The Candy Valley News Archive

edited 2011-03-21 22:21:09 in General
Candy Valley Must Replace Traffic Lights, Say Feds

March 7, 2011

CANDY VALLEY — The Federal Highway Administration has threatened
to withhold funding from an Ohio town if they do not bring replace their traffic lights to conform with national standards.

Officials claim that the high rate of car accidents in Candy Valley can be traced to the city's nonstandard traffic light setup, which employs purple, magenta, and pink lights instead of the traditional red, yellow, and green. "To anyone who wasn't born and raised in Candy Valley, these signals mean nothing, " an FHWA spokesperson said Monday. "Does purple mean stop? Does purple mean go? It's dangerous, and it needs to stop."

Candy Valley officials are not so convinced. "It's the same as traffic lights anywhere in the country, " said Candy Valley mayor Central Avenue. "The top light means stop, the bottom light means proceed, and the middle light means drive as fast as you can to make it through before the camera catches you. The fact that the top light is purple instead of red doesn't change anything."

This is not the first time Candy Valley has had to deal with such an ultimatum. In 2005, the FHWA threatened to withhold funding until the city's traffic signs met a minimum standard of reflectivity. "It was terrible," recalls Mayor Avenue. "We spent the entire city budget that year applying more and more sparkly glitter paint to all our signs. It got to the point where you could hardly see them during the day."

Candy Valley is expected to begin retrofitting traffic signals early next month.

(I'm not sure what inspired me to repost this)

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I wanna go to Candy Valley.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I don't know, man, all that sugar probably isn't good for your health...
    But you're the mayor! You're fine!

...How does anyone go without eating the city into ruins?
  • edited 2011-03-22 18:53:25
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Oh, that's happened before. Several times. But because it's all sugar and candy, it's pretty easy to rebuild.

I do feel kinda bad about spending all that federal disaster relief money on candy, though...
    Candy that the buildings are made from.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Police Equipment Eaten, Suspect Pleads "Not Guilty"

CANDY VALLEY -- Over $200 of candy-based police equipment was eaten from the Candy Valley Police Department on Bubblegum Avenue Wednesday night, say police. Among the items eaten are several pairs of licorice handcuffs used by Candy Valley officers.

Investigators initially suspected the CEO of ABC, Inc., known only as "Anonus". Anonus has entered a plea of "not guilty" to charges of Consumption of Public Property. "I hate licorice!" the suspect said Wednesday. "Somepony's framed me!"

Investigators intend to continue searching for the true culprit, or maybe not, since licorice handcuffs are a really stupid idea, anyway. "Couldn't you just bite your way free?" said Candy Valley mayor Central Avenue.
    I must issue a correction: the company's name is to be rendered as "ABC Inc" in all documentation, except when the full name, "American Broadcasting Companies, Inc." is needed.
    It's my newspaper, I'll write it how I want!

...Fine, I'll have the editor change it.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Looking through old threads and I DEMAND more news about Candy Valley.

This sleepy Ohio town is on the only one brave enough to break with convention in our society of followers, and it simply deserves more coverage.

There is no news of car crashes or CRIME in this link.

But I do like the ability to change the theme.
    Crap, I actually had an update about CRIME set up to post tonight but I entered the wrong day.

I'll go fix it.
    I now associate "credit" with Doctor Who. Nobody in space/the future uses dollars, just credits.
  • edited 2011-12-23 00:59:13
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

"I now associate "credit" with Doctor Who. Nobody in space/the future uses dollars, just credits."

It's been a Star Wars thing for me for a long ass-time.
  • Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    If/when I get around to writing sci-fi that takes place in the far future, I will have one rule: no credits. None at all!

Also, BAT

Star Trek attempted the no money thing. 

But even the original it was clear that people still used "credits" for things if you where far enough from regular federation space.