The Home of the Future (of 2004)

edited 2014-01-02 17:45:20 in General
I specifically saved this for 2014 so it'd be an even decade ago: A PC Magazine article from 2004 detailing what cool technologies we'd have in our homes in the coming years:

I think the funniest thing is this idea that we'd need closets full of rack-mounted "storage" hardware in our own homes. Even terabyte hard drives are a nice compact size!

Comments

• TreTre
    edited 2014-01-02 18:02:18
    Wow. PC Mag knew their shit-- a lot of this stuff is possible (even commonplace) nowadays.

Hm!
  • Yeah, but then there's just..."a robot". 

That's probably a contractual obligation for writing about The Future, though.
  • They failed to consider The Cloud™

• More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Surprisingly accurate, except for the robots. There will probably never be robots walking around in everyday life.
  • here in PC Mag we can reveal that, in the future, everyone will live inside of habbo hotel
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    is that some kind of cow rug? why don't I have that?
  • Miko said:

Surprisingly accurate, except for the robots. There will probably never be robots walking around in everyday life.

The vacuum robot is actually a thing though, a Roomba to be exact. Maybe not controlled by phone but it's a thing. We got one for Xmas.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Honestly, this is pretty solid. Many of these things aren't common, but could be acquired with enough money.
  • Honestly, this is pretty solid. Many of these things aren't common, but could be acquired with enough money.

Also there's a fucking robot.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    8 entire megapixels!
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Kexruct said:

Honestly, this is pretty solid. Many of these things aren't common, but could be acquired with enough money.

Also there's a fucking robot.
    Well, with enough money one could have their own robot.

It just wouldn't be as useful as the thing they're describing here.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    "I think the funniest thing is this idea that we'd need closets full
    of rack-mounted "storage" hardware in our own homes. Even terabyte hard
    drives are a nice compact size!"

Terabyte?  Stop making up words, Central.  We don't have any terms beyond Gigabyte because Gigabyte is already absurdly large.  Absolutely huge computer games have maybe one gigabyte and they slow your entire computer down to a five to fifteen-second response delay, in addition to requiring you to uninstall all your other games and vastly slowing everything else down.

A gigabyte is like, whoa, amount of information.
  • Roombas are cute and I want one.