War hasn't changed. Let's Play Fallout II! (Image Heavy)

edited 2012-04-23 22:20:08 in Liveblogs

So basically, Fallout is an old RPG, and it's set in the post-apocalyptic alternate universe future, and it has stuff, and I just realized I'm terrible at describing things.

So, that's the intro video, and it does a better job at explaining the plot than I did. 

This is primarily gonna be a screenshot LP, but I'm gonna let you guys decide what I do.

First off, we can create our character. We can pick a big, stupid muscleman, a Russian cat burglar, a smooth-talking diplomat type, or we can create our own. I'll let you guys decide.

Comments

• edited 2012-04-22 21:46:58
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I'm tempted to say create our own. If you'd rather not do that, I'm leaning toward the thief, then the diplomat as a backup choice.

I'm curious as to why they're specifically a Russian cat burglar.
  • If we're not doing our own, the diplomat.

But if we're co-building? MAKE OUR OWN. MAKE OUR OWN. ALL THE FUCKING WAY. YEAH.

• i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind

Right, guess we're making our own character then!

Now, we can choose several things about our character, including:

Cosmetic Stuff

We can choose the character's name, age, and gender. Doesn't really matter much.

Primary Stats

See, Fallout uses a thing called the SPECIAL system. It's an acronym for Strength, Perception, Endurance, Charisma, Intelligence, Agility, and Luck, which are the main stats. They all add modifiers and things to Skills, (which we'll discuss later), as well as helping with general checks in dialogue. The minimum for each skill is 1 (very bad), and the maximum is 10 (very good). 

Strength is, well, how strong the character is. It affects how much you can carry, how many hit points you have, and how much melee damage you can do. Its skills are Melee Weapons and Unarmed (both fairly self-explanatory skills).

Perception is basically how well you can notice things. It affects ranged combat modifiers, and its main skills are Doctor, First Aid, Lockpick, and Traps (How much you can heal major wounds, how much you can heal minor wounds, how well you can pick locks, and how well you can place and disarm traps, respectively.)

Endurance is basically how physically hardy the character is. It affects how long it takes to naturally heal, hit points, and poison and radiation resistance. Its only skill is Outdoorsman, which basically has a minimal effect.

Charisma is how charming you are. It affects NPC reactions to the player and item prices. Its two skills are Speech (how much of a fast-talker you are) and Barter (how much of a salesman you are).

Intelligence is how smart you are. It affects how many skill points you get per level. Also, if you have an extremely low intelligence, you will be basically an idiot and most if not all sidequests will be locked off. Its skills are Doctor, First Aid, Outdoorsman, Repair (Makes it easier to repair things), and Science (How l337 your computer hacking skills are).

Agility is how coordinated you are, and it affects all of the weapon skills, including Big Guns (grenade chainguns and the like), Energy Weapons (laser guns), Lockpick, Melee Weapons, Small Guns (pistols to rifles), Sneak (sneaking), Steal (stealing), Throwing (throwing things), Traps, and Unarmed.

Luck is how lucky you are and it affects all dice rolls and critical chance slightly, as well as the Gambling skill.

Each skill starts at 5, and you can raise or lower stats to your liking. You start off with five points to add to the stat things, and it occurs to me that I probably should have gotten a screenshot of the character creation system, fuck.

• edited 2012-04-23 18:58:44
    i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind

So, this is the character creation screen. I'll explain a few more of these things in a bit.

• i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind

Other Stats

The stuff that the mouse is hovering over are stats that are affected by the skills and aren't too terribly important and can safely be ignored.

Skills

Each skill has its own skill level which is expressed as a percentage, from 0% to 200%, and the higher, the better. We're allowed to pick three skills, which raises the percentage up and doubles the rate at which the player learns these skills. 

Traits

We can choose two optional traits. They usually have a good effect and a bad effect on gameplay. Once you choose one, you're stuck with it for the rest of the game, so choose wisely!

...Aaand that about covers it. If you guys need any more elaboration on any of that, just ask.

• We can choose the character's name, age, and gender. Doesn't really matter much

Charlotte, five years old, female.

• edited 2012-04-23 19:22:15
    i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    All righty. I doubt the age thingy can be that low, but okay.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Stats: I'm thinking take a point off Endurance and put 2 each in Agility, Charisma, and Intelligence.
    Skills: I'm interested in seeing how Sneak and Repair would work out. And apparently, StrategyWiki recommends tagging Small Guns, so why not?
    Traits: Finesse, Chem Resistant, and Gifted look okay. Personally, I'd prefer taking the first two.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I say we should take Gifted.

It adds +1 to all traits, but reduces your skill points. But increasing intelligence gives you more skill points anyway, so...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Charlotte is pretty smart. This acceptable to everyone?

• edited 2012-04-23 19:52:28
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Bow before your Queen, lowly mortals! Central Avenue’s eternal 8-year-old. [she/her]
    [obligatory appearance]

All righty, changed intelligence to ten, and we're ready to get started!

Hm. FRAPS doesn't work with Fallout 1, but it does for Fallout 2. Anyone have any objections to me switching games? I'll keep the same character and everything.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Very well, then. We can deal with any changes to the stat/skill system if we need to.

The system is the same, but there might be different traits.

Finished tutorial dungeon. Will upload screenshots soon.

Welcome to Fallout 2! The game starts at this temple-y place, so you can prove your worth as the chosen one and save your people or some crap like that.

ahaha fuck you too klint

Charlotte enters the temple to find....

Goddamn giant ants.

Why can't they even give her a gun or something, like seriously

Achievement Unlocked: Master of Unlocking wait no that's stupid

Current stats.

So, there's a bomb in a pot in an abandoned temple for some reason.

Did I mention this game is set in post-apocalyptic 23rd century California?

That works.

Who is this guy even.

Oh, he wants to face Charlotte in hand-to-hand combat before he gives her the key to the door behind him.

Screw that.

Yay?

And thus the game actually begins!

Time to head out into the wide-open world!

First, though...

Let's steal Grandma's life savings! :D

No, I don't know why an old lady's life savings consist of a knife and a bag of some description.

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    See if you talk to one of the guys next to the plant about crop rotation, I think your int might be high enough for that...

I forget how that part works.

Also, I believe there's a tiny side-quest where you play gardener and beat the hell out of some aggressive plants.