who tlod Mario he could alawys be so super, huh

edited 2013-01-23 14:52:47 in General

the only thign I see here thast suepr is hsi GIRTH

Comments

• TreTre
    edited 2013-01-23 14:54:45
    Quip! You can't do that, Mario's an icon or whatever.

You'll induce the wrath of the FANS.
  • Father shall be swallowed by the son, and brother shall be swallowed by brother.

adn what, pary tlel, are they gonna do to ME

tehy dont know ME

• ...I swear, Quip, every time you come out of the woodwork again I want to throw you back into that ditch I found you in.
  • Father shall be swallowed by the son, and brother shall be swallowed by brother.

HLEL NO

you cna't do that to ME

i am a CITZIEN of the UNTIED SATES of AMERIKA

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    sweet mario and halla ligui
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-01-23 14:59:33

i am a CITZIEN of the UNTIED SATES of AMERIKA

That's not what your birth certificate says.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Ppaer Mario: The Housand-Yaer Doritoes

Im a SOCKPUPPUPET

I DOnT HAV a BERF CERTIFICI8t

• edited 2013-01-23 15:01:42
    Father shall be swallowed by the son, and brother shall be swallowed by brother.

Ppaer Mario: The Housand-Yaer Doritoes

wheree cna I byu tihs gaem, it suonds AWESDONE

cam I fins it at.................. CA Marketplace

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    introducing the new friend

YOWSHEE
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-01-23 15:03:14
    CA Marketplace? You aren't even rich enough to shop there! You're a sockpuppet, remember?

hey

hey Pierer Shcezuan

guess what

• -sigh- Talk about character derailment.

Ill DERAIL YOUR CHARASCTER YUO

YUO................

SUHT PU TRE

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    *stomps Equipment*
  • Hmm. Suddenly my crazed inner loony looks awful similar to a Goomba after being crushed.

How appropriate.
    I still think the only thing super about Mario is his girth.
  • Well, Quip, I have to definitely give you credit, your syntax has improved massively over the past few months.

It's amazing what Hooked on Phonics® can do for one's writing!
  • edited 2013-06-23 13:44:54
    Father shall be swallowed by the son, and brother shall be swallowed by brother.
    Shut up! I never used Hooked on Phonics® and you know it!

also why is that circled R showing up every time we say Hooked on Phonics® that doesn't make any seeeeense
  • edited 2013-06-23 13:47:31
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Part of Mario's charm is how wacky and unusual everything is, including the titular star. :) A simple Italian plumber gets to use magic powers and platform through magical fantasy lands. It is great!
  • Indeed.

I don't think there's any budging Quip, however-- he's a diehard Sonic fan. In fact, the only reason he's using Rayman as an avatar at all is to piss me off, which doesn't seem to be working very well.
    Uso da! 

I have my other reasons.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Mario stayed good when 3D happened; I wonder if we can say the same for Sonic? >:3
    Like... I enjoyed the Rabbids games!
  • Those don't count.
    >:(
    Miko said:

Mario stayed good when 3D happened; I wonder if we can say the same for Sonic? >:3

He... he hit a rough patch! It got better after Colors!
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-06-23 13:54:23
    "Rough patch"?

Five games is not a rough patch, that's a progressive downward spiral into Hell.
    It has occurred to me that Mario is rather strange for a video game hero (a fat Italian plumber???), and would be quite unlikely to be created today.
  • It has occurred to me that Mario is rather strange for a video game hero (a fat Italian plumber???), and would be quite unlikely to be created today.

The same could be said for a lot of gaming's icons.

A round pink body of fluff that lives in a world of dreams? An androgynous elf that fights in a mystical land created by three goddesses? Halo might as well be "Samus but male" and that game franchise has become rather generic now hasn't it? 
  • Yarrun said:

Hey, if Robert Downey Jr. can make a comeback after years of muck, then so can Sonic

(and Heroes wasn't all bad)

Also, this statement has made me imagine what it would be like if it was Robery Downey Jr. playing Super Mario in that live-action movie.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I feel that Samus was rather "conventional" when she debuted... excepting the "surprise" that she was a female the whole time.
    The elf is basically straight out of the fantasy genre that had been previously popularized by Tolkien, etc.

Samus is actually pretty conventional aside from (gasp) BEING A GIRL

Mario, though...that dude was created in like 1981, no doubt about it. Having "cool" game heroes didn't matter so much back then.
  • Considering the way Female protagonists have been of late (As in, there are very little of them)

Yes, I do consider Samus unconventional in this regard.

• It has occurred to me that Mario is rather strange for a video game hero (a fat Italian plumber???), and would be quite unlikely to be created today.

The same could be said for a lot of gaming's icons.

A round pink body of fluff that lives in a world of dreams? An androgynous elf that fights in a mystical land created by three goddesses? Halo might as well be "Samus but male" and that game franchise has become rather generic now hasn't it? 
    I have a rant pre-prepped about all the differences between Samus and the Master Chief (or any Spartan for that matter) and why comparing them so blithely is disrespectful to both would you like to hear it.
  • I would be curious to hear about it.
  • Yarrun said:

Really, Samus vs. Master Chief comparisons fall apart after 'well, they both have power armor'.

I didn't actually mean for an in-depth comparisons, it was mostly for the contrast approach to the design of the protagonist.

I.E. "Let's make a game about a dude in some power armor, but then it's actually a female",

Wherein modern reiterations, you just have Halo's "Let's make a game about a dude in some power armor"

and they shoot stuff
  • *sigh*

to put it in the simplest way possible

*Samus Aran is a bounty hunter who is infused with parts of alien DNA (in later games at any rate). Her suit of armor is central to the plot and can be upgraded by the player at numerous intervals throughout her games, and it also actually contains all of her weapons.

*John-117 ("The Master Chief") is a genetically-engineered super soldier that was abducted from his home by the UNSC (a global, spacefaring government) as part of a project to make whole battalions of said super soldiers called Spartans (Spartan II's to be exact, it's a long story). John's suit is certainly critical to his function, but to the player is mostly incidental as anything other than a vehicle for Cortana. John-117 was, in the main line of Halo games (1-3) the last publicly known of the Spartans. In later games, more were introduced, and others were known to exist because of the tie-in novels.

the similarities extend to "they fight in space and have power armor". That's about it.

They are both genetically modified power-suit-using monster-shooting space explorers in a futurey sci fi setting. The design is very similar even though the back stories are a bit different.
  • LWLW
    edited 2013-06-23 17:24:03

Quip,
    To go back to the original topic for a bit, it sounds like the whole thing is really just a misunderstanding. Mario is actually a building supervisor responsible for the maintenance and repair of Peach's castle, so when Nintendo refers to him as "super" they are just stating his job title, not making a judgment about the quality of his character.
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    So that's what he was doing in Wrecking Crew
  • In addition, Samus's adventures are more about exploration and adventure. Killing is involved, but it's done for the purpose of further exploration. Even the weapons serve as tools to further this goal. And there's often a plot about a great evil that needs to be destroyed somehow, but that's usually incidental

The Halo games, in contrast, are closer to standard military fare. The focus is on combat or completing objectives, and exploration of the environment is only done to further those two goals.
  • edited 2013-06-23 18:03:38
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."

Considering the way Female protagonists have been of late (As in, there are very little of them)

Yes, I do consider Samus unconventional in this regard.

I wouldn't say they're quite that much of a rarity. Off the top of my head, I can think of Lara Croft, Bayonetta, Lyn (Fire Emblem 7), Eirika (Fire Emblem 8), Micaiah (Fire Emblem 10), Nilin (an upcoming game by the name of Remember Me), Heather Mason (Silent Hill 3), and Jill Valentine (Resident Evil). And that's before we consider the games that let you play as characters of either gender, like Pokémon and Animal Crossing.

However, I will not deny that women should be better represented in video games.
    Touhou is amazing because it is all girls doing cool things and there are no guys to mess it up. :3
    Also one would think that in a video game "all female" means "sexualized" but there is none of that in Touhou. :) (fanon, on the other hand...)