RWBY: Dorks with weapons, the show

edited 2013-08-19 16:40:20 in General Media
So quite a few people are watching Rooster Teeth's new web series RWBY.  So far there are four trailers and three episodes, and new ones are posted on Thursdays 8pm/5pm ET/PT.  The plot and characters seem pretty cliche, although certain parts of the internet got hilariously sad about Weiss being bitchy instead of their quiet waifu/self-insert.  But really, what I'm pretty sure people are here for is the fight choreography, featuring the weapons that change into other weapons as (previously) mentioned in the title.

Comments

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Ruby Rose is the best, and so is her weapon Crescent Rose, which just rocks. No argument. Coincidentally, Ruby's also my favorite character. Then comes Weiss, Yang, and Blake. 
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    The trailers were beautiful and really cool. :D It was hard not to be enticed. The three episodes themselves that have come out thus far are slower paced and a little less polished but still fun, and it should be interesting to see what kind of story develops.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Anyway, if you like anime, you should watch this.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Honestly, Ruby's voice acting is the best in the whole show. Everyone else just kind of grates or is hammy enough to be acceptable.
  • Weiss's weapon looks like a weapon from the Heartcatch Pretty Cure series.
  • Honestly, Ruby's voice acting is the best in the whole show. Everyone else just kind of grates or is hammy enough to be acceptable.

Really?  Ruby's bothers me, while the rest seems passable.

Also, why is Edwyn "Dan McNeely" Tiong not playing a role in this series?
  • edited 2013-08-06 03:53:10
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I like Ruby's voice, I think Lindsay Tuggey sounds young enough to be passable, and does the energetic bit just fine. Though, I don't like the super excited parts, just because I dislike it when characters speak so fast like that. It gets a bit annoying.

Weiss is kind of cool too, though I'll have to listen to another episode first. Later.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Ruby sounds like an hyper, energetic and spunky fifteen-year-old. Weiss and Blake by comparison sound like twenty-five-year-olds trying to sound seventeen.
  • edited 2013-08-06 07:02:58
    (flower path)
    I'm not really sure if you can detect post-pubescent ages that finely.  Maybe this just shows that I'd rather deal with fake teenagers than the real thing.
  • Honestly, poni, I think most of us would take fictional teenagers over real-life ones.
  • I just hope tonight's episode has fight scenes.
    Fictional and real teenagers are cool. And same here spinor.
  • edited 2013-08-08 19:42:16
    (flower path)
    RWBY 4: What's a landing strategy?

Alternatively, RWBY 4: The fight scenes always seem to be an episode away
    16 episodes that are 7 minutes each means season 1 will be under 2 hours, perhaps the length of a typical movie. :o
    These episodes are so short! But ep. 4 amused me. The guy with the mug is so nonchalant about telling kids that they are about to be launched into a forest and hunted to death mercilessly.
    I wish they were longer too. That and had more weapon shenanigans, like with Ruby Rose and Crescent Rose.
  • Even Monty wishes they were longer, it's just that Rooster Teeth isn't a huge studio that can do huge amounts of anime.

• edited 2013-08-11 23:54:17
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I didn't know Monty did too, though that makes sense for Rooster Teeth. As for your link, the complaints about Weiss being rude are ridiculous, especially those that go on about how she's so different from what they thought she would be like.

I approve of that image.
    *image of crying baby* Weiss has a personality, now she can't be mai waifu
  • Miko said:

*image of crying baby* Weiss has a personality, now she can't be mai waifu

Eh, I wouldn't go that far about people complaining.
  • I still don't like that groin attack scene.

The angle seems off, like she's grabbing the area in front of the crotch instead of the crotch itself.
  • Interesting comment on most recent episode: Note that Lie Ren is referred to as "Ren".  Since every other character is referred to by first name, the most likely scenario is that his name is, unlike all the others including Yang, written in Eastern name order.  I think it means something.
  • RWBY 5: Fight scenes pretty much cockblocked again.*

or

RWBY 5: Yeah, there was no way it wasn't going to be Weiss.

or

RWBY 5: It's all the way down to four minutes now?

*Though I did like the landings.  They fit the characters pretty well, and when you've got the strange pacing that releasing in six-minute chunks brings, you need to establish these things as much as possible
  • edited 2013-08-15 19:47:07
    (flower path)
    "dicks, dicks everywhere"
    Good video, despite its short length. I liked the landings too, and hopefully the next episode will be able to flesh out the characters more, since they'll have to deal with how they are. Well, "deal" in Ruby and Weiss's case. Pyrrha and Juane get along nicely, at least, and Juane desperately needs someone with her skill. Her spear-rifle-gun is rad too, second favorite now.
  • Yeah, looking forward to watching Ruby and Weiss clash some more.
  • I wonder if animating the landings is partly why it's shorter.
  • I think it's mainly to provide the cliffhanger, really.  All the episodes beside the first are basically split into two parts.
    I knew it would be Weiss. :) I don't feel any cock-blocks, just a wish for longer episodes so I could see more of these characters.
  • Should I get into this show or should I wait until people turn me UG with spoilers about its magic?
    Watch it now. You could easily catch up in maybe an hour, or close to.
  • You will find me if you want me in the garden unless its pouring down with rain.
    Oh hey you used that avatar that I linked
  • edited 2013-08-18 13:56:19
    You will find me if you want me in the garden unless its pouring down with rain.
    imageimageimage

Weiss/Ruby forever
  • I like this art
  • what's happening to the thread title

why it keep changing
  • edited 2013-08-19 19:15:18
    (flower path)
    because I get a bunch of dumb ideas for subtitles and so keep changing it
  • Lie Ren is so awesome he doesn't actually need his weapon.
    Monty Oum himself is his voice actor. :)
    The humor was predictable, but I chuckled at Ruby getting in the way of Weiss' attack and making her set the tree on fire. Weiss' focus on doing things just as she was trained made me smirk, since this is at least one trait that I see "fitting" her introduction video. It makes sense when you're raised as royalty and are used to things going your way that, that you'd become a bit of a perfectionist (at least that's the vibe that I get), especially once monsters are brought in. That and the (expected) contrast to Ruby's own headstrong attitude makes me happy, since I'm looking forward to more of their squabbling. Also, I noticed this is the first time Ruby actually got angry, what with her slicing the tree and all, I like that too.

Jaune and Pyrrha are obviously getting along pretty well and it's kind of cute, and something I kind of ship, but without knowing why Pyrrha's gazing at him — I think why Jaune's having an easy time focusing on her is rather obvious — I have a hard time taking it too seriously. It feels forced. The exposition was a bit tedious even if I did enjoy it (ignoring the awkward "you have a lot of [soul]" comment), what with getting some world building while Lie Ren beat up the monsters. Nora is boring.

Yang's scene is probably my favorite of episode six: She's got my third-favorite (or second-favorite, I guess) weapon, angrily pounded some Beowolfs, and paired up with Blake. Sure Blake is intended to contrast with Yang, I don't imagine her opening up for awhile (three to six episodes?), given the somewhat random length of the episodes.

At the very least, I'm looking forward to seeing them play off each other, alongside the fight scenes. It's not the best writing for sure, but I like seeing characters play off of each other nonetheless.
  • RWBY 8: In which Monty finally goes all-out
  • No, yeah, this was a meaty episode.

I kinda like Nora's grenade launcher-hammer-thing.
    And just think, it's already half over. :o I hope season 2 has longer episodes; surely there will be a season 2. :D
  • ^^Oh shit, you're right.
  • Miko said:

And just think, it's already half over. :o I hope season 2 has longer episodes; surely there will be a season 2. :D

I've heard that the short episodes are kind of a Rooster Teeth thing in general; also the team isn't exactly huge, though they might get more resources next year.
    otp