ITT: Endangered Species

Comments

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    The closest one to me has a "Store Closing: This Location Only" sign on it.

I don't really go even to grab blu-rays on the cheap. They tend to overprice, still.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Of the two nearest my house, one closed about two months ago, and the other switched to operating as a "Blockbuster Outlet" for a while before just shutting down outright last year.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I don't even remember where the nearest open Blockbuster is anymore. There's several Blockbuster Express kiosks around, though not nearly as many as there are Redboxes.

And there's a little hole-in-the-wall dollar-DVD place in a shopping center on the west end of the Potomac Mills area, next to where Bloom used to be. I wonder how much business they do.
  • I was about to wonder how many people are squatting in closed Blockbusters.Then I realized they could probably get away with it in the ones that are still open, too.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    In an abstract sense, I like the idea of squatting in an abandoned video store, not so much for living purposes as because the idea of using such a space for, say, music recording or as a strange kind of art gallery appeals to me.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.

Bookstores. Where I live, there are literally no bookstores in the entire county.

Blockbuster can die in a fire for all I care, but this is terrible.

Bookstores. Where I live, there are literally no bookstores in the entire county.

Dafuq
  • The sadness will last forever.
    There's like two Blockbusters left in around where I live.
    Dafuq? Is that some Middle Eastern country I don't know about?
  • Dafuq = Da fuck?
    Then what are you dafucking about, specifically?
  • The concept of no bookstores. I mean, how?
    People either buy books online or don't read because they're too busy commenting on YouTube videos.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Stolen off an images search so watch in awe as this probably fails to embed (I should probably get a camera):

My tutor was talking about what I assume was one of these kiosks this morning, about how back when she was a student she and her friends chose accomodation that was kind of substandard because there was a convenient payphone outside.  This was before everyone had mobiles.  By her description, it was presumably a K8 (she said it was a red Post Office kiosk with a square top; the K8 was by far the most common box to fit that description).

Anyway, after they had moved in and been living there for about two weeks, a BT lorry came along and took it away, and no new payphone was put up in place.  Thought that was pretty unfortunate going.
    I haven't seen a payphone in years.
    :(

Also, there is a Blockbuster not too far from where I grew up.  Not sure how successful it is now, especially not since there's also a cinema there now, but I think places like that probably fare better in small country towns where there's not all that much to do.
    I'm not even sure where there's a payphone around here. I haven't seen an actual phone booth in a long time.
    What does Clark Kent do? :(
  • edited 2012-05-22 11:54:05
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    He used a revolving door in the first movie. Even in 1978, phone booths were going away!
    Well, when Superman comics first came out in the 1930s, American phone booths were basically outdoor versions of the wooden silence cabinets you used to get in hotels.  By the 1950s they had mostly been supplanted by models with extensive glass windows that were cheaper to produce, but obviously impractical for changing costumes in secret. :p

Mind you, I can't see a revolving door being any better in that respect...
  • there's a line of payphones near the town hall. They're graffiti'd up and I don't think they work anymore.

I named an album after them.

^ Incidentally, that's probably more to the point of why Superman wouldn't use a phone booth in the movie.  Those kinds without booths were brought in because they provide better disabled access, and are less prone to abuse by drug addicts.  Not so great if it rains, though.
  • edited 2012-05-22 14:09:39
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

That's...hard to even imagine, honestly.
    Of course, I can skip over the county line (about 10 miles north) and find a Barnes & Noble but still...
    Yeah, in the movie, he did look for a phone booth, but saw this instead:

Hell, you can't even find those anymore...
  • edited 2012-05-22 15:58:41
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I think what Superman would often do in the Louis and Clark series is walk into an empty room as Clark and walk out as Superman.

He eventully figured out he could spin really fast while changing, though I'd imagine he'd still need to do this when no one was looking.
  • edited 2012-05-22 19:07:56
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    CA: The Metro stations here still have similar phone booths (or at least Pentagon City does), but then, that's probably because they're co-located with the ticket machines and so they can't really be removed.

Oh, and in Superman II, I think, he actually changed while running. Seriously.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Never mind the phone booth, where did he find that hat in 1978?
  • Haberdasher's.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    More retro than a hipster! Faster than a speeding bullet! He is the Haberdasher!
  • I'd read that comic.