Hardcore Gaming 101

edited 2012-09-27 03:43:58 in General Media

This comes up often enough that I feel it warrants a thread, and I'm currently on a hori-shmup binge thanks to the site.

Relatedly, are there any good (read: easy to use) PC-Engine emulators? I don't even know what a PC-Engine is (I assumed it was code for "a computer", y'know, but it's apparently not) but apparently quite a lot of good hori-shmups were released for it.

I would also like to state that despite the site's rather negative view of it, the SNES' Thunder Spirits is a pretty boss game. Even if I can't beat the third level.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I suppose that explains my confusion, sort of like the NES/Famicom thing.
  • Okay I'm actually bothering to look now, and is there a reason almost all of these emulators are primarily or exclusively command-line based? Or is it just like, code elitism?
  • Perhaps.

In any case, I found one that works (Hu-Go) but it seems to only run in a very small window, and I can't figure out the controls.

Either that or Raiden (which I downloaded as a test ROM) just has a really strange controlscheme.

• Yes you can, I just kind of can't puzzle through this menu.

There are four buttons (aside from the directionals, which work fine, and enter, which pauses the emulator), "Auto I", "Auto II", "I", and "II". Of these, only "I" (keyed to the spacebar, currently) seems to actually do anything, at least in Raiden. I think I'm going to download another ROM to see if Raiden's just got a funny control scheme or if it's something that needs to be changed in the emulator itself.

• More bizarrely, my changing the buttons doesn't seem to actually...y'know, change them. Spacebar is still the only key that does anything, and it seems to be keyed to the Turbo's equivalent of the B button, because it seems to always fire bombs/some other kind of secondary fire. Tested this on Darius Plus too.

Weird shit, man. Weird shit.

I'll have to break out my GameStop Controller then and see if I can get it to run with that thing.

FreeRom is an interesting site, by the way. They have ROMs for systems I've never heard of (I was vaguely aware of the existence of something called The Wonderswan, but the "Raine"?)

• Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.

Relatedly, are there any good (read: easy to use) PC-Engine emulators? I don't even know what a PC-Engine is (I assumed it was code for "a computer", y'know, but it's apparently not) but apparently quite a lot of good hori-shmups were released for it.

I would also like to state that despite the site's rather negative view of it, the SNES' Thunder Spirits is a pretty boss game. Even if I can't beat the third level.

ME TO THE RESCUE
    http://www.succubi.org/db/perfectlyuseless/vintagevideogames/turbografx/index.html

Also I did some of the artwork for the in-game art for the last American Turbo16 game release - Meteor Blaster DX. The Turbografx16 and Genesis were two very, very comparable machines -- about the only edge the Genesis had over the former was an extra background layer. The Turbografx/TurboExpress was also the only way to play portable Street Fighter II back in the day, until the Sega Nomad came along like 5 years later.  For an emulator, I use Magic Engine. It's a $15 shareware, but it's the most compatible, easiest to use and the author David Michel has does a lot of nice stuff on the side to help the Turbo/PCE community for free. 

As for Thunder Spirits, the reason the SNES version gets harshed on so much is because Thunder Force III (its Genesis/Megadrive counterpart) is considered to be King Shit of all Genesis shooters and gospel says that nothing can come close to it.  It's pure console warrior fanboy bullshit. Also lofty title of "best Megadrive shooter" belongs to Gaiares. 

• I've used Magic Engine once before--didn't pay for it, but then again I've lost it to I-have-no-idea-where-I-put-it anyway.
  • I don't play any PC games, unless you count Runescape.

Can I still qualify as a hardcore gamer?

• Frosty said:

The thingy in your avatar is from a PC game that was ported to consoles.

Well aware of this.
    Frosty said:

And yes you can. PC elitism is just as dumb as console fanboyism. Good games are good games!! .

SWEET
  • As for Thunder Spirits, the reason the SNES version gets harshed on so much is because Thunder Force III (its Genesis/Megadrive counterpart) is considered to be King Shit of all Genesis shooters and gospel says that nothing can come close to it. It's pure console warrior fanboy bullshit. Also lofty title of "best Megadrive shooter" belongs to Gaiares. 

Well I suppose that's good for me.

Also has anyone else noticed that the ship in Thunder Spirits totally looks like Starscream? That can't just be me, can it?

Also I was unaware you had any history in vidya game making, coolness.

Very related content incoming from Lost Levels:

(It's Treasure.  Yes, that Treasure.)
  • I'm afraid I don't understand the relation here?

Also I tried using MAME. Haha no.

Oh, and Howard Philips (Howard and Nester) just showed up there too:

I'm afraid I don't understand the relation here?

Lost Levels and HG101 are bestest buds. They do a lot of their work in tandem. 
  • Oh. I wouldn't know anything about that.

Seriously though MAME is strange, I wanna play Darius Extra, and I have it in its own folder in the ROMs section, yet it insists it can't find any games.

Strange.

Oh. I wouldn't know anything about that.

Seriously though MAME is strange, I wanna play Darius Extra, and I have it in its own folder in the ROMs section, yet it insists it can't find any games.

Strange.

simply put the darius game in its zipped form into the roms folder.

if that doesn't work, check how the zip file is named. it has to be exact.

it also might need bios roms from the original arcade cabinet. 
  • oh it needs to be zipped

that

that explains quite a bit, actually.

• also what is that game with the lightning dragon laser thing? It's a hori-shmup, and I know the ship is called the Delta Tri (or Deltatry if you like your Engrish) but I'm blanking on the title.

also what is that game with the lightning dragon laser thing? It's a hori-shmup, and I know the ship is called the Delta Tri (or Deltatry if you like your Engrish) but I'm blanking on the title.

I know what game you're talking about, uhm

Just a sec

Syvalion
  • Syvalion? Danke.

I was thinking Trigon, but I think that's the name of the aforementioned Dragon-Laser-Lightning-Thing.

• edited 2012-09-27 18:30:14
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    From what I've Googled, Trigon is the game you were looking for. In Syvalion, you actually play as a mecha dragon instead of the laser being a dragon.

Also, Delta Tri is the name of a boss in Gradius Gaiden that's based on the ship in Trigon.
  • and MAME is still telling me it can't find any ROMs.

Okay, I am going to stop doing this and play some more Thunder Spirits for awhile before I start foaming at the mouth again.

From what I've Googled, Trigon is the game you were looking for. In Syvalion, you actually play as a mecha dragon instead of the laser being a dragon.

Also, Delta Tri is the name of a boss in Gradius Gaiden that's based on the ship in Trigon.

In that case I've got two games to try out then.

(relatedly: more games need to have you play as a dragon. That's only the second series I've ever heard of that lets you, the other being Panzer Dragoon)

• Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I love these guys. They have articles on EVERYTHING.

This one being my newest favorite game series. I only have Ys Origin and Oath in Felghana, but I'm planning on picking up the other games in the series.
  • That article has one of my favorite graphics on the entire site.

Yeah, it's one of the few websites I bother looking at anymore. Love HG101. When I get more time I'd like to get around to contributing to the site too. 
  • You should pester them to do an article on that MHz game when you finish it.
  • FINALLY beat the first level of Thunder Spirits without losing any lives.

Fuckyea.jpg

If you're a TRUE and HONEST hardcore gamer, you'll play through PC-Engine port of Ys 1+2 (everyone argues that it has the best soundtrack anyway)
  • Speaking as someone who loves music, video game soundtracks--even the best of them--are rarely good enough to actually factor into my enjoyment of the game.

"Back to The Fire" is a neat song though.

• If you're a TRUE and HONEST hardcore gamer, you'll play through PC-Engine port of Ys 1+2 (everyone argues that it has the best soundtrack anyway)

If your are a TRUE and HONEST gamer, you're still waiting for Christian Weston ChandlerTM 's Adult ChroniclesR

Speaking as someone who loves music, video game soundtracks--even the best of them--are rarely good enough to actually factor into my enjoyment of the game.

• Okay fine, my decision on whether or not to purchase it.

99% of the time I can't even hear the music anyway, since I live in a very loud household.

• I always play games with the sound off and supply my own music.

I spent my entire first Chrono Trigger playthrough with this on loop:

I always play games with the sound off and supply my own music.

Let me get this straight:

You played through a game which is considered to be, by a world-wide poll,  to place in the top 5 of the games with the most beloved music ever... listening to REM?  Don't get me wrong, REM is great but 

I pretty much always play video games with the music on. Rarely has a game had such terrible music that I had to mute it entirely.
    Fuck you I never played that game you whore
  • Fuck you I never played that game you whore

I AM NOT A WHORE. 8<
    I'd like to point out Devil World for those of you who are unfamiliar with it.