the best 100% true fact in the history of the universe

edited 2013-03-03 18:50:32 in General

During the late 60s, Steve Reich and Philip Glass started and ran their own furniture removal company.

this happened.

this 100% happened.

i fucking love this planet.

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Did they make recordings of it?
  • Low-Rate Movers, the greatest concentration of musical talent ever seen in the furniture removal business
  • Did they make recordings of it?

i dont think so and in a way im glad they didnt as i do not want anything to spoil the perfect mental image i have of this
  • Richard Serra (a really cool sculptor) had a moving company and he hired likeminded artists who were out of work
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    While this fact is indeed incredible, there's still one more fact about Philip Glass that amazes me even more:

"It’s a living: Despite smash success of 1976 performances of “Einstein on the Beach” at the Metropolitan Opera, Glass and co-creator Robert Wilson were left with a $90,000 debt after spending $900,000 to create the work. Glass returned to his day gig of driving a cab. One day a sharply dressed woman got in and noticed the name on the registration: “Young man,” she said. “Do you realize you have the same name as a very famous composer?”"
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I actually knew all of this, but I'd basically forgotten it until you all reminded me. So thank you all.

Loosely related: Conceptual artist Walter De Maria was a member of the touring line-up for Lou Reed's novelty group The Primitives back in the early '60s. Filling rooms with feet of earth, drumming in small clubs—same difference.