It's Mother-Fucking Booze Time

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    That's repulsive on numerous levels.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    You know, they're not too bad provided one is OK with the various weird flavored vodkas.

That being said, I wouldn't make a habit of making them or ordering them at a bar unless it was specifically on the drinks menu or some-such.  

thedrunkenmoogle:

Blue and Red Materia Cocktails from Artnia

Last December, Square Enix opened up a cafe in Japan called Artnia. Among the many themed foods and drinks are cocktails base on Final Fantasy VII’s materia. Each drink contains a mixture of gin and lime juice along with an ingredient frozen into a sphere to represent the magical crystals. Blue materia is frozen blue curacao and red materia is frozen creme de cassis.

Pictures and description from the Artnia website.

So erm...

I think I might just need to purchase one of these.

• Tried Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. I think I've found my beer of choice. Everything I love about ales with that nice bourbon flavor that I love so much.
  • edited 2013-02-26 19:45:25
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    So, mentioned it elsewhere but it's worth bringing up here: Warm junmai sake is really interesting. There are a lot of thick woody notes and odd little details in the flavour, and it smells wonderful. It also tastes better the more you drink of it—one could joke about why, but it's completely true. It also goes very well with pickled ginger.
    Scorpions freak me out a little, but there is still this insane part of my brain that sees something like that and screams, "Go for it!"
  • Tried some Blueberry Corn Whiskey today. It's was pretty good.
    I now have a proper ID with which to purchase alcoholic beverages in restaurants. I will use this power well.

And by that, I mean ordering weird apéritifs at random to confuse hapless waiters.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I like drinking beer but I hardly know anything about alcohol. :)

Vodka comparison jamboree:

Russian Standard: Continues to be an excellent mixing Vodka. Just a good all-around, inexpensive Vodka. I always have it around

Imperia: Oh baby, I missed you so much! Still under $25 and soooo smooth! I normally dislike Vodka, but I could sip this all day.

Purity Vodka: Holy Moses! When they mean "Purity" they mean "Purity"! It's just water and alcohol almost, and that's not a bad thing. 

Crystal Skull Vodka: Not bad taste, unique and sharp, but WAY over priced. 
    Time to revive this thread for two dumb reasons:
    - Gruit beer looks really interesting, but I am not sure where I would look to try it out.
    - I am thinking of making tincture of rose and magnolia after seeing a friend of mine infuse vodka with various strange things.
  • - I am thinking of making tincture of rose and magnolia after seeing a friend of mine infuse vodka with various strange things.

That sounds pretty good. I'd be interested to see how it turns out if you try it.

Finally got around to trying El Jimador. Was kind of surprised at the taste, as I didn't expect it to be as earthy as it was. I mean, it's not very earthy in comparison to some smoky Scotchs, but it was still more earthy than I expected. Its a nice after dinner drink, but I still prefer Camarena's taste when it comes to Tequila.

Also, when I have enough of a stable job to have enough surplus cash to be able to drop some decent money into booze, the first thing I'm gonna try to make is Justice's T-Virus recipe. I've been wanting to try that for a long time.

Speaking of the T-virus, this looks pretty good: http://www.thedrunkenmoogle.com/post/571197791/t-virus-antidote-resident-evil-shot
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I wish I could still drink without mental and physical health risks.
  • Miko said:

Medication interactions?

Oh, the twizzler is a good idea!

Course, it requires the drink be clear, so that sort of messes with my idea of making a Tequila equivalent to a Zombie.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Miko said:

I wish I could still drink without ... health risks.

same

i'm not actually sure what the risks are or how severe they are but i'm told i shouldn't for the time being
    spinor said:

Miko said:

Medication interactions?
    *nods*

beer
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    ^ Leigh's favorite is stout.

As is mine. :3
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    ^ You wrestle the he-bear while she wrestles the she-bear?
  • edited 2013-10-03 15:57:04
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

It's Portland. If you can't even take on a brown bear, you're likely to be mauled to death.

"Brown bear, brown bear, what do you see?"

"A hipster drinking a local microbrew! wrestles"

• Whiskey!

I thought I liked Pendleton the first time I had it, but now that I drink about it there's sort of an underlying thinness which isn't quite as satisfying. I'm not that well versed in whiskey, admittedly.

Tangentially related, it's pretty funny how long it took me to remember that bars exist when I realized all the liquor stores were closed but I still felt like having a drink.
    Haven said:

I thought I liked Pendleton the first time I had it, but now that I drink about it there's sort of an underlying thinness which isn't quite as satisfying.

Oh Haven.
  • edited 2013-11-04 03:11:25
    CUNTASAURUS REXXX

• edited 2013-11-04 03:22:19
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I have never had gin, but I would love to try Bombay Sapphire sometime in the future, if only to say that I have ingested something that is, by its nature, blue. Stupid? Sure. But drinking is frequently stupid, and I do not do it often, so why not have fun with it?

On a completely different note, there is sweet wormwood growing wild in my grandmother's driveway where I am currently staying. It makes good tea, and had I the druthers, I could probably concoct some form of vermouth, or even absinthe...

At heart, I really am a mad scientist.
  • My god I want to try absinthe so bad, just to see if it's disappointing or really as great as everyone says. That's probably a stupid reason to try something but who cares.

^^ It's good Gin, though clear outside the bottle. I like Broker's myself. Cheaper and great tasting.

^ There's a lot of not good Absinthe out their. However, Pacifique is quite good.
  • La Fée is the only absinthe.
  • La Fée, any decent red wines, plus these, is all you need.

• also Real Cider, but it's not like you can get that in america, maybe there is somewhere that imports Westons idk

I really want to try the tea liquor, grass vodka, and scotch.

I'll have to keep an eye out next time I'm at the liquor store.
  • Currently drinking whipped cherry vodka and chocolate milk, a surprisingly good combination.
    ^^ Buffalo grass is actually a proper herb used in a lot of Central and Eastern European liquors, foods and herbal medicines, if I am not mistaken.

Speaking of herbal medicines, I decided to undertake my first tincture/infusion experiment using Irish whiskey and various fever-reducing herbs growing around my house, with the intent of giving the results as a sardonic gift to one of my friends--a like a hot toddy without the tea.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

^^ Buffalo grass is actually a proper herb used in a lot of Central and Eastern European liquors, foods and herbal medicines, if I am not mistaken.

Speaking of herbal medicines, I decided to undertake my first tincture/infusion experiment using Irish whiskey and various fever-reducing herbs growing around my house, with the intent of giving the results as a sardonic gift to one of my friends--a like a hot toddy without the tea.
    Hierochloe odorata (not to be confused with Anthoxanthum odoratum, the other buffalo/holy grass) is actually pretty common in America too, being used a lot by native tribespeople. It's mainly used for distilled alcohol in Europe though. (Although IIRC the French used to flavour confectionery and (non-alcoholic) drinks with it, as well as use it in perfume/tobacco). 
  • Finally got around to trying Bird Bog's Blackberry Whiskey. I was pleasant surprised how strong the BlackBerry flavor is in the whiskey. With the exception of cinnamon whiskeys, I've never gotten a flavored whiskey where the taste of the flavoring is all that strong, in comparison to Bird Dog.

Bird Dog is pretty decent.
  • Yeah it is. Bulleit Rye is still my favorite overall whiskey (with regular Bulleit Bourbon being a close second), especially when mixed with Red Rock Ginger ale and a slice of lime in it.
  • Trying out Christian Brothers brandy. It's pretty good, especially on a day like today--smooth, but strong. I should probably mix it with something but I can't figure out what.

Water.

Brandy, you're a fine girl. What a fine wife you would be. But my life, my love, and my lady is the sea.

• Haven said:

Trying out Christian Brothers brandy. It's pretty good, especially on a day like today--smooth, but strong. I should probably mix it with something but I can't figure out what.

I've only had their Honey Brandy, which I like a lot. I've found it mixes well with Goldschlager, any amaretto liqueur and some ginger ale.
    belgium is cool place, they have the best beer, and chocolate, and euthanasia for children.
  • also yup that is some cherry beer right there.
  • fuck regular beer. drink witbier and lambic everyday

Lambic is awesome stuff.
  • Got a bottle of Appleton White Rum. Good stuff, there's enough sweetness, but it still has a kick to it.