House numbers painted on the curbs

edited 2012-06-15 21:31:26 in General
You ever notice that some neighborhoods have them and others don't?

The ones that do seem to vary by color, too. Ours are white numerals on green rectangles, but I've seen black numbers on white and white numbers on black as well. But they always seem to be more or less uniform within a neighborhood, aside from a few where the homeowners have obviously painted their own. (One house around here has an OSU Buckeyes logo next to the numbers, even, which isn't part of the standard ones we get.)

...Why do I even pay attention to this stuff?

Comments

• I quite honestly don't think I've ever seen these.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I think I have. Quite tacky.
  • I have, and I think they're kinda useful when you want to find a house, but a much better idea would be to have the numbers visibly on every mailbox.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    They're more common the further west in America you go. They're absolutely common here in West Texas. 
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

They're more common the further west in America you go. They're absolutely common here in West Texas. 

I'm not sure that equation holds as I'm about as far west as you can get, and they're not all the common here.

But I have seen them.

Also, Portland, so maybe we're not doing it because DAMN THE MAN!

...Though I wouldn't say they're common in Yakima, Washington or Seattle, either...
  • edited 2012-06-15 22:38:54
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    They don't have many of these in Atlanta, as far as I know. I don't remember seeing any at all.

Now I'm kind of curious to see what exactly it looks like, even though I can kinda picture it in my head.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    @GMH: I don't think I've ever actually found someone's house based on the curb numbers, honestly. Usually it's the numbers on the mailbox I notice first so I agree with you there.

Of course, that assumes the neighborhood has curbside mailboxes instead of the mailbox mounted by the door.

@Gator: Here's a photo I found from a Dispatch article about the numbers:

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
  • edited 2012-06-15 22:52:45
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Now that I look at it, I have seen a few before, sometimes in other cities, but I never realized they were supposed to be house numbers. I always assumed they were road numbers, mile markers, or for some strange reason, storm drain numbers.

I have to agree that the mailbox is a much better place to put the numbers, though I'm fine with putting it on the front door on houses that are closer to the street.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Having the numbers only on the curb would be a bad idea, at least here in the midwest, because they're obscured by snow a not-insignificant portion of the year.

Most of the houses in this neighborhood were built with numbers above the garage or, in the case of this house, above the front door, so having them curb-side is just to supplement the existing numbers.

Oddly enough, ours gets repainted every year or two even though AFAIK nobody in this house has ever paid for it. I guess the homeowners' association picks up the tab?
  • edited 2012-06-15 23:32:53
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I think I've seen some, also stenciled, but not like the picture above (which called to mind the DIN-like Housebroken; perhaps the house numbers and that typeface have similar origins).
  • Yeah they don't have them where I live in Cali honestly. You can get them done, but no one ever does.
  • I'm just here to gay the place up

I have seen them on shows and stuff but we have never had that here

Funny, I guess these aren't nearly as universal as I had assumed they were.

Now I find it strange that they're as common as they are around here--it makes sense that they'd be common in West Texas, but here in Ohio they're covered by snow pretty much all winter...
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    I've never seen House numbers painted on Kerbs in the UK either
  • Yeah they're probably more common in places with huge yards. I mean if it's 10 feet to the house you'd hope you could just see them.
  • So how fast in a suburban area do you have to be driving in order for giant house numbers printed on curbs to be truly useful exactly?
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Do American houses have their house numbers anywhere near their front door?
  • edited 2012-06-17 15:35:42
    Sometimes they have them on the front door, and other times they'll have them on the wall next to the door. But a lot of the time, they'll be somewhere on the mailbox outside.
  • edited 2012-06-17 15:35:50
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Most houses in the U.S. have house numbers somewhere on the building, usually near the front door.  (This is for houses.  Multi-unit apartment buildings may vary.)

Many houses also have house numbers on their mailboxes (if they have mailboxes).
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Is anyone familiar with the style of house numbers that the Bayside typeface is modeled on? My house has them.
    My house has them as well...though a digit fell down and I need to nail it back up as soon as I can find the hammer.

They seem to be among the most common styles of house numbers, at least around here.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Pretty sure my house uses them, as well.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.