City of Heroes

edited 2012-06-13 21:51:30 in General Media

This is a thread about City of Heroes, which is a pretty cool game.

I just started and already have two characters (Helios the Sun-God and EPSILON-4). Has anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    When I played I'm pretty sure I had like 5 characters under level 10.

So yes. It's rather common.
  • did anyone else use all of the skulls?

no? just me. Okay.

• i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    we should totally all do the thing where we go on the same server u guise
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Honestly, I'm kind of tempted to join you in trying out this game, Lazuli. I'm a little nervous, though. It's been a while since I've been on an MMO.

I might sign up tomorrow. 11:00 at night is not the best time to be trying new games if you're a strange diurnal creature like me.
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind

is there some problem with that? :|

with the skulls or the being on the same server
  • the server.

Honestly, I'm kind of tempted to join you in trying out this game, Lazuli. I'm a little nervous, though. It's been a while since I've been on an MMO.

I was only ever on one before this. So I know how you feel.

• Something I noticed is that there seems to be a fuckton of Catgirls.

I saw somewhere around 10 or so, and I was only online for a half hour after finishing the tutorial.

• I'm interested in this, but wary, where would I start?
  • Well first, you should download the game.

It's Freemium. Most of the game is free, but there's a bunch of Premium stuff you have to pay for. However, I bought none of the pay features and still found my half-hour or so of play quite enjoyable.

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    So apparently character slots are server-specific. If we want to get together sometime, we should probably agree on a server to keep our characters on.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I use the Virtue server, because I am not a munchkin.

But Red-mage was my favorite sociopath.
  • Lumine said:

I like Black Mage but I still think Red Mage is funny. :]

Black mage was awesome in the way that his recklessness always got foiled, Red-mage was funny in the sense that his recklessness never makes sense.
  • "We are about to witness an inverse relationship between the number
    of stab wounds I inflict and the number of answers you start giving me." --Black Mage

I meant like a min-maxer.

I meant like a min-maxer.
    I know :<, But everytime someone mentions a munchkin, I am fondly reminded of my favorite sociopath.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Black Mage was my favorite, but Red Mage is best min-maxer.
  • This thread is not about Order of the Stick.

Anyway, so I ran through parts of the Hellion quest today and I have to say, this city is just infested with gang members randomly beating the shit out of passers-by.

It's horrible, but also a teensy bit funny.

• edited 2012-06-14 18:42:13
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Well normally, but I'd prefer it if the media threads stayed mostly on topic. :=

Of course I have a vested interest here since I care about CoH and not 8Bit Theatre.

• rhis city is just infested with gang members randomly beating the shit out of passers-by.

It's horrible, but also a teensy bit funny.

You think they'd rob a place other than the "City of HEROES"
  • well technically the area you start out in after the tutorial is called Atlas Park.

But still.

I mean

who goes up to a guy emitting a cloud of black smoke wearing metallic skull armor, and decides to just pull out a nine and start shooting him? It just seems like a bad move.

• I always liked how the Circle of Thorns would just carry out human sacrifices in broad daylight.
  • I haven't gotten nearly that far yet.

Yeah if any of you guys want to team up that's cool. I'm only level four right now so it should only take you about an hour or two to catch up.

• edited 2012-06-14 19:20:10
    i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind

i have a level six character

but he's eeeeeeevil

so it might be a bit hard to team up

Derailments are usually OK in the Media section, slightly less tolerated in the Talk section. Kinda depends how long they go. Though, we have like a page or more derail going on in the MLP:FiM thread.

Anyhow. My brother and some friends picked this up back when it first came out.

Some of the Superheros people cooked up where hilarious, like "Communist Santa".

Now, I know what you're all wondering, "Does Justice know any web-comics from CoH that he can spam the thread with?"

imageimageimageimageimage
  • I only understand the reference in the last one (there is a thing that sets you on fire but paradoxically heals you also, apparently)

The other ones are mostly just having fun with their City of Villains characters, I guess they're not directly about the game other than that.

Though the Penny Arcade one is definitely directly addressing the game, but considering the game came out in 2004, I'd imagine the issue has long since been resolved. 
  • Yep, game's pretty old.

anyway, I wonder if Gator and Tre ever got around to signing up.

• edited 2012-06-14 19:57:25
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I did. I've mostly made a character, but oddly, I'm having trouble thinking of a good name, battle cry, and character description.

In case anyone's curious, it's a weird bespectacled sweater-clad guy with a (vaguely) bronze-colored assault rifle and energy control.
  • which is the primary and which is the secondary?

If the rifle's the main thing, how about Dr. Gatling?

Or better yet, Gatman.

Also battle-cries are optional and are only said if you press a specific key. Helios doesn't have one, since I imagine him as more of a "makes threats to the bad guys while fighting if he talks" kind of hero. Even if he is a big softie when not in combat.

• edited 2012-06-14 20:03:36
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    The rifle's the main thing, yeah. There doesn't seem to be an option to make firearms a secondary power.

I'm wondering if a reference to the bronze color of the gun could work.

Ah, good. If a battle cry isn't necessary, then I'll be fine doing without.
  • The Bronze Blaster?

I could look up synonyms for "Bronze" if you want.

• oh as a note, if you pick anything that starts with "The" as a name, leave out the "The", there's an option somewhere near the end of the character creation process to have your character addressed as "The"-whatever.
    Going on a similar line of thought, "Bronze Burst" could work with his energy attack. I'll use that. Thanks, Lazuli!

Now all that's left is character description. I'll be honest, I'd like it to look like I put some effort into it, but I haven't thought much about it yet. :|
  • Helios also does not have a character description.

I left it blank because I'm pretty sure you can change it later, but don't quote me on that.

Oh, okay. Since the official website also says it's optional, I'll let it slide for now. Time to get started!

Map failed to load. The server is busy. Please try again later.

:|
  • :| indeed

I didn't have that problem when I logged in earlier today.

You're on the Virtue server, right?

• edited 2012-06-14 20:27:06
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I have a character named Detective Skull.

Been a while since I've played, though.

TOR takes my video game time now.
  • is Detective Skull

a Detective

wearing a skull mask

• edited 2012-06-14 20:32:34
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    It's not an item.

But I did try to make his head look as much like a skull as possible, which you can do with creative applications of masks, glasses, and face-paint.

And a fedora.
  • I could've sworn I saw a skull mask, maybe not.

And a fedora.

fedora fedora fedora fedora
    I saw skull shoulder pads and skull-looking face paint, but nothing I would really consider a skull mask.

And yeah, I'm on the Virtue server. I'm pretty sure the server capacity was moderate just a little bit earlier, so I'm not sure why this is happening. Plus, you'd think there would be a little wait time before such an error message would pop up, but it comes up immediately after I press the button. Blargh.
  • That's weird. :/

Maybe the server's down.

• Kay, so Win7 and Xubuntu are both working on my laptop but the video card is still MIA right now in Windows so I can't even get Minecraft running yet (so I doubt that this'll run either).

In time, though, I shall find it. S'just a matter of finding the right drivers.