Anonus Watches "Rose"

edited 2011-11-07 03:05:15 in Liveblogs
At long last he joins his beloved Central Avenue in watching Doctor Who, and wonders if he will like it.

So far, he has watched the opening credits and a bit of the episode proper, which starts with a shot of space, then zooms into the UK, and then displays an alarm clock with "7:30" on it, which is going off. It looks like Rose is in a hurry to get to school.

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    You have me tempted to go find the episode somewhere, so I can watch along.

It's been quite a while since I've seen that one.
  • edited 2011-11-07 03:09:56
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    ...a bit further in, and nope, she's at a department store named "Henrik's", which does not seem to be a real store.

And now she's in an elevator and she appears to have won the lottery.
  • edited 2011-11-07 03:25:05
    And she went looking for H.P. Wilson, the CEO of Hendrik's, and now she's locked in a room with evil mannequins!

And then about five minutes and twenty-four seconds in the Doctor shows up and they escape into another elevator, and he pulls one of the mannequins' arms off! Turns out they're alive!
  • edited 2011-11-07 03:25:32
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Oh, by the way, you probably figured this out on your own, but "CEO" doesn't mean what we think of it as here. He's the Chief Electrical Officer (or something like that) for the store.
  • edited 2011-11-07 03:28:11
    Yeah, I just got to that part.

And now Rose has run out of the store and past the TARDIS, the first appearance of which is heralded by a bit of the theme song playing.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    And she's at home and watching BBC News 24's coverage of the fire. Her boyfriend shows up in an attempt to comfort her, and now he's off with the mannequin's arm.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    He threw it away, and high-pitched eerie music is playing.

A transition manifests itself as a camera pan into the trash can and "7:29" coming up from the bottom of the screen. It quickly changes to "7:30" and the alarm goes off again. Turns out she worked at Hendrik's, and her mother tells her there is no point in getting up as she now has no job.
    After they talk about employment, the Doctor resurfaces, having thrown screws/nails through a pet door.

...I wonder why his appearances are so infrequent.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Fun Fact: Hendrik's is an expy of the Harrods Department Store
    Their logos look similar.

...and now her mother was trying to seduce the Doctor. Weird.

The Doctor has a nonchalant attitude while Rose talks about the incident, and then the arm tries to choke him. Rose asks him for his name, and then he throws the arm off, and it lands on her face. Dramatic music starts here!

But not to worry, after they break the table he disables the arm with his sonic screwdriver.

In a scene change he explains that the arm was not after her, and was after him. And the "living plastic" is thought-controlled.

He explains to her who he is by comparing himself to the earth revolving and traveling through space at a very high speed, then implores her to forget about him and heads for the TARDIS.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    >she appears to have won the lottery.

I assumed this was to do with a staff lottery pool.  Winning the lottery would obviously be a pretty big deal.

>...I wonder why his appearances are so infrequent.

"Rose" was the first regular episode after a 15 year hiatus, so they wanted to ease viewers into the series and its concepts.

The Doctor is intentionally mysterious.  In the old series he's not actually a viewpoint character until several episodes in.
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    Is this the ninth doctor? I've only seen the episode where him and his companions are on some sort of alien game show in the future.
    Yes, it is.

...I should probably pick the episode back up soon.
    So Rose is at her boyfriend's house now, searching for various terms about the Doctor on "search-wise.net".

"Doctor Blue Box" yields "Doctor Who?".
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    You know, search-wise.net is a real site, but it's nothing but a front page. Apparently it was created to be used in TV & film.
    Interesting. Google must not like licensing itself.

...so now Rose is at the house of "Clive", a conspiracy theorist obsessed with the Doctor. His wife expresses surprise that Rose is female, and it turns out the Doctor was present at the site JFK was killed at!
    ...You know, you are really making me want to re-watch this episode. I haven't seen it in a long time, and I'd forgotten most of the details.
    Go find it, then.

...so Clive says that the Doctor has "one constant companion...death.". Rose's boyfriend is still in the car, and has gotten out to investigate a rumbling trash can. Probably stupidly.

The scene briefly changes back to Clive's house, and he says that the Doctor has "singled [her] out...God help [her]". Now her boyfriend's hands are stuck to the trash can's lid. It eats him, and predictably lets out a loud belch.

Clive then says he thinks the Doctor is an alien, and then Rose leaves. Her boyfriend has been replaced by a creepy-looking plastic ersatz. He repeats "pizza" to himself and drives off as some music with chants in it plays.

He and she are at a restaurant, and he brings up the Doctor to her. His facial expression is almost invariably a creepy smile. She drops his name, Mickey, soon afterward.

She says he thinks the Doctor is dangerous and untrustworthy. "Mickey" then says she can tell him anything; several changes in the pitch of his voice and camera angle follow. He interrogates her on the whereabouts of the Doctor, and they are brought champagne that he says they did not order.

None other than the Doctor has brought it to them; his appearance is heralded by strings. He pops the cork into "Mickey"'s head, where it is absorbed and he spits it out. Somehow the obvious CGI makes it look cool.

He then gets up and turns his hand into a block which he uses to smash the table. The Doctor then pulls of his head, which then says to him "don't think that's gonna stop me". I have to admit his headless body smashing the tables is kinda goofy looking. He uses the sonic screwdriver to disable the headless body from outside the restaurant, and invites Rose into the TARDIS.

She goes inside, and it turns out to be bigger inside than outside, and he says that the assembled armies of Genghis Khan couldn't get through its door. He has the head hooked up to equipment that can trace it.

Rose comments on the size, saying it is "alien", to which the Doctor simply says "yup". He says that he too is alien. He explains that "TARDIS" stands for "Time And Relative Dimension In Space". He then loses the signal from the head, and the TARDIS begins rumbling.

Rose is under the belief that Mickey is dead and is upset with the Doctor's uncaring attitude about this turn of events. He paradoxically says that he is trying to save the life of "every stupid ape" on this planet. He says that the TARDIS's appearance is a disguise, and that the living plastic wants to eat the toxins on Earth, having lost its home planet in "the war". He pulls out a vial of blue "anti-plastic", intending to pour it on the consciousness, which manifests itself as a big blue Ferris wheel.

So the Doctor climbs into a manhole which contains a red room. The "consciousness" is a rumbly, gelatinous orange thing that looks lava-ish. They find Mickey in this room, and he is covered in sweat and audibly shaken by his experience. The consciousness has a face, and speaks only in grunts that the Doctor somehow understands.

He is apprehended by mannequins, who take the anti-plastic from him. He says that he is here to help them. Kind of creepy how omnipresent they are. The consciousness is upset with the Doctor for letting their world be destroyed.

Rose calls her mother, who, like earlier, wants Rose to be paid for the fire story. She is oblivious to the threat the living plastic poses, and goes shopping as if nothing is happening. Just in time the consciousness fires up the transmitter (the Ferris wheel) for an invasion. Clive is at the store, and he is vindicated by the mannequins coming alive. One of the mannequins then shoots him.

The Doctor tells Rose and Mickey to get away from the mannequins and the consciousness as he struggles to free himself from their grasp. Managing to unhook with an axe and grab onto a chain, Rose uses it to swing into the mannequins, knocking them and the anti-plastic into the consciousness, destroying the mannequins and killing the consciousness, causing the room it is in to destroy itself. All the mannequins fall down lifelessly and the Doctor, Rose and Mickey escape in the TARDIS. Rose's mother calls her from her cell phone, warning of the mannequins; the threat extinguished, she hangs up on her.

Rose then lambasts the Doctor for being "useless", and he confirms that he would be dead if not for her. He invites her along in the TARDIS, and she refuses. The TARDIS disappears, then reappears as Rose and Mickey walk away. The Doctor says it travels through time, winning over Rose, who slow-motion-runs into the TARDIS.

...well this is long. I liked the episode.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Good liveblog.  I enjoyed that.

>Ferris wheel

The London Eye, if you're curious.

>"anti-plastic"

I'd forgotten about that.  Oh Russell.
    So what did you think? Are you hooked? :P
    Maybe.