My spaceship is on fire. Let's Play FTL: Faster Than Light!

edited 2012-11-07 20:16:17 in Liveblogs

Hey, guys! I'm gonna be doing a liveblog of FTL: Faster Than Light, but you probably already knew that.

FTL is basically a roguelike-like spaceship simulation game thing. The player is in control of the crew of a small Federation (currently on the losing end of a rebellion) space ship, sent to deliver vital information to the headquarters of the Federation fleet. Did I mention that they're being chased by basically the entire rebel fleet? Also how the Federation headquarters are on the other side of the galaxy, with pirates, evil space aliens, rebel scouts, and killer giant space spiders standing between them? 

Anyway's here's the starting screen. First of all, if you'll look at the top left part of the screen, you'll see the ship's name. We can call it whatever we want, but it's mostly a cosmetic thing. Along the left side, you can see the various things for selecting a different ship, but I only have this one ship unlocked so we'll be using it. At the bottom, where it says crew, is our loyal crew. We can name them whatever, and choose if they're male or female. Again, this is mostly cosmetic. For weapons, we have a missile launcher and a laser. The laser gun shoots lasers that damage the enemy ship's hulls and/or systems, but is blocked by shields. The missile launcher bypasses shields, but is really slow to fire and uses up missiles, making it useless if you run out of missiles. If the hull is completely damaged, the ship explodes spectacularly. If a system is damaged, it becomes harder or downright impossible to do what the system does, like raising shields, firing weapons, or supplying oxygen to the ship. 

Speaking of systems, those are the things right below the ship. There's Shields, Engines, Oxygen, Weapons, Medical, Piloting, Sensors, and Doors. They can all be upgraded during the course of the game with Scrap, which can also be used to buy things from merchants. Shields are your basic sci-fi energy shield, they stop lasers from causing damage to the ship. Engines give you a better chance of dodging enemy fire and are required for actually traveling anywhere. They use fuel whenever you travel. Oxygen provides oxygen to the ship. If it gets to 0%, you die painfully and horribly. Weapons provides power to the guns and stuff. Medical heals the crew when they stand in the medical room. Piloting increases the chance to dodge and is required for travelling. Sensors let you see the rooms in your ship (and also the enemy ship's rooms, when sufficiently upgraded). Doors opens and closes the doors on the ship. Might not sound like much, but if you upgrade them, it becomes much harder for an enemy boarding party to get anywhere on your ship. There are other sensors too, like Drones, Cloaking, and Teleporters. We don't start with those, but we can buy them from traders. I'll discuss them if we actually buy one.

Augmentations are things you can add to your ship that do stuff, like nanobots that heal the crew even when they're not in sickbay.

Anyways, I think that about sums things up, mostly. For now, we need a ship name and crew names. I can't think of any good ones, so I'll leave it to you guys.

Comments

• The ship shall be christened SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANCE!

also crew names should totes be heaper usernames.

Can I be captain?

• I call medic.

If that position isn't available, then I call... um... I dunno.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Bunny would like to join this ragtag bunch of misfits.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Ace Rimmer needs to be Captain!
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    We can't have two captains! :o

Also there are only three starting crewmembers, and we can't rename the crewmembers we hire on the way, so sorry, Ace. :/
  • >thespacephantom is now playing FTL: Faster than Light

so this is apparently a Steam game.

• i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    Yup! It's pretty cheap, too, I got it for, like, under $20.
  • I'm always wary of buying things on Steam.

No idea why.

You can get a Steam card for like $20 at Gamestop. Those work well, for buying things.

So, here's the ship screen. I got Lazuli piloting, and I put Kexruct in the shield room and Bunny in the weapons room. Having a crew member in the system room provides a benefit to the system, like faster weapon reloads and increased shield recharging. The only systems that can be manned are shields, engines, weapons, and piloting. The top left part is mostly self-explanatory. The green part is the hull. If it gets to 0, everyone dies horribly and we have to start over at the beginning. Did I mention that this game has permadeath? Because it has permadeath and that's bad. 

The atom-y counter is the fuel gauge. One trip removes one unit of fuel. We can refuel at various trader shops, as well as repair the hull, buy missiles, buy miscellaneous upgrades, and sell things we don't need.

We have eight missiles right now. When we run out of missiles, the missile launcher will stop shooting missiles.

On the bottom left corner is the reactor. We have a certain amount of power at all times, which can be allocated to each system as we see fit. Powering a system fully increases its capabilities, while deactivating power deactivates the system. This is why deactivating Oxygen is a horrible horrible idea.

On the right side of the screen are subsystems. These run on their own power and cannot be powered fully or deactivated. 

At the top of the screen are the Jump button and the Ship button. The jump button opens up a minimap for traveling. We'll look at that in a bit. image

Clicking on the Ship button brings this screen up. We can upgrade each system with scrap, which we get from fighting space villains and helping space civilians out.

This is the crew tab. You can dismiss crew members. There is literally no reason to do that.

This is the equipment tab. We can equip weapons, drones (when we install them), or put either in the cargo hold.

Finally, we have the map screen. We can go to various nodes, and there are events at each nodes. Sometimes there's space pirates, sometimes there's nothing at all. Distress signals are important nodes we should go to if we like action (and/or being lured into a horrible trap by space pirates.) Shops appear when we get close enough to them. The exit leads us to the next sector.

Now that we've got all that down, should we go Down, Right, or to the Distress Call?
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Distress Call! We must always help those in need!
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    To the Distress Signal! Who cares if we're just starting out and might be a little underprepared? We're space heroes, dadgummit, and that's what we do!
  • >To the distress call, there are dames to be rescued!
    All right, we'll be heading to the distress call.
    So! We made it to the distress call, but I can't upload screenshots for whatever reason, so I'll just recount this thrilling tale with words.

Anyways, the distress call was sent by a bunch of space pirates. We defeated them, but they damaged our engines and medical room. And did I mention that the beacon was really fucking close to an active sun that sent out solar flares every five seconds that set parts of our ship on fire?

Well, we repaired the damaged systems, put out the fires, and got out of there. The next place we went to was next to a habitated planet. They didn't respond to our hails, though.

So, after that we had enough scrap to upgrade the doors so enemy boarding parties couldn't get through them. We also upgraded the oxygen system so it could replenish oxygen twice as fast.