Hank Pym and the Ultimates present his latest hit

edited 2012-05-12 22:41:27 in General

TURNED INTO A MONSTER!

AND YOU’RE TO BLAME!

YOU GIVE SCIENCE A BAD NAME

Comments

• I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    It's a true banner in the works.

But seriously, hilarious.
  • For all of the Ultimates flaws (And believe, there are many) these moments made it...um...well, readable? no, that imples you can read it without gouging your eyes out. More like "bearable", I guess.

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Ahhh, the Darker and Edgier Marvel Universe.

Wolverine was still the best at what he did, but what he did was being an insufferable douche-bag and getting beat up by the Hulk.
  • that's not really different from the original Marvel universe

(I haven't exercised in a year, I've forgotten all of my martial arts knowledge and the last time i punched someone in the face was three years ago. Come at me, bro)

Wolverine seemed a bit less apathetic to the people around him in the regular Marvel Universe...though he does get beat up by the Hulk a lot.

I mean, it's how he got his start.

• I just never really liked Wolverine. Although I guess it's simply that I never liked superheroes that kill people, except for Captain America. I dunno, it just seems like a boring break from the concept to try and create something resembling grittiness? *shrug* 

I kinda like that he had been around for so long they could cook up any crazy story and hand wave it by explaining that Wolverine spent several years in "x".

I mean, ninjas are after Wolverine and it's because some Japanese big-wig is pissed off about something he did years ago, and it was just like "Huh, OK." And then Wolverine was fighting ninjas...
  • I've always thought he looked like a total knob.

The yellow and blue spandex is a weird look to rock.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Wait, Wolverine started out as just another enemy of the Hulk?
  • Yeap. Wolverine was designed specifically to be a big threat to Wolverine, which is why he got adamantium claws and regeneration powers on par with the hulks nigh impenetrable skin and (also) regeneration powers

"Wolverine was designed specifically to be a big threat to Wolverine"

HE'S HIS OWN WORST ENEMY!
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    The Wolverine.  Huh.

I guess he became just "Wolverine" when he turned protagonist?
    Adding "The" apparently doesn't work well for some protagonists, I guess.

And well, Wolverine does have clones... which are a fairly good match for him.
  • What I don't believe was that they actually billed him as Canadian
    As John Byrne and Chris Claremont wrote his origin, it's not really surprising, considering Byrne's love for Canadians and Claremont's love for doing the things Byrne loves. 

HE'S HIS OWN WORST ENEMY!

man, do you imagine what it's like for wolverine when he gets a rash? i tell ya, organs fly.
  • Poison Ivy: the deadliest villain of all.
  • meh, ivy's boring, and too much of a narcissist to boot. 

anyway:

there's nothing not stupid about this comic.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Hulk just can't keep it in his pants in this comic, can he? :P
  • How can you talk about stupid things in the Ultimates without:

Pfft.

I like this interpretation. XD

Huge slam against France out of nowhere! 
  • I have to say, if that was supposed to be funny, it succeeded.

If not, well...

I'm sure it was unless you where French and not self-loathing.
  • That's always a classic. The reason is wrong is simply because Captain America fought in World War Two. He was in France. He fought alongside the resistance. For such a man to call the French cowardly, it's...well...ugh.

Or, as Ed Brubaker put it:

With that said, I pretty much stopped scanning stuff after Millar tried to justify the USA's nuking of Japan, which makes no sense at all. I get that there were aliens there or whatever, but any spin doctor worth his salt would have just said that they were enemy camps full of enemies, not civil populations. Not to mention that it's still basically saying that the US took around a bajillion lives in the name of humanity. It's bullshit of the most heinous kind.

I guess I'll go after vol 2 if I feel suicidal enough.

• If you can get a physical copy, Volume 2 is worth reading just for (this might be a spoiler) the biggest splash panel ever. I was thumbing through the comic when it came out and suddenly...I just had no idea what I was holding.
  • I'm sure it was unless you where French and not self-loathing.

It's funny only because it's such a bizarre statement for Captain America to make, not because it's true.

(the French actually have a fairly impressive war record if memory serves. Moreso if you count Napoleon)

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Is there a scan of Reed Richards screaming about the systematic raping of science?
  • If you can get a physical copy, Volume 2 is worth reading just for (this might be a spoiler) the biggest splash panel ever. I was thumbing through the comic when it came out and suddenly...I just had no idea what I was holding.
    Not gonna lie, the whole reason I started doing this was precisely because I remembered the art was incredibly gorgeous and the battles were epic.

And they were. Bryan Hitch is really this book's only redeeming feature

"With that said, I pretty much stopped scanning stuff after Millar tried to justify the USA's nuking of Japan, which makes no sense at all."

In the comic or in real life? 'Cause the real life example is all kinds of complex and involves various evils of various weights and it's difficult to call out which one was the lessest. 
  • It's a mix of both. The thing is, I get why it happened and that it's justifiable in that it was a last minute measure. 

But Millar posits that it wasn't an action done out of desperation, but out of deliberate forethought, because lolaliens. The reason why it doesn't make sense is because, then, the Americans spin doctored an story about how it was a last resource action out of desperation that killed billions of civillians, see? There's no way any spin doctor is really that stupid. 
  • The sadness will last forever.
    FUCK YEAH MARVEL

^^ Yeah, that does seem a bit disrespectful to the people who had to make the final decision and to the people who died because of it.