The Legend of Korra

edited 2012-05-20 04:23:48 in General Media
The Legend of Korra really deserves its own thread, but I'll talk about it here. 

Man, the last two episodes have been like Act 5 of Homestuck all over again. From bad to worse, I mean.

I'll take the case make the thread!

Keep spoiler tags handy as I am 10 minutes into episode 1, but it is just gorgeous! And, it's just so good to have new Avatar episodes to watch.

I'm liking Korra, too! I rather think I'll enjoy watching her be the star of this show,,,

Provided they don't kill her and introduce a new avatar just like that, but that seems rather trolly for Nickelodeon.  

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    IT REALLY IS ANOTHER HOMESTUCK

Let's see how long it takes for me to snap and binge the whole thing just in time for the fad to pass
  • edited 2012-05-20 05:55:50
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    "You...live in that bush?"

"Yes! Presently that is what I do call home. Took me a while to procure a bush that beauteous!"

OK, somehow the writing has improved in the several years hiatus. 

Also, the liveblogesquapades wiil cease as Friday is still up and I've convinced her to watch some.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    It's actually quite good so far, and I really dig the art style....lots of watercolors.
  • w/r/t the latest episode.
    Provided they don't kill her and introduce a new avatar just like that, but that seems rather trolly for Nickelodeon.  
    They would have had to change the name, though...
  • edited 2012-05-21 17:43:04

We just finished off episode 6.

I like all the flashback stuff they're teasing. 

Hopefully they'll make it pertinent as to the plot and Korra can learn some stuff that happened between now and the end of the first series. 
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Pabu looks like a Red Panda.

Looks like we have another animal that's a direct copy of a real one and not a mishmash of two real animals.
  • Before tumblr brought that creature to my attention, I assumed Pabu was just supposed to be a ferret crossed with fire somehow, in the same way Appa is a bison crossed with...flying.

If Pabu could firebend, even as some sort of natural ability, that certainly would be interesting...
  • He's actually a dragonferret, but you can't see the scales under his fur.

Some D&D Wizard must have made one of those at some point...

The red panda has been confused with other animals

DUN-DUN-DUN!
  • I had no idea. I thought he was a raccoon and some other animal.

No episode this Saturday due to the holiday. Korra will be back with episode 8 (?) on June 2nd.

I love the dialogue in this show.
  • TUMUT CREW REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tumut
    Darn. I love this show (aside from the fifth episode).
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    According to some, pandas have more in common with raccoons than with bears.
  • edited 2012-05-25 21:20:51
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Red pandas do, hence the raccoon-like appearance.  Giant pandas are in fact bears; the two panda species aren't as closely related as was previously believed.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    So I'm, like, caught up now. Yay!

So is Friday and I! Yay!

We can talk about all KINDS of shit.

Not really surprised that SOMEONE out of the Sato camp turned out to be evil, or at least not on the side of the protagonist.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Me three!
  • We can talk about all KINDS of shit.
    I don't think that our shit is that interesting. We flush it out for a reason, man

Toilets is just modern man's way of water bending! 

Re-watching Avatar: The Last Air Bender has reminded me that "the avatar state" is a thing, and one day Korra will do it, and it will be beautiful poetry in motion.

Beautiful poetry that consumes everything its path as if the elements themselves hate you and want you to die.

It will be glorious.
    I remember that while watching The Legend of Korra there was one point where I thought she was going to enter the Avatar State, but she didn't. Seemed too early for it, anyway.

Well, Aang was IN the Avatar state when we meet him and I think went into it at the end of episode 2.

Korra could have definitely benefited from it when she was face to mask with Amon.

But maybe being scared out of her wits prevented it, or it wouldn't have triggered unless Amon really meant to take her powers.

I noticed, weather it's bravery or naivety, Aang just plain isn't afraid of things as much as Korra. He gets just sort of crazy determined, and I think that helps him tap into the Avatar state. Hopefully, Korra will get to talk to a statue/spirit and we'll get to see some juicy flash-backs and watch her turn into a dynamo of avatar strength. 

Heh. Maybe the felt like have more complex relationships with the older characters. They didn't get to mess with love too much in the other series aside from the odd thing or two with Sokka and also Aang and Katara.
  • I can't wait to see an adult Ang in spirit form to guide Koora.  Also, I think the next avatar should be a giant earth-bending mole.  That would be short-lived interesting...
  • edited 2012-06-02 16:03:49
    Let me tell you. About Fallen London.
    Today's episode...damn. 

I felt bad for the air acolytes having to carry all of Asami's stuff; something about that chase scene seemed nonsensical to me (I can't quite place it--maybe the fact that a jailbreak happened as soon as they went "patrolling", or maybe it's because they actually succeeded at something), but it was still awesome; I'm betting the next generation's protest movement is going to have a lot of overlap with people who are watching this show as kids now; but most of all holy crap Tarlok. I was just expecting him to say Korra attacked him and get her arrested for assault and busting up the council building, but then...if her name wasn't in the show's title and this wasn't Nickelodeon I'd be expecting her corpse to wash up on Air Temple Island next episode.
    I think Korra can't get into the avatar state because of her being terrible at spiritual stuff. I mean Aang was a monk, so of course he'd have spiritual stuff down-packed.

Though, I wonder if they'll swap once MLP:FiM season 3 starts.
    Just watched the latest episode.

I didn't expect them to bring back bloodbending.
  • @Claus' link: whoa.
    That episode was awesome. They took it a much darker direction than I'd initially expected.
  • Yeah. If it wasn't Nick and her name wasn't in the title, I wouldn't expect Korra to make it out of this.
    This last one was amazing.
    I'm catching up. This fucking asshole bloodbender Council member needs to die the same motherfucking way ERIDAN did. >:P
    And now he's lying about what happened. 

I know this isn't a shitposting thread, but fuck it. Office Space time. >:P

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Did... Did it just show Amon being immune to BLOOD BENDING!?

Also, parallels between Amon and Aang drawn and...

Dammit, now those theories that the Avatar split into two, making both Korra and Amon Avatars is starting to sound PLAUSIBLE to me...
    Maybe Amon is just a legit energybender.
  • edited 2012-06-10 00:03:56
    TUMUT CREW REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tumut
    Relevant:

So that Tumblr post about the flashback turned out to be right on. Is its author on the crew or something? :P

Also I found it interesting how they get you to think Amon's in the right this time but then turn around and make you hate him again.
    AU: Same here. I also think there's a SHOCKING TWEEST coming up in the season finale, and I'd love to know what it is.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ The trailer showed Amon doing his Bending Taking Away on Korra

Everybody on Reddit is betting that Korra goes Avatar state and resists Amon's powers before kicking his ass

I'm betting that occurs halfway through the season finale and that he SUCCEEDS, but then Korra meditates in a cell and somehow unlocks her powers again before completely demolishing Amon
  • edited 2012-06-10 01:55:35
    Let me tell you. About Fallen London.
    So that Tumblr post about the flashback turned out to be right on. Is its author on the crew or something? :P
    Well, not exactly. Yakone himself was bloodbending, and Katara wasn't in it--the avatar state apparently makes you immune to bloodbending.  Which, I wouldn't be considering the theory Crmirnauc mentioned if it weren't for that, although the difference is Amon had to struggle to move, Aang was just flat-out immune.

But damn, Korra. escape from Tarlok, the Equalists and Amon on your own, get taken out by a stray root? Talk about transparent excuses for shipping.

Also, Lin metalbending Bolin made me laugh. "Your fly was down."
  • edited 2012-06-10 04:10:43

Friday and I just watched it.

Cudos to Friday for predicting that blood bending would be made illegal.

Honestly though? We though anything that wasn't a flashback or didn't involve Korra directly was the weakest the series has had to offer so far.

Notable exception was the very end: This shipping stuff is getting pretty forced.
    Yeah, I spent more time RAEGing at the smug asshole villain-of-the-week than noticing anything cool Korra did. That's not good -- he stole the entire episode. :P

I actully think Tarrlok deserved at least a two parter here. 

Maybe it's because it's the Korra show, and not the Aang show anymore, but being the son to a threat of a fully realized avatar seems like it's worth more than an hastily thrown together "The EQUALIST did it" ploy that somehow fooled the smartest character in the series and ended with a guy who could LEVITATE the goram AVATAR with blood bending getting Worf Effected by the big-bad.

I'll grant that it was pretty intimidating to see Amon power through the blood bending. And that was worth it, but it would have been nice to feel things weren't as rushed with Team Avatar minus the Avatar.

Partially because Tarrlok has so much more potential, I also feel Tarrlok is far from done. Notice we don't actually SEE Amon take away Tarrlok's power. We just see Amon deal a smack-down and knock out blow. Also, notice that Amon bothered to cart away Tarrlok's unconscious body. He never bothered to do that with any of the other benders, maybe he feels he can use Tarrlok. And, he's already proven that blood bending doesn't work on him will enough to keep him from putting the hurt on Tarrlok.

Tarrlok is probably the highest profile bender he's taken down, but Amon already said he doesn't want martyrs. Tarrlok could certainly serve as that if he took away his bending, he's popular enough in Republic city anyways.

Other things that I hope help this theory rather than serve as bad writing. Amon seems to know a great deal about Tarrlok, he at least knew about Tarrlok's secluded cabin and knew he'd find them there. Either that or he keeps VERY close attention about where the Avatar's friends are going and somehow manages to get there first.

Makes me feel the writers have a lot more in store for Tarrlok than just taking away his insane level of blood-bending in episode 9.
  • Now that I think about it, that could make sense. What's a better way to convince people bending is unnatural, destructive and just plain wrong than bloodbending? It's also a pretty good way to take down other benders--if that's the case, Amon will probably be trying to intimidate Tarlok into doing his bidding by pointing out he's immune to Tarlok's trump card.

I'm still thinking he probably did take away his bending for real, and is just keeping him to have the leverage of a powerful public figure for a hostage or something. Which probably won't be as effective once word gets out that he's a bloodbender, but hey.