So like

Does twitter not know Gen X exists?

Comments

• I'd guess they're lumped in with millennials 'cause they hate boomers too 
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I always feel sad that the baby boom generation has such a bad rep given their excellent pop culture

Then again, I was always annoyed at the "the world began in 1960" narrative
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Do Gen X know Twitter exists?
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Yes
  • edited 2018-08-27 13:47:58
    In most ways that generational differences actually exist, Gen X is basically just somewhere in between the boomers and the millennials. They got jobs while the economy was still good, but haven't retired yet. They're young enough to understand Google, but too old to understand Instagram. And so on. Thus they either get lumped in with one side or the other in the generation wars, or else are close enough to the middle that neither side really hates them.

And since they're too young to have opinion columns but too old to have Tumblrs, the "I'm gen X and I think both the kids and the old fogeys need to get off my lawn" rants mostly go unshared with the world.
  • edited 2018-08-27 13:54:05
    Or maybe it's really just that people don't phrase it in terms of "generations" when they have something to say about gen X. Like, people do complain about 80s nostalgia.

I feel like viewing the world in terms of "generations" at all is kind of a boomer thing, so all the other ones end up being defined in opposition to them.
  • They're young enough to understand Google, but too old to understand Instagram.
    Well, dang; I'm getting older faster than I'm actually getting older.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I understand instagram, I just think it's pointless.
    although not as pointless as snapchat
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I've seen people Imi's age referred to as "Xennials", since they're in that sort of grey area where you could argue they belong to Generation X or Millennials.
  • hear that, imi?

them young'uns are starting to look at us like we're cranky kong
    back in my day we had 16 bits and it was enough!!
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    There's an episode of Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People called "8-Bit Is Enough"
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    My older brother, and possibly I, are in that "Xennial" blurry area.