SAFENEIGH: Ponyville's First Supermarket

edited 2012-06-10 06:25:12 in General
Good idea or bad? I'm worried it would drive all the local merchants out of business...

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Ponies don't understand capitalism, so probably bad.

Like the name though (although it probably conveys a somewhat different sense over here).
  • Safeneigh? 

Why not call it Stop n' Clop?  oh god I feel terrible
  • edited 2012-05-01 23:04:15
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Because Safeneigh is a much better name than Stop n' Clop, obviously.

Especially since to a substantial portion of the viewers that will read as "pause the video here and..."
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Oh man, and I thought Safeneigh was funny. :o
  • edited 2012-05-02 00:35:42
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    ...why does this remind me of the South Park episode "Something Wall-Mart This Way Comes"? I can't even remember if I've watched that one (all the way through) or not.
  • edited 2012-05-02 00:50:54
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    (although it probably conveys a somewhat different sense over here) 

I'm curious now: How so?
    The British branch of Safeway got taken over by Morrisons years ago and all the stores were renamed and refurbished at that time, so the reference sounds kind of retro to me.
    It was kind of retro here, too, as Safeway fell on hard times in the late 1980s and early 1990s and a bunch of stores disappeared. Before we moved to this house in 2010, I hadn't shopped there on a regular basis since, oh, 1984?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I've never been to a Safeway. YNTKT.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I have. There is one about seven minutes from the house; until the King Soopers opened in 2003 it was our closest grocery store. Mother hates it, thinks it's not clean (at least the restrooms' floors tend to be wet).
  • I wish I could go back in time and slap myself.
    It might not be so bad if you rely on local suppliers.

However, I think the ponies like meeting their customers face to face.

Yeah, the one in Lake Ridge has been there since 1973 (it was one of the first supermarkets in that part of PWC), and it's kind of grody. But it's also the closest store to the house, so I find myself going there when I need something and don't feel like going to Target, Shoppers (also kind of gross) or Walmart.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    What about a supermarket for northern ponies to buy fish?
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    "Ponies don't understand capitalism, so probably bad."

Eh? I was under the impression they had jobs, paid for goods, etc...
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I think they're referring to everyone's reaction to the Flimflam siblings, an episode which it should be noted I haven't seen yet. Thus, I could be mistaken.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Huh, I never got that vibe from that episode. If anything, it felt more capitalist leaning than the others.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    The Apple family were growing quality apples, the Flimflam bros. clearly had no intention of doing that.  If the Apple family had just put their hooves down and charged more for the apples, the Flimflams would have had to find some other provider or move on.  In the episode, this idea isn't even raised; they act like the two businesses cannot possibly coexist.

Filthy Rich is evidence of successful pony entrepreneurship, of course.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    The Film Flam brothers' plan always struck me as idiotic. We've seen enough of the Apple family's business dealings to know that cider sales alone aren't going to sustain the farm...I imagine the brothers would have run the place into the ground fairly quickly.
  • edited 2012-05-02 20:06:32
    Let me tell you. About Fallen London.
    Alternatively:

"Hey, can we use tree after tree of your apples for free to demonstrate our product?"
    "No."
    *roll end credits*

And the letter to Princess Celestia would still be the same.
    I wonder now how much the Apples could have gotten away with charging the Flimflams.
    I love how when I read "*roll end credits*" I could hear My Little Pony~ in my head.
    ...for some reason it's weird to me when people talk about this episode in detail. Maybe because it is one of my least favorites of the season and I don't feel like I can contribute.
    Really? I would think that if it was among your least favorites of the season you would have something to say about it. You must have reasons for disliking it, after all.
    Those reasons are that I found it pretty boring, aside from the musical number and the letter.

And it almost never leaves one setting, either (ironically, "Suited For Success", which I love, literally never leaves Carousel Boutique yet it's still great).
  • edited 2012-05-03 02:38:44
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

""Hey, can we use tree after tree of your apples for free to demonstrate our product?"
    "No."
    *roll end credits*"

This. Obviously, Flim and Flam are lacking the ingredient that works with their machine, but they're not above baiting others to giving them what they want for free. 

But yes, of course, if they needed to purchase Apples, they would have had to operate off a different business model. And the Apple family could have benefited. 

However, they'd have to change their names to "respectable" and "businesspony" if that's how they operated. :P