What else will Disney buy?

edited 2012-11-01 16:37:33 in General Media
So Disney has announced the purchase of Lucasfilm for $4 billion, not long after paying as much for Marvel. What, if anything, will they buy next?

Walt Disney Studios is fast approaching, but not yet reaching, the point where it starts competing with itself (call this "the Starbucks problem"). The Walt Disney Animation Studio and Pixar each put out a film per year, enough together to saturate the November-December family blockbuster season (though one is typically released in summer). Marvel Studios puts out two movies a year for the May-July blockbuster season. If they're going to be making a Star Wars movie every other year, adding just one more "tent pole" franchise will fill the blockbuster seasons with a Disney film per month. And that's assuming they're retiring the Pirates series!

Comments

• The McDonald's Corporation.

Together, they will rule the galaxy.

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    What if everything were owned by one company

and that company was Anonus Inc.
  • edited 2012-11-01 17:42:19
    "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    No, seriously.

One possibility is Hasbro, which would add the Transformers franchise that's already grossed $2.7 billion and already makes the toys for Marvel and Lucasfilm.
    CONS: Every non-Transformers Hasbro movie has flopped, Disney has closer ties to rival Mattel.

Or they could buy James Cameron before he makes those Avatar sequels.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    Fox? I dunno.
  • It's 4:20 somewhere.
    Instagram.
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-11-01 17:17:01
    SKULLBOY ENTERTAINMENT lol no
  • To be more serious, maybe Didney would benefit from fully buying A+E Networks.

Possibly.
  • Disney will become its own competition and this will continue for so long that people will forget that Disney was ever one company. Chaos ensues. Society collapses. A small group of Disney employees will be the sole bastion of law in the wasteland that was once Earth. They become more and more influential in our Neo-Dark Age, eventually returning order to the land. Disney, as the new leaders of the world slowly incorporate the Kingdom of Pixar, the Duchy of LucasFilm, and the barony of Miramax into its empire. 

Disney buys itself, is what I'm saying.
    Sometimes I've thought about a world which is literally owned by Wal-Mart so that basically the whole thing is one giant Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart World.

Disney might be worse
  • the barony of miramax isn't owned by didney anymore
  • edited 2012-11-01 17:50:43
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    No, seriously.

One possibility is Hasbro, which would add the Transformers franchise that's already grossed $2.7 

Someone at Hasbro laughed all the way to the McDonalds with that money and used it to buy almost half of a value meal.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    ^ Fixed. :P
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Gilda said:

No, seriously.

One possibility is Hasbro, which would add the Transformers franchise that's already grossed $2.7 billion 

Someone at Hasbro laughed all the way to the McDonalds with that money and used it to buy almost half of a billion value meals.

They where not very responsible with that money.
  • I'm very confused.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

Sometimes I've thought about a world which is literally owned by Wal-Mart so that basically the whole thing is one giant Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart World.

Disney might be worse

Have you ever seen WALL-E? That's pretty much what destroyed the Earth...
    I have not seen WALL-E.

That must be a depressing movie
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    They just bought 11.975MHz from me

Best $2.79 I've ever earned
  • They just bought 11.975MHz from me

Best $2.79 I've ever earned
    so does that mean that Deco is a Disney Princess.
    No, she'll be cleaning out the wastebins at the employee cafe underground at Disneyland
  • I have not seen WALL-E.

That must be a depressing movie

Surprisingly, no.

But it has a lot of dark humor for a Pixar movie.
  • Ah.

Also, Lunchbox should prepare for a whitewashing.

Can't have any characters with dark skin in our works, that'd just be weird.

• Ah.

Also, Lunchbox should prepare for a whitewashing.

Can't have any characters with dark skin in our works, that'd just be weird.

...?
  • Disney (used to) have a weird habit of making characters lighter-skinned when adapting works.

Not so much anymore.

They're gonna make Fussy Britches wear clothes

They're gonna make Fussy Britches wear clothes

uh oh
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Wait, so it's OK for Donald Duck to run around without pants, but not Fussy Britches?!

That's some kinda fucked up double standard there!
    you know what would be awesome

if Disney took over the United States' healthcare and switched every ambulance siren to 130 decible Donald Duck cursing gibberish
  • KJIKJI
    Yeah... yeah!!! hell yeah!!!
    you know what would be awesome

if Disney took over the United States' healthcare and made it functional
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    You know what would be awesome?

If Famous Dead Mormons stopped posting.
    Aliroz_ said:

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Aliroz_ said:

• Aliroz_ said:

There's no reaction image here. I'm just agreeing with him.

• Aliroz_ said:

There's no reaction image here. I'm just agreeing with him.

What's so bad about FDM?

I mean, even if he is annoying, isn't what you're saying kind of mean?