Toy shopping, ranked.

Walmart, Target, Meijer:
Name-brand toys. You can get whatever Hasbro or Mattel stuff you're looking for, but expect to pay full price for it.

Ollie's Bargain Outlet:
Literally name-brand toys that didn't sell at the above stores. As a result, there's a limited selection, but you'll get a better price than you would at their original stores.

Big Lots:
A few closeout name-brand toys, but mostly generic toys, many of which were specifically packaged for Big Lots. The build quality is usually decent, though, so it depends on if you're OK having a "Lovely Pony Princess" instead of a My Little Pony.

Roses:
The absolute bottom of the barrel. These toys, and their Engrish-laden packaging, are of poor enough quality to bring Dr. Stuart Ashen to tears.

And yes, the elephant in the room: Toys-R-Us. It will be sorely missed, though truthfully much of the value of Toys-R-Us came from the shopping experience rather than the merchandise itself.
Tagged:

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    The demise of Toys-R-Us has become an anticlimax.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    is there any value in TRU's merch to you?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Not much of it seems to actually be exclusive to TRU, is the thing
    hm
    it is the only place I've seen any merch for the new PPG
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    ...huh, I didn't think of that, but it's true