Bablyon 9

edited 2012-04-26 13:25:45 in General Media
I would rate Star Trek DS9 AKA Babylon 9 probably the best trek because the show it was duelling forced it to be good. It took all of what made B5 good and repackaged it as Star Trek.
Tagged:

Comments

• edited 2012-04-26 13:28:14
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    DS9 is my favorite Trek series.

I loved the Ferengi. Heck, most the characters where great.

Except Kira, fuck that bitch.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I never could get into DS9 for some reason. I'm not sure if it was because I was just Star Trekked out by then, or because it was too different from TNG.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I was Trekked out by then.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Well, tbh, in the UK DS9 is treated like a ginger haired stepchild because of TNG, VOY and ENT.
  • edited 2012-04-26 13:49:20

It was similar to TNG in that it occurred at roughly the same time. There's some overlap with TNGs later seasons and DS9s earlier ones. Though, there's a lot more conflict that needs to be solved with violence than diplomacy. Still a great deal of diplomacy, though it would be more accurate to say it's "politics" as the Cardassians are always pushing the envelope as to what they can get away with.

This is until the later seasons, of course. The shit eventully hits the fan and it's WAR!

Also Worf eventully becomes a regular crew member. I think he's Starfleet Chief of Security under Odo, or some such?

The tried to introduce some dude with southern accent to be this very early in the series, but he must not have been liked by the fans or something, because he was only in one episode if memory recalls. 

I guess they figured Odo didn't need a dedicated Watson, or they could just use other people for that role.

Anyhow, it's great if you like Star Trek, but always sort of wished there was more people shooting phasers at each other and starship combat.

^ Whooh, really? That's kinda strange. I always felt Voyager was this in America until Enterprise came out and people found something they could hate much, MUCH more.
  • edited 2012-04-26 13:50:16
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Yeah...by 1992 there were a lot more lower-decks episodes and character-driven stories on TNG, and I think I'd grown used to that sort of thing.

Heh, one of the suggestions Chrome gives for "charater" is "Charlotte." 
    Well, I was baffled why VOY didn't use character development in the same way as DS9, so went to being TNG WITH A WOMAN CAPTAIN!! and initially, ENT tried to harp back to TOS.

• edited 2012-04-26 13:58:25

DS9 was VERY character driven.

This was one of the highlights of the show, as they never went anywhere, giving the writers more time to focus on the crew and less time to get the audience up to speed on whatever new planet had just been found.

Also, O'brien and his family are in it. It' funny, even though he's not an officer, he's head of engineering and all the ensigns have to listen to him because they know jack shit compared to him. 

"Well, I was baffled why VOY didn't use character development in the same way as DS9, so went to being TNG WITH A WOMAN CAPTAIN!! and initially, ENT tried to harp back to TOS. "

I disliked pretty much all the characters in VOY, especially the captain. So I could never get into it. There where some cool episodes with the Borg, though. ENT looked like absolute garbage, like it was trying to appeal to a "wider" audience, and this meant all the charm of Star Trek was ejected out of an air-lock.

I can maybe understand people liking Voyager more than DS9, but Enterprise? 

Maybe the general populace, but I wouldn't think fans of the franchise, so much.
    DS9 was VERY character driven.

Hence why it should have been called Babylon nine :p
    This was one of the highlights of the show, as they never went anywhere,
    giving the writers more time to focus on the crew and less time to get
    the audience up to speed on whatever new planet had just been found.

That is the problem of all of the other treks except from the War on Terror arc on ENT
    Btw, could a US show air today that had as a main character someone who was a terrorist?
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

I don't see why not. V for Vendetta didn't really get too much flack and the main character was a terrorist.

Though, I'd imagine that main character would have to be fighting oppression, or something.
    Is V for Vendetta a US show?:p

No, but it was a movie released over here.

I think the only problem with making a terrorist a main character over here is if people wouldn't want to watch him/her.

Freedom of speech and all that, but if no one wants to fund or air the terrorist show, that would be a problem.
    So there couldn't be characters like Major Kira now? :(

Major Kira was fighting "tyranny", so I doubt there'd be much issue.
  • edited 2012-05-17 17:20:34
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Fighting tyranny from a government that invaded her world that invaded Bajor for its resources

Yeah, the US is fine with terrorists as long as they're "good terrorists". :p
    Like the IRA?

^^ They'd have to be portrayed in a "positive" light if it was a show that would make money. It'd still probably be controversial, but that sometimes sells, as well.
    I see

Yeah, we don't have any laws regarding what can be shown on TV, except for laws pertaining to sex, language, and violence.
  • Yeah, we don't have any laws regarding what can be shown on TV, except for laws pertaining to sex, language, and violence.

Free speech fuck yeah.
  • While there aren't any laws, truth is, there're a lot of taboos and blah blah blah 
  • Btw, could a US show air today that had as a main character someone who was a terrorist?
    Burn Notice is doing pretty well.
  • Mike Weston's already a terrorist

fuck man, show sure has changed
  • I meant Fiona, brony.

Although he kinda is, at least to the Russians.
  • I'm just here to gay the place up

Girly Colt and I just finished watching all the Startrek series on Netflix togethor. 21 seasons worth of episodes lol. Took us about 6 months :D 

Still plenty more scifi to go though as we are now onto Farscape. Still have Lexx, Firefly, Space Above and Beyond, Battlestar Galactica, Babylon5 and all of the Stargates to go in our never ending orgy of scifi goodness ;)

• I meant Fiona
    i don't remember this