edited 2012-06-30 01:11:36 in General Media
Seeing as how its sequel The Legend of Korra is popular and has brought resurgent interest in this show, I figured it ought to have a thread as well.

Comments

• My little brothers watch this. I've caught bits and pieces of it.

Is the little waterbender girl also Korra? They look similar.

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    No, she's Katara. Katara is also in The Legend of Korra, but that series takes place about 70 years after this one and she is aged up accordingly.
    So I just finished my re-watch of it, having also watched a bunch of episodes I missed in 2007 and 2008.

"Sozin's Comet"...god damn, this is how you end a story right here!
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Yeah, this is why I wish they planned Korra out to have multiple seasons, the build up to the end was perfect and everything was just incredible. 
  • I'm kind of amazed they thought Nick would let it be a miniseries.

Hahahahahaha, nope.
  • edited 2012-07-01 02:52:58
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I find myself wondering what Book Two of Korra is gonna be about...I like that show but it suffers from weird pacing.

I haven't re-watched any of that yet, you said something about the pro-bending and love triangle taking up too much of the story early on.
  • edited 2012-07-01 02:53:28
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I started binging A:TLA a while ago but put it on hold for now, as Mother may be subscribing to Netflix soon and I'd rather just watch it on there.

^ I think a lot of the show's pacing issues stem from the fact that it was originally planned as a single season. They had to try to fit a LOT into that and some things worked better than others.
  • edited 2012-07-01 09:50:04
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

So, favorite characters?

Mine are:

Sokka,
    Iroh,
    Zuko (great character development and voiced by Dante Basco),
    Toph

Appa gets an honorable mention just because it's so fun to watch the occasional fight be disrupted by an angry, multi-tonne air-bison that proceeds to break face. 
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    All the old masters, definitely.

Foremost among them Iroh and Pian Dao.

I am naturally a huge wuxia nerd.

man that's cool

Iroh's a badass
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I never liked Katara all that much.

I guess I just don't really like those characters who are the glue that binds a group together, who keep other characters sane and good, who are the moral center of a group.

I prefer to see people struggle with their own morality, and have conflicts without a peacemaker to cool everybody down and resolve tensions, and I like seeing people-who-don't-get-along-and-get-on-each-other's-nerves become friends through experiences.

Then again, Katara was always good for disrupting angst and preventing drama from taking over the show; and I'm glad that we were able to get the plot we did; which had a good balance of character interaction and just action/plot/what-have-you.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Toph and Iroh are pretty much the best characters ever

Though Sokka is a good runner up
  • edited 2013-05-25 23:34:18
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Thanks to that photo it's my new head cannon that Iroh used fire bending to break open his cell, take out a few guards then let the eclipse remove the fire-bending capability oh the rest and himself. He was then easily able to beat the befuddled guards into submission with his huge muscles.

I'm reading the Avatar: The Last Airbender comics. I actually have a graphic novel with all the short comics, though the ones that take place after the show ended are more interesting and are nicely filling in many of the gaps between TLA and TLoK.

Biggest surprise is that Longshot and Smellerbee appear to have survived, though Jet is still nowhere to be seen.

Also nice: Character development is still ongoing. 
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

Toph and Iroh are pretty much the best characters ever

Though Sokka is a good runner up
    This.

Also, the cabbage vendor cannot be denied.

He DID somehow create the second largest industrial company with a cart of cabbages that got destroyed over and over again.

If that's not a rag to riches story, I don't know WHAT is.

• ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    He mastered the art of Cabbage Bending!  He can create cabbage carts and cabbages out of nothing!  Long live Cabbage Man!
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    ...isn't Jet dead?

I think that's basically word of God. I'm just surprised Smellerbee and Longshot are alive.

I just finished reading part 1 of "The Search".

Holy

Fucking

Balls

• Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    bump
  • It was all but stated that Jet was dead...
    It was really unclear though :P