Dream Diary

Comments

• fixed the category. I have no idea why my threads sometimes end up in odd categories I didn't put them in.
  • I can't tell if the translation is occasionally  spotty due to mistake or if it's an attempt to give Madi a specific accent. "nestime" instead of "next time" seems like something a young child might say.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    y'know I was thinking about that game on the way home today

...I dunno why
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    The best game. Simply the best.
    It is not perfect.

But it creates a great mood.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    It is perfect.
    No it is not.
  • It is not perfect but it comes close.

In any case I made this thread more about the (honest-to-god official) manga, which is a more flawed, yet still quite interesting beast. In particular, it's not as isolated as the game (a weird 16-bit retraux affair was not what was "in" in 2007. Especially not one without a single line of dialogue), it draws from a long lineage of surrealist Japanese manga--horror and otherwise--and there is dialogue. Monologue, really. Madi talks only to herself and it's not even entirely clear if she's speaking or if her thoughts are being relayed to us. It lifts some of the mysteries from the game while opening the gate and letting a flood of new ones in, and it's really interesting, and only four (relatively short) chapters in, with an enticing cliffhanger ending the most recent, so it's the perfect time to jump in.

Also, it's both drawn and co-written by the dude behind Alien Nine, itself an extremely surreal piece of media, although one very different from Yume Nikki as we see it here.
    Melusina said:

No it is not.

And why is that, dearest Melusina? ^_^
    There are several sections that are wide open near-emptiness with just a few landmarks here and there. I dislike this.
    I love it. The environments, and the world, are massive and overwhelming. It is part of what makes it wonderful. :D
    well to each their own, I guess