straight from the Clinton era

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.

speaking of that queer erasure stuff......uh......sort of?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    You know, the more I see from the DIC dub, the more I understand why all those sweaty cishet dudes who didn't actually watch the show had no qualms about saying Sailor Moon was hot

Because her voice in the dub doesn't sound anything like a 14-year-old, and if you only saw bits of that out of context, you would probably conclude she was an adult
    um, Sailor Jupiter is the hot one
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Let's be real: nobody who made the "boom anime babes" type quips ever watched enough to the show to actually know which one was Sailor Jupiter.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

You know, the more I see from the DIC dub, the more I understand why all those sweaty cishet dudes who didn't actually watch the show had no qualms about saying Sailor Moon was hot

Because her voice in the dub doesn't sound anything like a 14-year-old, and if you only saw bits of that out of context, you would probably conclude she was an adult
    But enough about Doug Walker
    I mean, yeah, he was the one I was thinking of when I typed that.
    anyway

bump

ANGRYYYYYYYYYYY
    I still don't understand why they changed Makoto's name to Lita.

Like, most of the other Sailor girls' names are just crudely Americanized versions of their original names

Ami ~> Amy, Rei ~> Raye, etc.

But then again, they also named Usagi "Serena" when "Bunny" would have been way more obvious, so...who knows
  • Probably wanted to avoid the association with Playboy Bunnies.
    after Lita Ford, maybe, I dunno

• I still don't understand why they changed Makoto's name to Lita.

Like, most of the other Sailor girls' names are just crudely Americanized versions of their original names

Ami ~> Amy, Rei ~> Raye, etc.

But then again, they also named Usagi "Serena" when "Bunny" would have been way more obvious, so...who knows

there's not really a friendly american equivalent of "Makoto" I guess.

Also a fun fact for you: there were early plans to dub and localize Revolutionary Girl Utena in the same fashion. The main character's name was to become Ursula, which is hilarious for many reasons.

Also a fun fact for you: there were early plans to dub and localize Revolutionary Girl Utena in the same fashion. The main character's name was to become Ursula, which is hilarious for many reasons.

I laughed for like a full minute straight
    that would've gone over great I'm sure
  • They only had access to the scripts for the first twelve episodes and were apparently under the impression that it was a standard magical girl series.

Ikuhara himself actually became involved with the dub later on, though it's not really particularly fondly-remembered other than for the performance of the actress playing Utena herself. Sadly it was one of only a few major dub roles she did IIRC.

HE'S ACTUALLY GIGGLING

y'know I really can't argue with their fashion sense
  • They only had access to the scripts for the first twelve episodes and were apparently under the impression that it was a standard magical girl series.

Ikuhara himself actually became involved with the dub later on, though it's not really particularly fondly-remembered other than for the performance of the actress playing Utena herself. Sadly it was one of only a few major dub roles she did IIRC.

this was in my to-post box here for some reason 
    Sometimes things get stuck in your drafts even after you've posted them, because our forum software is terrible

never gonna let you down
    So, for the benefit of those who haven't seen this episode, the actual reason why Joe is unusually good at crane games is that he was born with a shard of a magical space crystal in his body and it gave him telekinesis

Which is to say, even in the original Japanese, this show got silly sometimes
    "sometimes"
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

I mean, yeah, he was the one I was thinking of when I typed that.

Not "one week"?
    Them too

great last line from Jupiter
    I laughed as well

what do you mean it wasn't made on drugs
    I love how Sailor Chibi Moon is very obviously voiced by a 30-something woman trying to do an impression of a little girl
  • I can't tell where mammoth demon lady's voice comes out of

I love how Sailor Chibi Moon is very obviously voiced by a 30-something woman trying to do an impression of a little girl

I guess you would know
    OK, that got a laugh out of me. Well played.

television.
    Is she, like, watching TV on a PC? The thing beneath the CRT appears to have a floppy disk drive.
    hmm, I guess so. Very forward-thinking for the 90s.

really?

what is this I don't even
    My favorite thing about the Chibiusa gun scene is that they kept it in every adaptation

well, it is memorable, I guess

GUACAMOLE BOMB
  • this video caused me to lol
    I’m starting to think this show might be a little bit silly
    just a lil