i don't understand the thought process behind this

edited 2012-06-30 04:42:53 in General
It's kinda hard to see, because this wasn't the intended focus of the picture, but look at the thermostat on the post in the middle of the aisle:

Instead of being behind a plastic cover, it's behind a metal grate. A metal grate widely spaced enough to easily fit your fingers through and press the buttons.

I...seriously don't get that. Yes, it's clear that you're not supposed to mess with the thermostat, but it doesn't actually stop you from doing so. And a metal grate can't help but be more expensive than a bit of plastic, so who decided that having a psychological barrier was so much better than providing a physical barrier?

Also, why am I thinking about this several months after I took the picture?

Comments

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    That aisle layout is bugging me. :|
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    What's also bugging me is that every other step, you're looking at a bright yellow sign that tells you how cheap everything is. It's a little unnecessary, don't you think?

What store is this from?
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    Value so shocking, children and the faint of heart are not permitted
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    ^^Valu King, Giant Eagle's intentionally-cheaper-looking chain of stores.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    I'll tell you what I miss, and that's Aldi's. You can walk in there with 40 bucks and walk out with enough food for a month. Minus 25 cents for the luxury of a shopping cart of course.

Oh, and the very first drawing tablet I ever purchased was at an Aldi's. I couldn't afford a Wacom at the time and I walk in and and for sale: a USB drawing tablet. It was shit and I eventually threw it away but Aldi's had surprising things like that all the time. 
  • edited 2012-06-30 12:18:34

Aldis is great, got one down the block.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Well...I finally figured out what store this strip took place at:

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Oh man, and I thought Bottom Dollar's "PIC-PAC circa 1986" orange-madness look was chintzy. :P At least they have nice wiiiiiiide aisles there; this store just looks like a dollar store.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Alright, enough people have commented on the strangeness of Valu King that I have to show more of it.

Note the store is built into half of a former Big Bear Plus.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    That refrigerated section is okay looking, but...everything is so smooooshed together! :( Then again, at least it's not an upside-down mess like the Rose's in Ocean City. Or like, well, pretty much any Kmart these days.

"Valu King" dtrmind that you gt mor valu if thy arn't wasting mony on xcs lttrs.
  • My dad worked at an Aldi when I was a wee lad. Our family still shops there for more or less every grocery item we need (except Nutella; they don't have it).

Also, they're probably the only chain of stores I can proudly say makes delicious frozen pizza (though you really put it in the fridge so I dunno if it counts). Seriously, their pizza's amazing.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Roses, eh? We have one of those in Whitehall, also in a former Big Bear Plus.
    Roses, Whitehall, Ohio
    Even when everything's organized well, the way the place is set up makes it feel like a mess:

• edited 2012-07-01 17:24:29
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Holy jeez, it looks like people shouldn't even be able to fit between the aisles. Also, I can't say I like their signs' color scheme much better than Valu King's. The blue and the red seem to go together awkwardly somehow.

I really want to go to an Aldi's sometime. Unfortunately, I don't live too close to any of their locations.
  • Every time I go into a store that constantly brags about it's "prices and values," so to speak,  I feel uncomfortable.

For some reason.

Uncomfortable enough to make a scene that requires managers and police?
  • No, just like a "Am I being indoctrinated or being sent subliminal messages" type of uncomfortable.
  • edited 2012-07-01 21:17:49
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    AHAHAHA omfg
  • ^ ^ Subliminal?