DungeonCrawl Stone Soup

Comments

• So, I managed to get Philocetes the Minotaur Berserker to the 8th floor of the Lair. And you know how he died? He was about to fall to poison, so he quaffed a potion of strong poison. Self-administrated poison, just like Socrates! It's kind of appropriate, given his Greek background.

His score is 6 times that of my best OPIE, and I probably would have done better if I didn't get that 'berserk at random' mutation.

That was cool, to say the least.

• Minotaur Fighters--especially of Makhleb--have been my most successful characters so far. I name them after famous cartographers.

Draconian Fire Elementalists are a close second, weirdly.

• Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I think I'm getting better at this game, seeing as how I'm consistently making it to the Temple.

Now the only question is, Sif Muna or Vehumet for my Draconian Wizard...
  • Sif Muna for wizards.

Vehumet for elementalists usually.

• ^^I've decided to name all Minotaurs and Gladiators after Greek heroes. Cartography's not a bad idea though.

All my Octopodes go by Pygmalious or Pymaglious now. When they're wizards, they're Lords. When it's an off-beat class, like Monk or Hunter, they're Kids. All assasins/enchanters are named Astrid, after an Assassin in Skyrim. And Kgraxis is my default for Demonspawn/Draconian. Not that I ever play those races.
    ^^What's the rationale behind that? If anything, I'd think it would be the other way around, because Elementalists start with slightly more destructive spells and Wizards start with a ton of good utility spells.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Vehumet gives some immensely powerful conjuration magic, which means that Elementalists can lean on their natural talents harder.
  • yeah, Vehumet's big on destroying stuff. Conjurer's can go for either, usually.

Vehumet's gonna get an overhaul in the next stable build though so I'm not sure that that'll be true for much longer.

• My Fire Elementalist Draconian turned yellow again.
    The only real overhaul Veh got is that it gifts spells now instead. It's still a great god.
    I don't even start up Draconian Elementalists, just in case he turns the wrong color.

All other Draconian mages, on the other hand, work quite well, especially with the natural AC bonus. Lack of armor can be a pain though...
    An elementalist draconian of the opposing colour is still viable, just tricky.
    Well of course it's viable, I mean, they only get -2 to aptitudes, and they can still branch out into other magics.

It's just irritating.
    Honestly, Draconians are better suited to hybrid play anyway, thanks to their almost guaranteed -1 to spellcasting, and their subpar mana pool.
  • edited 2013-04-25 19:55:07
    Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    What do you mean their almost guaranteed -1?

Also, they don't get any MP penalties, they have average MP...
    All Draconians except Purple have a -1 to Spellcasting. And "average" MP tends to lead to shortages for dedicated casters.
    Uh, no. All Draconians except Purple have a 0 to spellcasting.

I suppose you're right about the MP though. I find myself frequently running out.
  • Speaking as an OPIE player, I'll attest to that. Octopodes' average MP is a pain to deal with, especially if Oz's armor is miscasting or something.
    Man, you can tell I haven't played 0.11 in a while. Yeah, it's past stable. They're cold-blooded now, too, so they have issues with being frozen.
    Man, I just really, really like roguelikes

There's nothing better than the feeling of overconfidence once you finally start getting somewhere followed by the pain of death when you bite off more than you can chew. :D
    Alright, I'm getting tired, and tired minds make mistakes. Time to turn it in for the night.

Level 11 Black Draconian Wizard, got a decent spell list that includes a couple offensive spells like Lightning Bolt and Iskenderun's Mystic Blast, and some defensive spells like Flight, Repel Missiles, that kinda stuff

14 AC, 13 EV, 74 HP, 28 MP, 10 STR, 22 INT, 9 DEX

Feel like i'm doin' pretty good

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I'm attempting to play as a Mummy Wizard. My first attempt went extremely poorly. By which I mean I died on the first floor.

It was partly bad luck with monster spawns, and partly me being stupid and not reading my spellbook and attacking things with my bare bandaged hands.
    I've had runs that I'm pretty sure are physically impossible before. Like starting as a DEIE in a room full of goblins and kobolds.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I died on the first floor again. At least I did better this time. I found a few weapons and scrolls.

Also, I'm not retiring the name King Cofagrigus I until I clear at least the first few floors. This will make for some weird ghost encounters.

While I'm searching the Crawl Wiki, anyone have any advice on Mummy Wizards?
    Do not auto train your skills. That way lies death. Use manual mode, and focus on 1-2 at a time.
  • You'll want a high Conjuration skill. The higher that is, the more damage Magic Dart does. The more damage MD does, the less likely that monsters will bruise your soft, tender face.
    Duly noted. Though I can't find a place to switch between auto and manual skill leveling.

Also, I'm avoiding picking up potions because they're useless to me. Is this a bad idea?
  • Duly noted. Though I can't find a place to switch between auto and manual skill leveling.

Skill menu, then hit /

Also, I'm avoiding picking up potions because they're useless to me. Is this a bad idea?

Not really. There's technically a spell you can use to turn "bad" potions (poison, strong poison, confusion, paralysis, etc.) into weapons, but it's really not worth the trouble.

I've decided to abandon my quest to have a successful Mummy Wizard for now. 18 failed attempts kinda grates on you after a while.

I did learn some things, though. Mostly DON'T LET THE MONSTERS GANG UP ON YOU.
  • If you want a wizard early on, go Spriggan or High Elf.
    Aww, but they're not as cool. And they have to eat. :(
    Honestly, I would suggest trying a Draconian Wizard. They aren't the best at wizardry, but they have an advantage in that they start out with 4 AC and 10% more HP than average, so it'll help you to survive the earlier floors.
  • having a fairly successful run as a (helmeted) Mummy Necromancer.
    So I found the Temple.

You wanna know where it is?

Surrounded on all sides by Translucent Rock Walls.

FUCK.
  • "Rest and Search" for a few turns. One of them will be a secret door.

I'm honestly not sure why I didn't think of that

Thank you good sir
  • There's secret doors all over the place honestly. But most of them aren't apparent unless you train up your Traps & Doors skill (which is the main use of said skill). You can also find most of them via scrolls of Magic Mapping.
    Still not a good enough reason for me to consider raising my traps

I usually get some around Dungeon Level 6 or so, but not before that.
    My current run as Drayden the Draconian Wizard is going much better than usual. I'm on dungeon level 3, have a ton of scrolls, potions, and weapons (I have no idea why I'm hoarding these), and I managed to save my tail by remembering that inky potions were cure wounds.
    Then it's lucky for me that inky potions were cure wounds for two separate runs.
  • edited 2013-04-28 19:54:06
    Unless, of course, he remembered because he saw an enemy drink it and get healed.

^Oh. Yeah, potions and scrolls are randomized. And books and wands and just about everything.
  • edited 2013-04-28 19:59:56
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Thankfully, secret doors have been purged from 0.12 onwards. They really didn't add anything anyway.
    Still not a good enough reason for me to consider raising my traps
    As I mentioned earlier, Zot traps. Zot traps will happily ruin your day by doing stuff like banishing you.
    Well duh, I know that

But I mean, there aren't really any traps that can wreck your shit in the early dungeon levels (unless you get super unlucky), and it's exp that could be going towards your weapon/magic skills.
    Lair is early dungeon. It's the first branch you'll want to explore, and 8-13 really isn't that deep in the grand scheme of things.
  • edited 2013-04-28 20:09:24
    Ahhh, they show up in the Lair, hmmmm. Didn't know that.

I'll have to adjust my strategy accordingly.

Well, they apparently only show up around Lair 7-8...But still. I should probably have a reasonable Traps by the end of the Lair.
  • Generally you want to avoid the last level of the Lair the first time you go there anyway, and then take on the Orcish Mines, and return to the Lair later. 
    As I recall, the Crawl Wiki recommends doing the same for every "branch" of the dungeon.