A statement on the theory of friendship-magic equivilance.

edited 2012-07-20 16:16:26 in General
Why friendship is magic:

Some of you may claim that since nopony on the show claims that "Friendship Is Magic", then friendship actually isn't magic. The closest the show comes to it is in Episode 2:

"...and I knew it was you who had the magic inside to defeat her, but you could not unleash it until you let true friendship into your heart"

"She must continue to study the magic of friendship, from her new home in Ponyville" -Princess Celestia S1, Ep2

You could argue that "magic of friendship" only proves that friendship is a subset of magic. You could also argue that since "Italian bread" also means "bread of Italy", and the same applies here. However, whether "magic of friendship" means "friendship is magic" is irrelevant.  Absence of evidence does not constitute evidence of absence. Likewise, ignoring the subtitle of the entire series deliberately excludes evidence vital to assessing the thesis of "Friendship isn't Magic" and therefore diminishes its validity.

Consider, if you will, that nopony explicitly claims Princess Celestia is an alicorn in the show itself. That doesn't mean she isn't one. What's more, we know through such authoritative sources as Sabrina Alberghetti that the production staff refers to her and Luna as alicorns. As those who make the show, they bear the official authority of indisputable canon.

All the more so in the case of "Friendship is Magic".

We know that this subtitle was bestowed upon the series by none other than than the Creator herself, Lauren Faust. It would be no less than a sin to suggest the Goddess and Mother of All Ponies did not speak sooth when naming the show.

Ergo, forthwith, heretofore and in accordance with the established legal doctrines of ipse dixit, ipso facto,we can confidently assert that Friendship is indeed Magic, stands as such under Equestrian law, and that declaring otherwise violates said law.
Tagged:

Comments

• "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    "We know that this subtitle was bestowed upon the series by none other than than the Creator herself, Lauren Faust."

She's not God! She's just a wizard working with the devil.
  • I am highly offended that your statement does not involve Nanoha in any way.
  • edited 2012-07-21 11:18:15
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    "She's not God!"

She's at least an Alicorn, not sure if that necessarily means a "god" or if she's be a creator deity of sorts via cannon...

Of course, it's difficult to say if every Alicorn is suppose to be treated like divine royalty. While a Princess, Cadence doesn't seem to be as revered as Celestia. We also have non-Alicorn royalty like Prince Blue Blood which others seem to more or less just treat as another member of the pony aristocracy (assuming, the high class ponies even qualify, they {with the exception of Celestia and Luna} don't seem to rule over much).