The Health Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

124»

Comments

• Miko said:

hmm, I think you're supposed to get plenty of sleep and have non-exercising days and eat protein and stuff.

three days a week is what I've usually heard, but doing it daily isn't too bad as long as you pace yourself properly
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    My wisdom teeth are really sensitive to cold and sweet foods. My teeth in general have become very sensitive to too many sweet foods.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    My appetite is shrinking but I still feel compelled to take more food than I can comfortably eat.

And I feel compelled to clean my plate, regardless of how sick it's going to make me.
  • edited 2015-12-24 16:21:40
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Here it is, @Tachyon.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Merci beaucoup, Crystal.

Wow, this thread is full of people who don't post anymore.

Anyway, i have a question.

i've been following the RCAF 5BX plan, and i recently progressed to the second chart, which introduces sit-ups.  And, coincidentally or not, i've also been getting pain in my lower back recently.

i mentioned this to my dad, and he seemed concerned; googling around, apparently sit-ups are supposed to be bad for you?

So i've been planning on swapping in crunches instead, but, as i don't know a lot about this, i wondered if anyone here knows: do crunches stretch the same muscles as sit-ups (5BX exercises are intended to stretch muscles WHILE exercising, removing the need for a warm-up)?  And can i just swap in crunches for sit-ups on a 1:1 basis or do i need to do more/fewer crunches than i would sit-ups?
    Bump.

Anyone?
    i've been getting a weird hissing in my right ear and it won't go away and it's stressing me out

it was even worse last night when i was trying to sleep
    i try to drown it out with music, but it's like it's at a constant volume, always at the forefront of the mix
  • edited 2016-01-18 21:20:19
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    -
  • Tachyon said:

i've been getting a weird hissing in my right ear and it won't go away and it's stressing me out

it was even worse last night when i was trying to sleep

Is it just a high-pitched tone that goes a--wait, you said it doesn't go away.  Hm...
  • edited 2016-01-18 22:01:02
    sometimes i tune it out when i'm distracted by other things, maybe it's not there anymore then?

sometimes i can't tune it out
  • edited 2016-02-29 05:07:50
    i recently decided to make push-ups a thing i do regularly, outside my regular routine (which incorporates 12 consecutive push-ups at present)

at the point where i'm at i can *comfortably* manage about 10 consecutively, but i can bring it up to 25 if i push myself to the point where i physically can't move anymore

today i managed 40 and i'm pretty pleased about that.  the most i'd managed previously was 30, earlier this week.
  • jESUS CHRIST HE FUCKING WON
  • wrong thread, but yep
    i am a little worried that eating McDonalds almost every day might be bad for me

i've always been so vague about dietary stuff.  like i hear co-workers talking about calories and like, i literally don't know what a "calorie" is?  it's a unit of energy but what does that even mean?  everyone else seems like they know what it entails health-wise and such

*shrug*
  • edited 2016-04-08 16:18:40
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    boop
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Wrong thread, Princess?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    yeah

i blame this naming scheme
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Tachyon said:

i am a little worried that eating McDonalds almost every day might be bad for me

i've always been so vague about dietary stuff.  like i hear co-workers talking about calories and like, i literally don't know what a "calorie" is?  it's a unit of energy but what does that even mean?  everyone else seems like they know what it entails health-wise and such

*shrug*

the average intake is 2000 calories

though calories are important they're not the only thing - you should also look at stuff like carbohydrates, which as a prediabetic i am told i have to watch
    hm

that helps somewhat, thank you

i should read up on this
  • a calorie is the amount of energy it takes to heat 1 gram of water 1 degree C iirc from health class. They're used to figure out the intake/usage ratios for energy taken in vs energy used.

so if your calorie intake is way above what your body is using on a regular basis, you're likely to put on weight, if it's lower, you'll lose, at least in theory.

Pay attention to the proportions of what you're eating, like how much protein vs carbohydrates, leafy veggies vs starchy veg.

also re sit-ups, crunches are actually worse for you from what I've heard. 
    You can ease into having the abdominal strength for normal situps by starting with a pillow or two under your back/shoulders to prop you up a bit, and as that gets easy, remove pillows until such a time that you're able to manage flat on the floor. if you increase reps or sets and start getting sore, add a pillow back and work your way back to no pillow.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    confusingly, though, the food calorie actually corresponds to 1000 of the calories that scientists use
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    And to make matters worse, a kcal is worth 4184 J...and you're far more likely to see joules outside of nutrition.
  • Calica said:

confusingly, though, the food calorie actually corresponds to 1000 of the calories that scientists use

this is why context is important!!

also if they put me on a sixth antibiotic and don't pull the picc I'm gonna whine so much.
    Thanks, @Buttercrispy.  And . . . i'm dumb, i should have done more research on the sit-ups, i've been doing crunches since late last December.  i'll take your pillow advice and see if the back pain goes away.

(i'm not overweight, but i am concerned that i have a family history of diabetes, and also i'm just kind of feeble which isn't great given i need to do things like heavy lifting at work and don't want to injure myself.)
  • I'm not overweight, but I do have a bit of a belly that doesn't seem to go away, even if I starve myself for a few hours. It's not that noticeable unless I wear tight clothing, in which case it sticks out like a sore thumb. How do I get rid of it in time for my sister's wedding in July?
  • the only context in which I truly fear death is low-end department stores
  • Toolsie said:

I'm not overweight, but I do have a bit of a belly that doesn't seem to go away, even if I starve myself for a few hours. It's not that noticeable unless I wear tight clothing, in which case it sticks out like a sore thumb. How do I get rid of it in time for my sister's wedding in July?

I feel the same way about myself and the only thing I know to do about this is sit-ups, which I should do more often. More often than "basically not at all", that is.
  • Toolsie said:

I'm not overweight, but I do have a bit of a belly that doesn't seem to go away, even if I starve myself for a few hours. It's not that noticeable unless I wear tight clothing, in which case it sticks out like a sore thumb. How do I get rid of it in time for my sister's wedding in July?

I feel the same way about myself and the only thing I know to do about this is sit-ups, which I should do more often. More often than "basically not at all", that is.
    core toning might do it, but if you've got a uterus, that rests against the abdominal wall and can cause a pauchy lookin thing from what I remember. 

look for stuff that works seatbelt abs and lats at the very least
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Tools has a uterus; I do not think that Glenn does. Either way, core toning is a good idea, methinks.
  • Tools has a uterus; I do not think that Glenn does. Either way, core toning is a good idea, methinks.

this was an interesting comment to see out of context