo, neo-Gothic, and Beaux-Arts

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i just want like a massive quasi-Victorian mansion with an enormous library, and with huge grounds with like a forest