Welcome to Heapersburg!

edited 2011-11-06 01:17:15 in Liveblogs
So I was thinking to myself...what if, instead of just a forum, Heapers' Hangout were an entire CITY? So I approached Anonus with my plans to buy a whole bunch of land in Michigan and build a huge metropolis! Unfortunately, he turned me away. As it turns out, we don't have the budget for that kind of thing.

But you know what we do have the budget for? SIMCITY 2000!

Before we start, there are a few decisions to be made:
  • Our city can be along a river, on a coast, or both. Which should it be?
  • What year should we start our city: 1900, 1950, 2000, or 2050? (Keep in mind the game was made in 1993)
  • And finally, the name. Do you like "Heapersburg", or do you have another suggestion?

Comments

• edited 2011-11-06 01:03:21
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    (We can always change the name later, if someone comes up with a better one)

Well, it's official! The Trash Heap now has its very own city!

(Yes, those are actual articles you can read if you click on each one. The next time I post a newspaper I'll include a screenshot of one)

And here's where our metropolis starts, tucked in by the river. Yellow indicates land zoned for industrial use, while blue indicates commercial and green is residential. As you can see from the small "RCI" graph on the toolbox, Industrial is in high demand right now, while commercial and residential...not so much.

And finally: The first construction in Heapersburg:
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    ...it wouldn't be Heapersburg without a million retailers, you know!
    1. A river
    2. 2000
    3. I'm not sure.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Retailers are good, but you kinda have to work your way up to that. Right now commercial development isn't in demand, so to zone for it would be a waste of money. I have to build up our city's industry enough to get workers to live here, so there will be residents with money and retailers will want to move in.

But you're in luck, because it's now December 2001, Heapersburg has grown, and commercial development is in high demand!

Something else I should touch on: the budget. That's one of the main "game" aspects of SimCity--you have to be able to build your city without going bankrupt. This is the budget window, as it is, right now we're still in the green, albeit just barely.

And of course, as mayor, I can consult my advisors for their opinions on particular issues:

And Mr. Education Advisor has a point: It's time to start thinking about city services. What should we invest in first? A school? A fire station? A police department? I'll let you decide, not because I'm lazy, but because otherwise this isn't interactive at all!
    A fire station.

Because Firemen Are Hot.
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind

ohgod i love this game

Build a school. Learning is good.

• If we don't get police services, can we get drug money for the city?
    You want drug dealers here? No one will move here!
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Drug dealers and people who buy drugs from them will...
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

Well, it is now May 2003 and Heapersburg has expanded a bit more.

On the east side, we have a small residential area being developed around the lake. I opted to build a school rather than a fire station right now, because schools don't cost as much to maintain and our budget is still a bit tight.

On the opposite side of Central Avenue (yes, I named the main street after myself. I'm the mayor and I can do what I want), we see that a small commercial area has grown in the city center, and industry has expanded to the west.

Also, our city is now big enough to have two newspapers--we have the Picayune in additon to the Chronicle. But more importantly, Heapersburg's population has finally broken 2000!

And what's more, the citizens would like to honor their mayor (that's me, silly) with a mansion!

And so, I throw it to you, my loyal citizens of Heapersburg. Where shall my ~fabulous~ mansion be built?
    Overlooking town!
  • edited 2011-11-07 00:17:01
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Ooh, that would work! I'd have to build an access road, but you know, I don't hate roads!
    Well, here it is, on the hill above town. Just off the eventual extension of Central Avenue.

And here is a little bit of information about the place:

• Really, scientists. There's no police, so the who, how and why of buying the mayor a nice house is not that hard to figure out.

Also, shouldn't the city be Candy Valley?

Oh right, the police. As you can see from the other headlines in that newspaper, the citizens are starting to get on my case about that. I should probably add a police station or two soon.

But right now it's time for the boring process of waiting a couple years to earn back some of the money I've spent building the city infrastructure to this point.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    So I got up one morning in my beautiful new Mayor's Mansion and decided to read the daily paper. What was the day's top story, you ask? Well...

Yep, the citizens of Heapersburg have decided it's time for police. After a quick look at the city budget, I said "eh, why not?" and authorized the construction of a brand new police station downtown.

Over the next couple years, I planned out more expansion for the city, including a new residential development in the east:

...and industrial development to the west:

...Which brings us to the present, April 2005. Let us take a look at today's headlines, shall we?

Yep. The citizens want a fire department. Not an unreasonable request, all things considered.

But here's the thing...you might have noticed, if you were looking at the top of the window, that over the past three years the city has spent almost $3000 expanding. So now we play the waiting game...adjust the budget a bit, then wait a couple years until we've taken in enough cash to start building again. I'll keep you all updated on the city's progress!

I love the "Kingpin Shattered" headline when the police department was made. As if some brutal mobster held the city of around 2,000 people in complete sway until he was stopped. He or she certainly was not very ambitious. 
  • Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    Who says you need vision to run a vast criminal empire?
  • >Education Advisor
    >Black

loljk

"Who says you need vision to run a vast criminal empire?"

Not sure how vast it can really be in a city of around 2,000...

Unless he was running OTHER cities as well from our humble Heapersburg
    Perhaps he was running Denmont and Washers Grove as well:

• i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind

rats, i've been found out

i'll remember this

I love the idea that he was running the other towns despite their being no roads between them. "Moving goods" from town to town would likely involve a high amount of ATV and DUNE BUGGY crime, or walking through the wilderness with stuff.

Pretty sad when one of your shipments didn't make it because you courier got attacked by a venomous snake.
  • I love the "Kingpin Shattered" headline when the police department was made. As if some brutal mobster held the city of around 2,000 people in complete sway until he was stopped. He or she certainly was not very ambitious.

King Radical, obviously.

• Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    King Radical DOES ride a dirt bike...

"You all have beards now! Isn't that wonderful?!"
    King Radical is the best mobster.
    Huh, for some reason I forgot to update this the last time I played.

Anyways, in 2007 the City of Heapersburg began construction on a water & sewer system. As of 2009, however, most of the city remains without water service because we simply do not have the capacity to bring enough water to the entire city.

Anyway, it's now February of 2009, and our fair city has a population of 3,190.

It will be a few years before I begin any more major expansion or construction, because (as you can see) the city's funds are dropping pretty quickly and for once I'd like to build a decent-sized city without having to cheat!

So, is the assumption people are using well water and septic tanks if they don't have city water? I've never really thought of the implications of a building going without water.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    ...Somehow my Heapersburg city file has reset back to December 2001, and the timestamp on the file is November 6, 2011.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Oh well, time to start a new city, I guess.

i want to be the fireman advisor guy

pick me pick me

Ah man, I was enjoying this thread!

Bad Sim City 2000!