CentraI Avenue's Road and Sign Babbling (btw Naney is a dork)

edited 2016-05-01 18:52:45 in General
noot noot

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    third
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I CLAIM THIS THREAD IN THE NAME OF THE PRINCESS

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    :D
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I smiled.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Justice42 said:

YES.
    Road closed?

No big loss, seeing as how it literally doesn't lead to anything anyway.
  • edited 2013-09-13 16:25:07
    Is that a road made out of brick?

And lol @ the hanging stop signs.
    Yep. It appears to be actual brick, too, as opposed to that cheap concrete that's stamped to look like bricks.

Overhead stop signs are always amusing, somehow.
  • Wouldn't an actual brick road be rather hard to maintain?
    You know, I don't really know. I'd imagine it has higher cost of maintenance than a plain asphalt street, but I don't know for sure.
    This intersection interests me, somehow.

Specifically, the fact that they've recently added marked crosswalks and pedestrian signals, including one across State Route 3. This stretch of State Route 3 wasn't really designed with pedestrian accommodations in mind—it was built in 1957 as a bypass of the existing Route 3, with the idea being to remove as many crossings and driveways as possible.

It's interesting to see what was intended as a high-speed rural highway being slowly suburbanized.
    Time for one of those little posts I do!

• You really like those road closures, don't you?
    Maaaaaybe

I love that last one because it's like "what road?"
    Mildly amusing anecdote:

There's a freeway overpass near my school's campus. We often use it as a landmark when giving people directions, because our campus is kind of a pain to navigate otherwise, what with all its dead-ends and one-way streets.

In 2011, they tore down the original 1990s bridge so they could build one with more lanes.

During the time between when the old bridge was demolished and the new one was built, we would still talk about it as if it was there. So you'd give someone directions and you'd be like "yeah, I'm right here, by the nonexistent bridge."
  • There used to be a caution light at the crosswalk connecting the main campus and the west campus portion of the campus here.  It crosses a major local road (two lanes each way plus median).

They've taken that down and have been rerouting the road slightly in order to try to build some sort of underpass or overpass to connect the two parts of campus seamlessly.

The first time I realized this, I was like, where's the caution light?

The second time I realized this, I was like, whoa, how did the road move so fast?
    Hahaha, nice!

Our campus itself has mostly avoided any major changes for the past 5 years or so, but the freeways that border the north and east sides of the campus have been under some major reconstruction and occasionally the inconveniences leak through.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    fresh tar
    I don't know how well it shows in this pictures, but the little rectangle the "1" is on is covering a "5":

Going 55 mph through an urban alley is, of course, not recommended.
  • I want to see non-divisible-by-5 speed limit signs.
    You asked for it:

• I didn't say non-divisible by 1!
  • I didn't say non-divisible by 1!

you merely specified the complement of 5Z, not in what set
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Now I'm tempted to babble about BCD arithmetic in my old computers thread. :P
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    do it
    March 2012:

October 2013:

ODOT seems to be posting those curve warning signs with the alternating lights at all the loop ramps around here. When they were first posted they had advisory speed plaques as well, but for some odd reason those were all removed a few weeks later.
  • That looks like a horrifyingly difficult exit ramp to get to.
    It's a typical cloverleaf, albeit a rather poorly-designed one...not that cloverleafs tends to be a good design to begin with.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Yeah, that cloverleaf looks like it just barely meets Interstate standards, if it does at all. There's several short-merge cloverleaf interchanges around here, most of them around the Pentagon and dating all the way back to when the Pentagon was built in the 1940s. (One of them was removed when Shirley Highway was rebuilt to Interstate standards in the early 1970s, but the others are still there...)

By the way, do we have any place to ramble about trains here? I had to ride Metro the last two days, and it got me thinking. :P
    That whole interchange is a bit on the dated side. One of the ramps even has traffic signals, defeating the purpose of it being a cloverleaf to begin with!

It will probably change 10-15 years down the line when ODOT finally gets around to updating the I-70/I-270 interchange immediately south, which has lots of weaving issues and tends to be a real bottleneck at rush hour.

Oh, as for the curve warning signs: as of today, the advisory speed plaques are back...but they're all 5 mph higher than the original speeds were. Something weird is going on.

I don't think we have a rail thread, but one would be cool.
    Not a very good picture, but what I alluded to before: new advisory speed plaque; note it's 30 mph as opposed to the 25 mph in the picture above:

Man, some of the subdivisions around here seem to have cheaped out and gone with the flimsiest street blades:

• Does the road actually curve that way?
    No, but that would be pretty funny
  • The irony of those road name signs is that it's frequently hard to figure out what street you're currently on.  Especially if they save money by only labeling the intersections to a major road.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    The pedestrian crossing lights here in Kearney, NE behave oddly. (For reference, we have these bad boys.) It starts off normally enough: when there's a green light for vehicles, the white walkin' dude lights up for pedestrians going the same direction. Then the orange hand and the "get out of the intersection now now NOW" countdown light up. Once the countdown hits zero, sometimes the orange hand stays lit and the vehicle traffic light turns yellow, just as the law of nature intended. But SOMETIMES the vehicle light stays green, and the pedestrian light turns back into the white walkin' dude. I kid you not, I've seen pedestrian signals with the white dude and the orange number zero both displaying steadily at the same time. It's not consistent: a single intersection can behave either way.

There a few general trends. I only recall seeing the abnormal light pattern at intersections between a two lane road and a one lane road. Also, the lights are more likely to behave "normally" during the day and during high-traffic hours; the abnormal behavior happens more often approximately from 8 to 11 pm. (After 11, all but the biggest intersections switch to blinking yellow and blinking red signals.) 

It's almost like the pedestrian countdown timer is triggered a set time after the green light, but with no cars waiting at the red light, the vehicle light never changes, and that makes the pedestrian signal trip over itself. Except that might not be all that's happening, because one of my coworkers said she was stuck at one of those red lights once, and the pedestrian lights went through the cycle three times before she got the green light.

I don't know if this is a general Nebraska thing, or a "someone in this city screwed up the programming" thing.
  • Maybe the sensor's faulty and being triggered by something?
  • edited 2013-11-19 20:20:56
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

Especially if they save money by only labeling the intersections to a major road.

That always bugged me too, though thankfully I usually only see that on rural highways that have a number instead of a name.
    MetaFour said:

It's almost like the pedestrian countdown timer is triggered a set time after the green light, but with no cars waiting at the red light, the vehicle light never changes, and that makes the pedestrian signal trip over itself.

That's pretty much it. It's actually by design—if the pedestrian signal rested on "walk" the way the vehicular signal rests on green, a car that pulls up to the side street would have to wait through the "don't walk" countdown before the vehicular signal could change. But since the pedestrian countdown's running at a regular interval anyway, the vehicular signal can just change the next time "don't walk" comes around.
    MetaFour said:

Except that might not be all that's happening, because one of my coworkers said she was stuck at one of those red lights once, and the pedestrian lights went through the cycle three times before she got the green light.

Ah, now that sounds like something else. A faulty detector, perhaps.
  • What's wrong with this sign?

Or is it the fact that there are two Flea Market signs visible simultaneously?
    Nothing's wrong with it; I just found it aesthetically pleasing.
  • chattanashville
    I guess the sign wasn't mounted as securely as it should have been?

It doesn't look like anybody hit it or anything; the guardrail is still intact and the sign panels themselves don't seem to be damaged