WMG: Gray Ooze + Black Pudding = Gelatinous Cube

edited 2020-10-26 20:31:58 in Roleplay & Games
Apparently, in the first edition of Dungeons and Dragons, the following were true:

Black puddings are cold-immune, but can be killed with fire. 
Attacks with lightning or regular weapons spread the black pudding into smaller black puddings.  
Black puddings corrode metal and dissolve wood.
Black puddings can use ceilings as if they were floors.

Gray Oozes are cold-immune and fire-immune.
Attacks with lightning or regular weapons are the only way to harm Gray Oozes.
Gray Oozes corrode metal and have no effect on wood.

Gelatinous Cubes are cold-immune, but can be killed with fire.
Gelatinous Cubes are lightning-immune but can be killed with regular weapons.
Gelatinous Cubes digest flesh, but not objects.
Gelatinous Cubes stick to floors, ceilings, and walls.

My WMG:  Gray Ooze + Black Pudding = Gelatinous Cube.
Gelatinous Cube gets its lightning immunity and fire-vulnerability from Black Pudding.
Gelatinous Cube gets its not-dissolving-wood and vulnerable-to-weapons traits from Gray Ooze, but on the flip side, being able to absorb/be-damaged-by rather than be-spread-into-smaller-ones-of-yourself-by weapons probably also comes from Gray Ooze.
Gray Ooze, Black Pudding, and Gelatinous Cube are all cold-immune, while Ochre Jelly and Green Slime are not (Ochre Jelly and Green Slime are fire-vulnerable, cold-vulnerable, destroy both wood and metal, and cannot be killed with regular weapons or lightning).

Further WMG:  If the result of Gray Ooze + Black Pudding was a metal-corroding, weapon-immune, fire-immune monster instead of Gelatinous Cube, it would be a very effective anti-dragon weapon, not only immune to fire and perhaps also claws and stuff (assuming those count as weapons), but corroding and tarnishing their hoards!

Comments

• finally, a good thread.
  • of course in a pinch you can substitute a Ditto for either parent
  • Black puddings are cold-immune, but can be killed with fire. 

Attacks with lightning or regular weapons spread the black pudding into smaller black puddings.  
    Black puddings corrode metal and dissolve wood.
    Black puddings can use ceilings as if they were floors.
    i have eaten black pudding before and can confirm all of this is true.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    What happens when any of these are exposed to and/or merged with the Colour Out of Space?
  • What happens when any of these are exposed to and/or merged with the Colour Out of Space?

BAD THINHGS
  • ^ I'm Glenn Magus Harvey and I approve this message.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Ali_Roz said:

What happens when any of these are exposed to and/or merged with the Colour Out of Space?

BAD THINHGS

Correct! ^w^
  • edited 2022-01-20 20:01:24
    Adding to this, beholders, purple worms, ropers, and mind flayers are as follows:

"Mind flayers are only found in subterranean places, as they detest sunlight.  They are greatly evil and consider the bulk of humanity (and its kin) as cattle to feed upon... the mind flayer's skin glistens with slime.  Its skin color is a nauseous mauve, its tentacles being purplish black.  A mind flayer's eyes are dead white, no pupil being evident.  The three large fingers of each hand are reddish, but the hands are mauve."

"Ropers inhabit subterranean caverns.  They prey upon all sorts of creatures, but humans are their favorite form of food... the roper has six strands of strong, sticky rope-like excretion which it can shoot... this yellowish gray monster appears to be a mass of foul, festering corruption.  The roper is cigar-shaped, about 9' long, with a diameter of some 3'."

"Purple worms burrow deep beneath the ground in constant search of food.  They sense vibrations at 60' and move to attack.  Generally only adult specimens, 8'-9' in diameter and 40'-50' long, are encountered... A purple worm attacks by biting... a mature purple worm can swallow, whole, a creature as large as 8' or so tall and up to 6' wide, or vice versa... additionally, the purple worm has a poisonous stinger in its tail"

"The beholder (eye tyrant, sphere of many eyes) is most frequently found underground, although it infrequently will lair in desolate wildernesses.  The globular body of this monster is supported by levitation, and it floats slowly about as it wills.  Atop the sphere are 10 eyestalks, while in its central area are a great eleventh eye and a large mouth filled with pointed teeth.  The body is protected by a hard chitonous covering... the beholder is hateful, aggressive, and avaricious."

Note that all of these live in below-ground places.

My conclusions are:

Beholders levitate and float slowly as a natural defense because (1) they are chitinous and thus hard rather than squishy and (2) purple worms sense vibrations at 60 feet away.  Being unconnected to non-air surfaces most of the time, and being covered in a chitinous shell-like-covering which probably has few nerves, they can't sense-the-vibration-of-a-burrowing-purple-worm like most things-a-purple-worm-eat can, so predator awareness in this instance is almost exclusively dependent upon sight, which is well-served by the beholder's many eyes.

Mind flayers are mostly mauve/purplish and have pupil-lacking eyes as a natural defense because beholders rely so heavily on sight to recognize prey, predator, and other beholders, and the eyeball-shaped multi-eyed beholder is visually biased to recognize the eyes of other creatures.  Mind flayers, having slimy skin which is presumably squishy and sensitive, are that way so as to minimize vibrations and maximize sensitivity to vibrations, which serves the purposes of detecting purple worms more often and not being detected by purple worms as often.

Ropers are about 9' long as a natural defense because that makes them too long to be swallowed whole by most adult purple worms.  Ropers also appear to be a mass of foul, festering corruption as a natural defense against anything else that would try to eat them (probably beholders with their pointed teeth, they have to eat something).  They are sticky-squishy for the same reasons that mind flayers are slimy-squishy.  Being strong and sticky, their shoot-able strands are kind of like a spider or spiderman's web/silk (being useful for catching prey, for getting through places, or for feeling vibrations) or a frog/chameleon's tongue.  Considering that both ropers and mind flayers prey upon people, they may be in competition or have a semi-symbiotic herdsman-and-barely-domesticated-wolf relationship with people being the herd.

Beholders are, as has been said, avaricious, and humanoids, especially people, tend to have shiny things.  Beholders probably do the jackdaw thing and collect shinies.  Shinies attract humanoids, which keeps the cycle going.

Purple worms are probably, along with gelatinous cubes, responsible for the subterranean being such a large and diverse biosphere, with purple worms being responsible for circle-shaped tube-caves and gelatinous cubes being responsible for square-shaped dungeon-hallways.  However, we know that purple worms have a poisonous, rather than a venomous, stinger, and that they attack by biting, rather than stinging, which implies that the stinger is a natural defense.  But against what?

Which leads me to one subterranean monster I should have included earlier:

"Dragons come in many colors, sizes, shapes, and alignments... the red dragon is usually found dwelling in great hills or mountainous regions.  As with most others of this species, they make their lairs in subterranean caves and similar places.  They are very greedy and avaricious.  Of all evil dragons, this sort is the worst, save for Tiamat herself". 

Perhaps the red dragon is the apex predator (attracted by the shinies associated with beholders and humanoids, and possibly the cruelty that can be done to humanoids because EVIL) that the purple worm's stinger is a defense against.  I mean, there has to be a reason a flying creature would make its lair underground.

(Note that I am not assuming evolution, just trying to guess at what the relationships between these monsters are when adventurers aren't around).
  • this take on dungeon ecology is amazing and top-notch