The Health Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• W00t. New 1rm for squats: 185lbs. Also, can do 7 chinups in a row.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    :)
  • And in not-so-good news, Mr. Darcy and I both have a stomach bug today.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Well that blows...two days ago...
  • Today I'm feeling fine...just tired.
  • I CAN BENCH PRESS MY WEIGHT NOW!
  • edited 2013-09-04 01:33:33
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Friday has a Fitbit now and is starting to be more active because of it. She's trying to make sure she hits at least 2 miles a day.

Also, congratulations. 
  • Ate something bad and had a serious allergic reaction, so now I'm sick and homebound.
  • edited 2013-10-25 13:39:44
    The sadness will last forever.
    I have to get an ultrasound next week and I have never went out with anyone ever. The reason is that I don't have a period this month or it tends to come really late

Update: Turns out I don't need to go after all because I just got my period.
  • I am sick with some sort of cough.

Dang, yo. Get well soon.
  • I am feeling a little better today.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    touches her nose to check her health
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Hey everyone, I suppose I should report that I've been lifting weights for two months. I've already progressed to 220 lbs on the leg press machine and 160 on the rotary lat and lower back machines.for sets of 8. I'm still getting used to free weights, though.
  • Werewolf By Night seems to have caught the cold from me.
    I felt so awful that I slept 17 or 18 hours yesterday, and still got a full night's sleep today. I'm over the hump and plan to get some exercise today.
  • Feeling better. Been bulking. I've gained 1.9 lbs total so far, of which 1.3 was lean body mass, and my 1rm for squat is up from 195 lbs to 215 lbs. Feeling good about myself.
  • Stayed up until 3 am working on homework and now I feel lousy.

Stayed up to 3 am working on trying to sleep and now I feel lousy.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    it's 3 am now and i feel lousy
  • you know this is a general thread

anyhoo like with the actual topic of this thread i guess i've gone down a shirt size.
  • That's good. I'm feeling better. Actually got some sleep last night.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ I love that album. And that song.
  • Completed 1000 push ups today.

15 sets of 30
    8 sets of 25
    10 sets of 20
    10 sets of 15

Time I started: 10:02am
    Time I finished: 7:18pm
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I eat absolute junk, yet I seem to burn all the calories off it by walking to the train station and back every day for school, on top of walking to the local shopping district to pass time on weekends. Explain this bullshit.
    Good metabolism, I suppose.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    My physiology professor did say that regular exercise gradually increases your metabolic rate. I'm just surprised that just walking half an hour to an hour a day could have this much of an effect over time.
    Some people just naturally have high metabolic rates. It is entirely possible that you could loaf all day and still not gain that much weight due to genetic factors.
    i'm like that.  i don't exercise nearly enough, and i'm slightly underweight.

I' working on getting my sleep schedule back to something resembling normal. 

There's some unfortunate hurtles here as Lain is no longer confined to a crib and will wander into the bedroom in the middle of the night.
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    Wowee another thread I forgot I made
    Holy shit I get sick a lot
    On topic, I am finally not sick and it feels good

Yay! Congratulations! 
  • I couldn't think of a better thread for this, so...

Other people on the autism spectrum: Do you ever go through periods of being especially sensitive to particular sounds for no apparent reason?
    yeah that's sort of my biggest overstimness really
  • Does anyone know for how long it is safe to starve, that is, refrain from eating completely? I've heard it can lead to problems with kidneys, and I'd rather not be hospitalized, but it does seem to be the fastest way to lose weight. But I haven't been completely healthy lately. And I'd rather not involve doctors

So, how long is safe? Is 3 days or so ok, and will it lead to visible difference?
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    Don't do that.
  • Starving yourself for three days is by NO MEANS ok. The longest I've ever starved myself was for 25 hours, and that was for observance of a religious fast day. And it is miserable, and the only fun part is pigging out once it's over. Don't starve yourself unless you have to, and NEVER do something that risks being hospitalized (heck, people who are at risk for being hospitalized if they refrain from eating for 25 hours are told by religious authorities not to observe the fast day).
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I've tried starvation before to lose weight and it was probably not a good idea.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/diet-myth-truth-fasting-effective-weight-loss

Dangers of Fasting for Weight Loss

When you dramatically reduce your calorie intake, you will lose weight. But
    it can also cause all kinds of health problems, including muscle loss. Further,
    when you start fasting, your body goes into conservation mode, burning calories
    more slowly. 

Keep in mind that the initial weight lost on a fast is primarily fluid or
    "water weight," not fat. And when you go back to eating, any lost weight
    usually gets a return ticket back. Not only do most people regain weight lost
    on a fast, they tend to add a few extra pounds because a slower metabolism
    makes it easier to gain weight. Worse, the weight that is regained is likely to
    be all fat -- lost muscle has to be added back at the gym.

Side effects of fasting include dizziness, headaches, low blood sugar,
    muscle aches, weakness, and fatigue.  Prolonged fasting can lead to
    anemia, a weakened immune system, liver and kidney problems, and irregular
    heartbeat. Fasting can also result in vitamin and mineral deficiencies, muscle
    breakdown, and diarrhea. When you drink laxative concoctions during a fast,
    there is an increased risk of fluid imbalance and dehydration.

The risks get more complicated and severe the longer you stay on a fast, or
    if you repeatedly go on fasts.

The Truth About Fasting

The bottom line: Nutrition experts agree that fasting is a potentially
    dangerous, and not particularly effective, way to lose weight. 

Instead of a fast, opt for a healthy eating plan that you can stick with
    long-term  Healthy diets
    provide a minimum of 1,200 calories and include a variety of fruits,
    vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy, lean protein, and healthy fats, along
    with regular physical activity

If you are not convinced and want to go on a fast, be sure to consult your
    physician first.

• edited 2014-05-15 14:22:58
    What if I started to feel much more healthy both mentally and physically at the same time I've became less restrictive about eating? No gorging on Big Macs (except once, to prove a point), but eating "healthy" for general meals and having nice things if the opportunity presents and they are interesting. And what if that pattern causes me to gain weight?

By feeling more healthy I mean having more energy, good sleep, no drowsiness, not suffering from mild stomach discomfort as if I am having endless periods (that feeling been nearly constant during the year I was more strict about eating), being in a stable good mood (again, for once. That hadn't happened in a year. The stable good mood, I mean, not good mood in general) and having much more mental alertness.
  • I can't see what point you would prove by gorging on big macs, but I think it is healthy to treat yourself to some not-so-"clean" food occasionally, to avoid feeling deprived, so long as it fits your basic daily macronutrient needs.
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    Beholder said:

What if I started to feel much more healthy both mentally and physically at the same time I've became less restrictive about eating? No gorging on Big Macs (except once, to prove a point), but eating "healthy" for general meals and having nice things if the opportunity presents and they are interesting. And what if that pattern causes me to gain weight?

Healthiness is the goal. If you do something and it's non-harmful and making you feel great, then that is the thing you should keep doing.
  • I think I have a tapeworm in my stomach! I am seeing a doctor today.
  • got results back from bloodwork for TSH levels and despite being on the same dose for three years, the graph with those three years is basically a triangle with points in the low end of normal, extremely abnormally high (22), and now below normal. My PCP consults with an endocrinologist each time I have bloodwork done before she does anything, but it's super frustrating to not know what's going on in one of the big hormone hubs in your body.
    Beholder said:

Depending on your BMI, regaining some weight is not necessarily unhealthy. The diet you're describing is how people are supposed to eat.

Also, Leigh and I eat the same food, so OH CRAP.
    Why do you think you have a tapeworm in your stomach? That is really horrifying and I don't want to imagine that those things exist.
  • The doctor said I probably do not have a tapeworm. So it's ok, probably.
  • That is good to hear
    :)
    Is exercise supposed to get harder before it gets easier?

I've been following the same exercise plan since September and I think it's actually more tiring now than it was when I started.  It's a bit disheartening.
    hmm, I think you're supposed to get plenty of sleep and have non-exercising days and eat protein and stuff.
    no, i'm supposed to be exercising daily.

it's probably the sleep, or the diet... i don't do too well on either front