Narcissism=Solipsism?

edited 2011-09-30 17:08:37 in General
So, for quite some time I've been wondering, do these to relate to one another? If one is an extreme narcissist, do they slowly (or quickly) become solipsistic as well, and vice versa? Can one be solipsistic without being narcissistic? Is there any difference between being a full-blown narcissist and just having a huge ego, or between being a solipsist and thinking the world revolves around you? Can skepticism turn into solipsism?

Also, while not related in any way to the rest of the post, where the hell did the phrase "pie in the sky" come from? Is it just a bastardized version of "eye in the sky", or is it unrelated? Which came first, for that matter, and why do people seem to confuse one for the other? Who even thought it'd be a good idea to make that a phrase?

The answer to these questions, along with the rest of your study questions and the chapter 5 homework, will be due on Monday. Late work will not be accepted.

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    You will eat, bye and bye,

In that glorious land above the sky;

Work and pray, live on hay,

You'll get pie in the sky when you die
  • edited 2011-10-01 03:50:36
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    "If one is an extreme narcissist, do they slowly (or quickly) become solipsistic as well, and vice versa?" 

Not sure about that theory, be interesting to see if it happens.

"Can one be solipsistic without being narcissistic?"

Yes, Christine Ladd Franklin was a solipsistic and still managed to submit many papers on color vision and do a bucnh for the Women's rights movement including being awesome by being the first woman to get a PhD in Math and logic.  

One could possibly argue so of that might be out of self serving, but she did a pretty shitty job of doing things that only benefited her.

"Is there any difference between being a full-blown narcissist and just having a huge ego,"

Could be, someone with a huge ego might still do things that would benefit others. Harder to say if a narcissist would.

" or between being a solipsist and thinking the world revolves around you?"

Obviously, there's some degree of thinking the world quite literally is only there for you, but it seems possible that a solipsists can still treat people decently as shown above.

"Can skepticism turn into solipsism?"

Oh yes. Solipsism often has it roots in skepticism.