Disney stuff that looks horrible in hindsight

edited 2012-11-21 21:40:31 in General Media
You probably already know about the Mickey Mouse suicide comic. If not, go here.

So have this:

Tagged:

Comments

wow ok then
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I wish I looked up Disney advertisements more often

Seeing licensed depictions of the characters that aren't airbrushed to hell and back is kinda weird

That said, bow chicka wow woww
  • edited 2012-11-21 21:40:02
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    Here's something that looks horrible now: Making 3D DTV shit of all their old IPs

I noticed the other day that there's some new Tinkerbell 3D video out, and well fuckit I'll let John K explain this one
    I thought it was just Tinkerbell that they were milking that way...

As for other stuff like that, I can only think of Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas.
  • They haven't been terrible about the whole DTV thing lately, for the most part they wound that practice down in 2009-ish.

Alas, it is not fully wound down, though. Hence the existence of the Buddies franchise. Lord.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    So John K thinks the only reason we'd watch Peter Pan is for Tinkerbell's ass?

Some people...
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.

So John K thinks the only reason we'd watch Peter Pan is for Tinkerbell's ass?

Some people...

Well it's certainly not for the Indian song
    I have to admit, being half Indian myself, I found that scene a tad uncomfortable.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    ^ What nation?
    Apache
    Tre said:

They haven't been terrible about the whole DTV thing lately, for the most part they wound that practice down in 2009-ish.

Alas, it is not fully wound down, though. Hence the existence of the Buddies franchise. Lord.

Air Buddies always struck me as a blatant cash grab

Like, they ran out of sports for Buddy so they focused on his kids instead
    Apparently Buddy died in 1998

WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME

Oh yeah, because I didn't care.
  • I'm pretty sure there were like 5 different golden retrievers that played Buddy, not counting the pups in the original films or the Buddies.

In other news, has anyone else noticed that Walt Didney Pictures never calls itself that anymore? In all of its movies since Brave at the least the credit logo only reads "Didney".

Not really a horrible thing, just a thought.
    Didney?
    ^^I'd noticed that too.

I guess they think "Walt Disney Pictures" looks clunky or something? (They'd used the version with just "Disney" in it on TV ads before then, though)
    Doesn't look clunky at all!

Still, I guess it's not that bad. Most people wouldn't even notice since the emphasis is on the castle anyway.

• Didney?

Yes.

As in, Didney Worl. Or Didneylan for you Californians.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    That 3D chrome-plated rendering of the the (Walt) Disney wordmark is ugly.

I guess a flat wordmark would look out of place against a lovingly-rendered CGI castle, but still.
  • edited 2012-11-22 22:04:41
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    If you look closely at the "Walt Disney" wordmark you'll notice that it has been redesigned for that logo

I wish that whoever redesigned it (Weta Digital did the logo animation, I don't know if they did the wordmark) had taken the opportunity to make the "y" look more like a "y", but maybe the brief told them to make the redesign look inconspicuous...

Come to think of it I wonder what handwriting sample the wordmark is based on; in some autographs/signatures the "y" looks more like a y...
  • edited 2012-11-22 22:10:38
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Two thoughts...

First: Is it strange that "Walt Disney", to me, evokes a beloved animator while "Disney" alone invokes a massive conglomerate bent on bowdlerizing everything?

Second: It's weird to look back at this incarnation of the WDP logo. At the time it seemed like the coolest thing ever...

I like to think that that version of the logo exists primarily so Pixar could make extra damn sure that Toy Story was entirely CGI.

Also I was sad to see it go (as of Wall-E it's been replaced by the regular Disney logo, even though it's an incredible piece of work in its own right I still like the old Pixar castle).
  • edited 2012-11-22 22:20:39
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I remember having a similar thought when I first saw Toy Story in the theater. I was struck not only by how beautiful the CGI castle was, but with the attention to detail required on Pixar's part to make sure the opening logo matched the style of the rest of the movie.

Granted, I was 5, so in my head I phrased it more as "Cool, they made it match!" but you get the idea.

(As an aside, Toy Story was the first movie I ever saw in theaters twice.)
    The first movie I saw in theaters twice was Ghosts of the Abyss...

I wish I'd gotten to see TS in a theater (I'd seen both sequels theatrically)
  • This one is still my favorite, if only for the nostalgia filter. The modern one is second.

• Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
  • Tre said:

Doesn't look clunky at all!

Still, I guess it's not that bad. Most people wouldn't even notice since the emphasis is on the castle anyway.

Like the earlier one better than the latter.

In my mind, Disney World (well, Magic Kingdom) defaults to blue. Doesn't seem right for it to be in orange.
    The orange one's not the default.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Tre said:

This one is still my favorite, if only for the nostalgia filter. The modern one is second.

I was thinking about this one earlier...I have a massive amount of nostalgia attached to it (especially the music) but oddly, no real specific memories. Just a kind of "fuck yeah, old Disney!"
    I remember disliking when that logo was plastered over by the current one on new prints of their old movies...but watching it again it's no wonder they scrub it out now

I'm not unfavorable towards old stuff but that logo is kinda pathetic
    It's very much a product of its time, no?
  • edited 2012-11-23 05:08:50
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    It is (see the segmented-line castle; ripping off the IBM logo was a big thing in the '80s, and I'm not sure if it had to do with Paul Rand giving that logo its segmented appearance for the sake of reproduction at small sizes or not) but I don't think it's held up very well.

It does induce nostalgia but still.
  • The 2000 one holds up a little better, if only because it makes the old one a bit more modern.

I mostly see this one as a midpoint between the 2nd generation Pixar logo (the one they use for everything) and the old 80's/90's standard logo though. Even then, they didn't use it for everything anyway, only the movies it really fit (National Treasure and Holes come to mind).