WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE (or Castlevania General)

edited 2012-06-15 02:10:41 in General Media
Hello! I see you haff met my handyman. Did you notice somefhing...unusual about him? No? I tought so. 

Velcome to ze Castlevania thread! In zese halls, we shall fill ze dead air with discussions on zis vonderful platformer series! Characters, enemies, bosses, levels, fan-works...anything goes in zis thread! Vould you like some vine? I do not drink it myself, thank you. 

Who am I? Vell, zat is a good question! But before I tell you my name, vhat is yours? 

...Wait, your last name is vhat?

Comments

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    The only Castlevania game I actually own is Portrait of Ruin. But I've sampled a lot of the other games, and I like most of what I've played.

I think the music is one of my favorite parts. I don't even know which song is my favorite.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I've only ever played the first two. Real old-school, me.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Symphony of the Night is fun on a bun.

Though, some items just break it and turn you into a walking demi-god....aapposed to a walking son of a demi-god...
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Yeah, I've heard about the Shield Rod/Alucard Shield trick.

Speaking of equipment, when the game gives you the option to use weapons besides the whip, I like to use spears/lances for some reason.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.

I've played every single one minus the DS games (will get on that), and the original B+W rope-climbing (WTF konami) gameboy games, those are horrible

• edited 2012-05-18 13:10:28
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Yeah, I've heard about the Shield Rod/Alucard Shield trick.

Speaking of equipment, when the game gives you the option to use weapons besides the whip, I like to use spears/lances for some reason.
    Even just picking up some of the swords just mean you destroy everything in a few hits, including end bosses. 

I got the flamberge on a random drop (wasn't even trying to get it) on my first play through. The rest of the game was a breeze...a firey, firey breeze of charred enemies.

Yeah, very easy to break the game.

Still fun considering how huge the game is and how much there is to do.
    Dracula X was, for the longest time, legendary and hard to get a hold of. A friend of mine destroyed a pack of CD-Rs back when CD-Rs were $4 each (for each disc) trying to figure out how to make a copy of the game. I played the hell out of that game.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I'd say Aria of Sorrow is more broken than SotN, personally.
  • Symphony in general is unbalanced, so it isn't so much a question of whether stuff is broken individually.

^^ There are copies of it floating around on the web somewhere, and there are working PCE emulators.  Though a few years back, I remember reading that Konami specifically requested fans to not pirate Rondo in particular because they were going to release a remake.
  • edited 2012-05-18 17:22:59
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I sampled a little bit of the Super Nintendo port of Dracula X once. I thought it was okay. But I kind of agree with the general consensus that the PCE version is the better of the two. The sound quality is better, and you get to see the stages and characters that were cut out of the SNES version.
  • I'd say the sound quality is just different.  It's not better in either version, just different.

The PCE version definitely has more content, though, yes.
    Speaking of Dracula X, I just thought of something weird. How come Richter has short hair and sleeves in the artwork and animated cutscenes, but long hair and a sleeveless shirt in the in-game sprite? I guess they wanted to make him look like Simon so people wouldn't get confused, but still.
  • edited 2012-05-18 17:38:17
  • SNES Dracula X, also known as Dracula XX, also known as Dracula X: Vampire's Kiss, does indeed have branching paths.  They're just less obvious.
    Oh yeah! Shaft was the boss of the branching path on Stage 4, wasn't he? Though that's the only time he appears in that game. But that still means the stages with Iris and Terra were cut out.

Speaking of which, it's kind of funny that in the SNES version, you could use the key that you're supposed to use to free Maria and Annette to attack the bosses.

• There exist stages 4' and 5' in Vampire's Kiss.
  • The series has always kinda looked interesting to me, and I love platformers but for some reason I haven't played Castlevania or Metroid.

I'll probably change that this summer.

The weird thing about Dracula X for SNES is that despite Konami's desire to make it a direct port, they were unable to use the original stage designs for copyright reasons and because of this, they recycled the sprites and game mechanics into a whole different game that behaves like Rondo of Blood but is shorter, has no alternate paths, and does not feature Maria Renard as a playable character. The result is arguably rather inferior to the PCE game. ;]

what

no, this is wrong

Konami wouldn't have to deal with copyright issues. It's their own game, and it wasn't shopped out to another design team as their later games would be

The reason the game is mostly different is entirely intentional, in fact this wasn't the only game where Konami released the same game title for two systems that were almost entirely different (See Rocket Knight Adventures / Sparkster) and they weren't the only ones (Telenet and the Valis Series.) The sprites from Dracula X did get a very long lifetime, being re-used in SotN and beyond.

Oh, and as a matter of coincidence, today I found my Japanese CD album release of the soundtrack for all 3 of the NES games, including the tracks for the US version of Castlevania 2 -- which, as a cart release, had extra space which was used for a drum/instrument track, making the US version of the game the superior one (for once)
    It seems odd to me that they couldn't do a drum track in the Famicom Castlevania II, but they could do that and more in the Famicom Castlevania III.

And that oddly reminds me of "Mad Forest" and "Aquarius." I'd definitely put those on my list of favorite Castlevania songs.

The reason was because Castlevania II was a Famicom Disk system release. When it was ported over to the cartridge medium, it was too big for a 128k cart so they had to go with a 192kb setup which had some space left over, hence the drum/instrument samples. The CD I have here was released in 1990 with the American tracks added on at the end so the Japanese could hear what they were missing.

Of course, in CV III the situation did a 180 and us Americans got the inferior version.

• Mad Forest and Aquarius ARE awesome.

Re Valis: It seems that series has kinda followed Castlevania footsteps repeatedly, for some reason.

Valis I was, well, just a platformer, but it is also one that has at least two vastly different versions covering the same story canonically.  Also, you have a melee weapon and a subweapon, though that subweapon is a magic spell.

Valis II (SD Valis/Syd of Valis) I don't know much about, other than that it was a bit different.

Valis III, like Castlevania III, featured multiple playable characters that you could switch between.

Valis IV is a bit like a hybrid between Super Castlevania IV and Rondo/Dracula X.  First, there's are vastly different SNES and PCE versions.  Second, the SNES version is called Super [series name] IV.  Third, the PCE version has multiple playable characters and voiced cutscenes and stuff while the SNES version does not--the PCE version is generally better-regarded than its SNES port (or non-port).  Fourth, one of the bosses looks like Death, and there are candles/torches on the walls in some levels, and (as is Valis tradition) you have a melee basic weapon and a ranged subweapon.

Unfortunately for the Valis series, it kinda fell off the face of the Earth after this.  Fortunately, Castlevania stuck around.

cybernetic squid:

Konami was planning a port of Dracula X of sorts for the Sega CD, but idea died really quickly.  Konami also showed a lot of love to the PC-Engine by releasing arcade-accurate ports of its older properties to the system, but with no plans to bring any of them stateside -- the TurboCD was failing on the market even though the gaming magazines and public begged them for that one Castlevania release.

So...do you think Simon thinks there are good nights to have a curse?

Maybe some nights just have the right weather for a curse...

The cover of issue #2 of Nintendo Power prompted telephone complaints from parents, who claimed it scared their children.

Ahhh, the good ol' days.

I love how one of the feature articles on that cover is Bionic Commando, the game whose ending featured Hitler's graphically exploding face. How fitting.

I actually owned that issue at one point. It didn't scare me at all, I just thought it was a little weird.
    Yeah, it's not exactly nightmare-inducing. I do have to wonder why Simon's wearing a helmet, though. It makes him look like an Imperial Stormtrooper.
    Nintendo Power tended to have a lot of...odd-looking covers in the early days. The clay Mario on #1, the "I am too totally a ninja!" Ninja Gaiden on #5...
  • edited 2012-05-21 14:33:38
    please don't hotlink

please don't hotlink
    But now I'm curious...I can't remember what NP's artwork for FFII looked like.
    Oh yeah, I remember that cover now.

I can't say I remember Cecil riding a giant crow in the game. Or looking like Snow White's prince.

Anyhow, to get back on topic, what does everyone think of the Castlevania: the Adventure WiiWare remake? I haven't seen much of it myself, but it looks pretty good. Much better than the game it's based on, at least.

As usual, though, the music is awesome.

• edited 2012-05-23 12:12:13
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Honestly, it looks more like Edward than Cecil.

For content:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv6wLtYarIc
    Pretty sure that's just a crappy rendition of a black chocobo
  • edited 2012-05-23 14:01:30

Warning: Late strip in Manly Guys Doing Manly Things.

Simons various character designs are just so much "wut?"