Roald Dahl

edited 2012-05-16 23:50:56 in General Media
(so as to get the children's book talk out of that other thread)

I always loved Matilda as a kid. Having telekinetic powers was a long-held fantasy of mine, so that was neat, and I felt like I could relate to her in a way. My family wasn't abusive like hers was, but the whole thing about not really feeling challenged by class material...

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The man was an ace RAF pilot as well, and handled intelligence with Ian Fleming. Pretty awesome.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I liked that story too, and Fantastic Mr. Fox, and the Charlie stories.

Roald Dahl always seemed kind of disturbing to me when I was very young, though, with the exception of The Giraffe, the Pelly and Me which didn't have anything horrible happening to anyone.  I always hated The Twits and George's Marvellous Medicine because they freaked me out when I was small.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I've been meaning to re-read the Charlie stories for a long time. I had them read to me when I was 5, and at the time my head was full of images of Gene Wilder and Peter Ostrum, so I feel like I missed out on the imagination part. Also the fact that I don't remember much about a story heard in 1995.

George's Marvellous Medicine...I had forgotten about that book until now! It freaked me out, too.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I love Roald Dahl and I've read many of his books.

They're all hideously disturbing and dark, but kids love that! No really, we did!
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    You do know he also wrote stuff for adults, right? Read "Poison" or "The Sound Machine" some time.
  • I love all his stuff.