The kitchen

edited 2013-01-22 10:45:14 in General
Yeah, yeah, a woman started a thread called "the kitchen." Laugh all you want.

I think we should have a thread to talk about stuff we've cooked lately, ask for recipes/tips, and just generally discuss cooking. So I made this thread.

I've also made biscuits this weekend, and chicken wings, and some thai cucumber salad from a recipe I got from Justice42.
Tagged:

Comments

• edited 2013-01-21 13:41:55

I think there is already a cooking thread

but seeing as it's name was nowhere near as perfect or funny, this should be the new one.

How was the salad?
  • bbc good food is a great site for finding cool ass recipes
  • http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/11741/simple-coconut-and-bean-soup-

so good. also playing reggae while you cook/eat it makes it 10x better

also the site is useful because the user ratings are usually a fairly good indication of how good the recipe is

• It was good. I think I should add less onion next time, simply because I do not like raw onion.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens

Note: her biscuits are delicious. 

sunn wolf said:

bbc good food is a great site for finding cool ass recipes

What if I don't like how donkey tastes?
  • So what happens if someone makes a cooking post outside of this thread?
  • they will be flambeed alive.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Also, that cucumber salad recipe is awesome.

Basically a spicy cucumber salad with peanuts. Gotta love Thai food.

Metal spatulas can scratch up your non-stick pots in pans.

It's advisable to get some rubber ones for that reason.

I'd avoid cheap ones from the dollar store and what have you. I had one of those melt on me while cooking. Not fun. 

Also, my cheap tablet works well for keeping online recipes on hand to look at while cooking.

Apparently I've taken over this thread.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Justice got back in The kitchen, where he belongs.
  • excuse me, but i want to talk to you about batman

Batman loves making turkey because of the long time to prepare.
  • Justice42 said:

i have never been more glad that i posted in the wrong thread
  • also who uses fresh bread for making stuffing?

I did last Thanksgiving.

OR rather, I got some fresh bread, cut it into roughly cube shapes, let is sit overnight, and made very basic stuffing.

It was AWESOME! Completely different stuffing experience as the stuffing has more textures as opposed to just moosh. 
  • *Wants to try stuffing made from fresh bread now*
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-01-23 21:32:01
    I'm making pumpkin bread. Unfortunately it's the kind that comes out of a box from Aldi, but it's still good and most of the recipes I wanted to make needed vanilla and we don't have any, so I'm okay with that.

It'll do, you know? Just needed to bake something.
  • edited 2013-01-23 22:02:26
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

*Wants to try stuffing made from fresh bread now*

I think you did considering you where at my house at Thanksgiving, weren't you?

Also, it's not like Pumpkins are in season, so I think it's OK to use a box here.
  • edited 2013-01-23 22:11:44

Justice42 said:

I did last Thanksgiving.

OR rather, I got some fresh bread, cut it into roughly cube shapes, let is sit overnight, and made very basic stuffing.

It was AWESOME! Completely different stuffing experience as the stuffing has more textures as opposed to just moosh. 
    I'm totally gonna do that next year. I tried Cornbread stuffing this year, which had a great taste, but I still just got mush when I was done cooking it.
  • I had a weird desire to make corn muffins yesterday

is this worth doing?

I don't see why not. 

Kinda wondering what it would take to make them from scratch, but the problem I have with cord bread using the pre-mixed boxes is that it's so good, I have trouble imagining I could improve on it.

I made gnocchi once. It tasted great, but not really any better than what I could get at the store. And it was a ton of effort to make, involving a food processor and what have you. 

Next time, I'll just walk down to Walmart and buy a package of the stuff.
  • well I was thinking about it at work cuz I was in the bake aisle and we sell corn muffin mix.

I've had cornbread before and liked it so I'm just wondering if baking is hard? I've never baked before.

Baking is pretty exact and unforgiving, unlike cooking where you can flub and often adjust ingredients here and there.

That being said, I can think of no better way to get started then premixed items. It'll probably have you add milk and /or eggs. But other than that, should be pretty easy. It'll also probably taste pretty good. The nice thing about the premixed baking stuff is that it's just a bunch of ingredients that you'd usually get dry and have to mix yourself, anyhow.
  • Justice.  You are now required to dress up as Batman every time you cook for me.
    Thank you.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    You can even get cornbread mix, around here anyway. One of the big companies that makes it is native to Baltimore and sells under the "Washington" brand.