stop taking “to die will be an awfully big adventure” out of context you jerks

It’s not a defiant quip in the face of an enemy! It’s a child realizing he has no hope and desperately convincing himself not to dwell on his impending death! It’s a far more powerful line in the original context!

(also it’s apparently a thing George Llewellyn Davies actually just said to J.M. Barrie at one point, which somehow makes it even more powerful)

Comments

• Irremediable disconsolation.
    Entirely agreed, although I've never come across it in any context except the original, and I was not aware of any adaptation that retained the line.
  • Two-thousand-zero-zero, party over, oops, outta time! Self-described narcissist and aspiring author with an imagination even I can’t contain. [she/her]
    This is mostly a subtweet at the 2003 movie version that has him say it to Captain Hook’s face.
  • Irremediable disconsolation.
    What’s a subtweet?
  • Two-thousand-zero-zero, party over, oops, outta time! Self-described narcissist and aspiring author with an imagination even I can’t contain. [she/her]

A slang term (originating on Twitter, as you probably guessed) for obliquely talking about someone behind their back in such a way that you think they won’t see.

For example, if you told me here that you dislike olives on your pizza, and I went on Twitter and posted “God, some people have the stupidest opinions about pizza toppings…”, that’d be a subtweet.

(I would never do that of course, because what other people choose to eat is none of my business.)

• edited 2023-03-04 19:16:50
    Irremediable disconsolation.

A slang term (originating on Twitter, as you probably guessed) for obliquely talking about someone behind their back in such a way that you think they won’t see.

For example, if you told me here that you dislike olives on your pizza, and I went on Twitter and posted “God, some people have the stupidest opinions about pizza toppings…”, that’d be a subtweet.

(I would never do that of course, because what other people choose to eat is none of my business.)

Lawful Good Response:  That makes sense.  I've done that without knowing the internet-slang for it.  "Yacking smack behind one's back" is what I've been calling it in my head.

Lawful Neutral Response:  Oh, good, I can finally publicly say that I always take the olives off of my pizza.

Lawful Evil Response:  Oh boy, the Antinatalist Shark will be so pleased to know that it's none of your business if someone eats your macaroni highway maps.