SpaceBuilders: Forum-Based TBS / RP Game -- SIGNUP THREAD

edited 2012-04-30 19:04:36 in General

This is the signup thead for the official Heapers' Hangout SpaceBuilders game. Each player controls a space empire and associated race, and the players compete with each other to colonize planets.

The full rules as they currently exist may be found here.

When signing up, please include the following (copied directly from the PDF rulebook)

Race Name & Home System Name: (Your race can be absolutely anything you want
it to be, from SPESS MUHREENS to COSSACKS IN SPESS – though distinct alien
races are encouraged)
Colour on Map: (Cannot be white or black)
Government Type: (Is it autocratic or democratic? This determines how effective you
will be in trade and military)
Ideology: (This is an important factor for diplomacy – research empires and trading
empires will find more common ground with each other than a militaristic or demonic
empire.)
Location: (Which part of the galaxy, the centre or the rim? North or South? )

Fluff: (Anything encouraged, from the long and epic to the short and comedic)

and one of the three starting modules (again, taken from the rulebook. We will not be using custom starters for this game)

1. Military - +10 military research, +5 weapons, +10 shipbuilding
2. Scientific +10 research, +10 military research, +5 engines
3. Cultural +10 to developing espionage, +5 culture, +10 happiness

As for some general guidelines; your fluff should match up with your playstyle. Try to keep a consistent writing style, be kind and courteous to other players, and above all, have fun.

Confirmed Players:

Super Lazuli

• Race Name & Home System Name: The Anunaki of Nunakh'e
    • Colour on Map: Dark Blue
    • Government Type: Autocratic, run by a small Council of Elders
    • Ideology: The Annunaki prize knowledge and understanding. Their race is the result of generations upon generations of constant biological modification, so this makes a degree of sense. Traditionally, the Council of Elders is in charge of all matters on Nunakh'e and its associated planets. Though each planet also has a "local" Council, going down to the smallest units of government. Anunaki prefer diplomacy to war, but are quick to battle if attacked. And their mastery of laser and plasma weaponry indeed makes them formidable in this regard.
    • Location: the Anunaki hail from the very center of the Milky Way galaxy.
    • Fluff: The Anunaki are the distant descendants of the fungi-like race known as the anuni-Anunaki. However, thousands of years of self-bioengineering has rendered them almost unrecognizable from their original forms. Nunakh'e is not quite a gas planet, but it has a very gaseous atmosphere, meaning most organisms native to it live near in the sky or near it, with the ground of the planet being used almost exclusively for mining. Nunakh'e itself has long been covered by the sprawling megalopolis of Nunakh'e-ekzeh'e, to the point that little of the wild planet remains. The Anunaki, for all their technological prowess, have just recently mastered faster-than-light travel (though not quite as recently as the majority of other such races.
      • Biologically. Anunaki are more machine than man (well, fungus). But they resemble gaseous, faintly glowing wisps. They are generally humanoid in shape, becoming less so as they grow older. With the eldest of the Anunaki being little more than masses of blueish gas contained by a cloak, often with only the center "nucleus" visible. Only the older Anunaki even wear such cloaks, as Anunaki, being entities of gas-surrounded machinery, have little practical need for clothing.
      • Anunaki place a high importance on visual aesthetics, as they see in several more bands of color than humans do. Anunaki architecture is generally rounded and resembling stone (though it is nearly always machinery) with glowing lines criss-crossing it. Said lines are the plasma channels that Anunaki electronics use in a fashion similar to fiber-optic cable. These lines are a multitude of colors, with the various colors denoting things such as purpose, function, and ownership of the line. The largest of these lines, the Chromatic River, crisscrosses nearly the entirety of Nunakh'e, and is considered one of the architectural wonders of the Galaxy.
      • Anunaki do not decrease in mental functions when they age, as such, Anunaki society is nearly always ruled by the eldest among them, and since Anunaki can live to be thousands of years old, these elders are often quite intelligent indeed. The oldest Anunaki serve as the Council of Elders, ranked in importance by color (Dark Blue, Dark Red, Purple, Green, Yellow, Light Blue, Light Red, "Sunthekh'e" [color far below the human eye-range. Appears as a sort of X-ray grey.], Ultraviolet, Ultrayellow, and Silver)
    • Module: Scientific

IMPORTANT

other than the game itself, we're not too sure what we're doing yet. Suggestions of all kinds are welcome, be it regarding plot, setting, or modifications to the rules that might suit us here

Also, you cannot pick black or white as a racial color. Sorriez.

SIGNUPS WILL BE FINALIZED ON SATURDAY

Tagged:

Comments

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    I'll play
  • I'm down for it. Gimme some time to come up with a race and I'll try it out.
  • edited 2012-04-29 18:05:15
    Race Name & Home System Name: The Raxxus Hivemind... of Raxxus

Colour on Map: Red

Government Type: --

Ideology: Despite what it was created for, the Hivemind is actually rather averse to war.

Location: Anywhere is fine, though I'd prefer the lower left.

Fluff: The Raxxus Hivemind originated in the bio-weapon labs of a vicious, warlike race that had just achieved interstellar travel. Due to a breach in containment, it escaped the labs and set about its purpose: Taking control of the minds of all organic life on the planet. Roughly 10 hours after it took over the last mind of its creator race, it achieved sentience. 3 hours after that, it learned how to access their technology. Its first act after doing so has been expunged from any and all records it could get access to, though there is evidence that the planet Raxxus' moon did not always have a massive hole in it. Several weeks and much devastated topography later, it found its creators' technology for interstellar travel, and its collective thoughts turned to the stars above.

Oh, and Military.

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Might as well try it out, even if I am overpowered on the first turn.

• Race Name & Home System Name: The Morelia of the Liasis System
    • Color on Map: Purple
    • Government Type: Autocratic, ruled by a monarch appointed by a group of advisors
    • Ideology: The Morelia hold knowledge and technology in the highest regard. They strongly prefer to solve disagreements through diplomacy and trade, but they may resort to war in a desperate situation.
    • Location: About halfway between the center and the rim, in the "east" portion of the map.
    • Fluff: The Morelia are oddly similar to a real life organism here on Earth. To put it simply, they're sapient pythons with arms. Their cultures are relatively easygoing for the most part, but most of them also place a great emphasis on learning and inventiveness. As a result, the Morelia have developed sophisticated technology within a surprisingly short space of time. They have been capable of space travel for several decades, though the most they've done so far is a thorough exploration of their moon. Several years ago, the current monarch, Queen Indigo, ordered the commission of exploration teams that would explore new planets. Now, these teams are well prepared and ready to depart for their new frontier. (more detail may be added if requested)
    • Module: Scientific
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind

Sure, why not.

Race Name & Home System Name:  The Octopodiforms of Gl'ygh'glb

Color on Map: Green

Government Type: Corporate Republic, ruled by a board of directors and CEO.

Ideology: All Octopodiform civilization consists of one large company, OctoCo™.  OctoCo™ sells various sci-fi products,  including (but not limited to,) spaceships, space stations, and humongously oversized death lasers.

Fluff:  Octopodiform culture is based on buying and selling things. As such, they're much more likely to barter and haggle than other species. They're also giant green space octopi. 

Module: Cultural

• edited 2012-04-29 20:13:34
    Race Name & Home System Name: The Nassi of the Raan System

Color on Map: Yellow

Government Type: Meritocracy ruled by duumvirate.

Ideology: Nassi civilization is heavily structured and orderly in all things, based on competition in everything from military rank to economic success. They view other races in the same way they view competitors of their species, as challengers for status, land, and resources. As a race, they are militaristic and expansionist, and while they prefer peace, they are quick to resort to force if other races are not cooperative or submissive.

Fluff: The Nassi developed on a harsh desert planet, and as a result their society is highly based on an ideology of "the strongest rule". It did not take long before the independent nation-states of the race coalesced into what is now known as the Nassi Republic, following a war of epic proportions that raged across their home planet of Bassur. Despite the lack of serious military conflict after this point in history, the Republic has nevertheless kept a strong military tradition simply because it is a by-product of their competitive nature. They resemble humanoid dogs or jackals, and their architecture and aesthetic curiously resembles those of Egyptian civilization on Earth.

http://itsnothax.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Nasus1.jpg - A typical Nassi scholar or scientist.

Module: Military.
  • I had to cut the reprints of the signups from the OP, since it was exceeding the character limit by several thousand, you'll have to keep track of these yourself.

Also, I finished writing my fluff. Yay! :D

• It's 4:20 somewhere.
    Dibs on ponies.
  • It's 4:20 somewhere.
    Well I'm out.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    I'd like to join

Also, you have time to run this but not to post in PTA? >:|
  • so like

are we still doing this? I forgot to check yesterday.

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Actually, I'm having second thoughts about this. I'm not sure I'd be a very good player, and I don't want to mess things up for everyone else.

Crmirnauc, if you want to take over my space empire, feel free.
  • So...should we wait a few days, then.

It seems like everyone just kind of forgot about this.

• I'm still in.
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    Me too.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    I'll join in gladly :D
  • K.

We still need confirms from rabbitRider though.

• I sent him a PM
  • Hey, if Rider doesn't post by tomorrow, could we just start without him?

I mean, at this point the start of the game's been delayed for about 10 days, and I think people might start to get bored and lose interest if it gets delayed for too long.
  • I think we can do that provided I'm home tomorrow.