Fish in the sea; also the immigrant life.

edited 2011-10-17 19:35:44 in General
Tarnished Waistline was an arm of Bing Crosby Productions that was in operation from 1962 to 1968. It produced some of network television's best remembered shows, such as The Munsters (CBS 1964-1966), Arthurian Matters (NBC 1965-1967), and Jenny!, There Is A Spider In The Backyard And He Has A Gun (ABC 1963-1967).

The company was considered a liability by its ownership due to the exorbitant budgets it employed for many of its productions (for example, The Munsters tended to have a budget of $20 million per episode), and this hindered attempts to sell it to another party. Tarnished Waistline did, however, launch the career of Norman Lear, previously a janitor in the company's office in Hollywood, CA. All of his future successes (e.g. All in the Family, The Jeffersons) began as rejected pilots at the studio.

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Jenny!, There Is A Spider In The Backyard And He Has A Gun (ABC 1963-1967)
    I want to watch this
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    SPIDERGUN
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Tarnished Waistline's library is mostly in the hands of the family of Old English Thompson, a remnant of when they dabbled in television in the 1970s.

/not-canon.
    There's a canon?
    Well OET's parents never dabbled in media in the mythos itself. Or something.
    Uh, so the business dealing storyline is in the same world as the OET storyline (I have to confess I never paid much attention to OET), and maybe YOUR KING and his child are, too?

...now I'm getting ideas for a big-ass Heap crossover. Which will never happen.
    No, they're all separate.

I don't think I crossed ABC Inc with either of the others, though I briefly dabbled with OET in YKAHC before deeming that bad (no more than two characters do any narration at once).
    "no more than two characters do any narration at once"

This seems interesting to me. A stylistic experiment, it could be.
    I don't think any of the ones I have written have strayed from it.

Though most of the other characters (e.g. the lamb) don't speak anyway.
    Makes me wonder if one could write an entire novel where no more than two characters are speaking "on screen" at any time.

I suppose it probably exists, I just can't think of any examples.
    Admittedly one of YKAHC's things is that I'm not sure how to introduce any other characters.

YOUR KING'S LINES ARE LIKE THIS

and his child's are like this

so anything else would have to be denoted in some other way which would throw off the contrast.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    YKAHC's format has always struck me as more organized or consistent than Five Singers' format.

My only rule for that is that Chef speaks first, and even that I've ignored a couple times. Beyond that, it's just that a single line break indicates multiple lines by the same speaker and a double line-break indicates a new speaker, so the few times I've added a third voice it gets hard to tell who's who.

(This was actually one of the reasons that Josh, "the only competent chef the place has had", uses proper spelling and grammar--it makes it easy to pick out his lines from Chef and Waiterman's)
    I never noticed those rules. I could never really tell them apart.
    I can't blame you. It's not as if they really have distinct characters, beyond Waiterman being a tiny bit of a straight man.
    I always thought that YKAHC seemed like the very epitome of formal consistency compared to Five Singers. The latter seemed to be veering almost into Finnegans Wake territory.
    It's funny how Five Singers became "Central Avenue's YKAHC"; I didn't originally intend it as such.

(Though really, I didn't intend it as much of anything. It was the result of being loopy as fuck)