SHIFT+UP! Games (Area Flat, Lock-on, etc.)

edited 2012-07-31 21:08:56 in General Media

So, Area Flat. This series of Java games was always a favorite of mine as a child, and I still adore them, think Galaga with origami-inspired graphics and you're on the right track. It's a pretty low-tech game.

It's pretty old, but I actually managed to find a working embed of the third game in the series (my personal favorite because LASERBEAMS), it's not terribly hard, it's pretty easy, even. But it's awesome, and it's not a long game, so I heartily recommend sinking some time into it.

as a note, this particular embed does not seem to have any sound, sadly.

edit: Turned this into a general SHIFT+UP thread after finding out that their website is still functional. These are some glorious tidbits of web history here.

Comments

• oh, unfortunately it seems that the scoreboard is no longer being maintained. As you get an error when you try to put in your name and the link to the Top 100 page doesn't lead anywhere.
  • edited 2012-07-31 20:53:50
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    My first attempt didn't go so well, but I made it through most of the third stage.

It took a little while for it to click with me that the thin multi-lasers that I thought were a weapon powerup were instead what happens when your laser runs out of energy. I actually kind of liked them. They seem to have a wider spread than the normal laser.
  • That's the gatling gun (it's the only weapon available in the first two games). It does have a wider spread if you don't power up the laser enough (you'll want to grab the floating purplish blocks with the letter P on them to do that, it'll make the laser wider) but it's less powerful overall and near-useless against the bosses.

Also it's mostly just easy because of how generous they are with the lives (4 per credit, 4 credits total, I think).

• Oh hey, I found the other two games. Apparently SHIFTUP!'s website still works.

There are some true forgotten classics on here.

I see that Lock-on still has the best description of any game ever.

Please wait for a while until a screen showed. (If a title screen showed, you may cut a network.)
    Fancy characters which appear one after another will be locked when gun sight fit.
    All locked characters will be hit at a time when a beam is fired.
    It is a high score when many characters are hit at a time.
  • oh shit, I wonder if the PvP function on Bermuda still works.

We could totally play against each other you guys.

• SO HEY THREAD NECRO

it was recently pointed out to me on IJBM2 that these guys have a new site, which has some more recent games on them.

They're alright, and Mizuki Magic Machine is hilariously trippy, even if I cannot figure out what dafuq is going on. I recommend it.

• Temikuro seems to be a puzzle game about getting a little Jewish girl to stand on a Star of David.

lolwhat?

• edited 2012-11-11 21:07:31
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Funny you should bring this back up. Today after noticing that this thread's IJBM2 equivalent was necroed, I played "Pajama Quest" from the old site. It is even more of a glorious fountain of Engrish than the rest of the site since it's an RPG (which is grouped with racing games for some reason).

Deveson spelles Fire! Gator suffers 7 damage!
    Fairy: I go to leave now because I am tired. Bye-bye.
  • You certainly were attacked by monster

"travele"

this is just great