9/7 is the New 5/4

edited 2018-05-20 05:26:52 in Chocolate
Sorry but it’s true. We superpyth now, boys.

Comments

• vtkvtk
    edited 2018-05-11 10:00:12
    embrace the confusion
    1.285714 is the new 1.25?

Edit: so glad I didn't have to adjust the css a bazillion times to get that to look right
  • The moonlight is the message of love.
    Clearly he meant that September 7th is the new May 4th.

Which means we have to wait until September for endless Star Wars memes now, I guess.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    That's a very US-centric interpretation. How do you know 9th of July isn't the new 5th of April?
    I figured someone would say that, but I was expecting it to be Fossilmaiden.
  • several unorthodox choices
    But 1/7 is not a standard note length...
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i suspect the only misinterpretation that occurred here was of the wilful variety
  • BeeBee
    edited 2018-05-11 20:35:18
    A major third is 2^(4/12) -> 1.2599, which is clearly closest to 5/4.  Why the hell would you round that all the way up to 9/7 for a more dissonant chord that's almost closer to the next half-step up anyway?  The whole point of a major interval is to sound bright and happy.

You take your quarter-tone bullshit and get out, sir.
  • several unorthodox choices
    actually i legit didn't get the joke until Sredni explained it, but i guess i knew that i didn't get it so you could call my misinterpretation willful
  • edited 2018-05-12 01:59:53
    “His thoughts were red thoughts, and his teeth were white.”
    Bee said:

A major third is 2^(4/12) -> 1.2599, which is clearly closest to 5/4.  Why the hell would you round that all the way up to 9/7 for a more dissonant chord that's almost closer to the next half-step up anyway?  The whole point of a major interval is to sound bright and happy.

You take your quarter-tone bullshit and get out, sir.
    Being 13.7 cents off 5/4 puts the 12-EDO major third closer to the significantly more dissonant Pythagorean 81/64 third - or, if we are to be generous, to 24/19, which is *technically* a just interval but is still far more complex than 9/7, which makes a great bright upward-leading third within a chord (9/7 to 4/3 is very dramatic) in addition to just sounding different and cool. (Furthermore, superpyth tunings by and large have much more accurate versions of 5/4 than 12-EDO does, albeit as an "augmented second.")

Also the simplest typical superpyth is a twelve-note subset of 22-EDO, the basic diatonic "semitone" of which is very close to a quartertone as conventionally understood, but the cumulative effect is quite different.
  • IN THIS WORLD IT'S MILK OR BE MILKED
    three chords and the truth
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Music theory is voodoo
  • kill living beings
    whoops thought it was time signature

whoops thought it was time signature

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    admittedly i did as well when reading the thread title, but the first post indicated otherwise
  • “His thoughts were red thoughts, and his teeth were white.”

three chords and the truth

Two of these chords are supermajor triads; the third may surprise you.
  • Impress people on the internet with this surprising chord!  (Musicians hate this)
    what is the surprise chord? :o
  • edited 2018-05-14 17:33:32
    “His thoughts were red thoughts, and his teeth were white.”
    Probably either the Hendrix chord or the Battaglia chord. I considered saying the Cuthbert triad but that doesn't really exist in 22-EDO (or really most basic superpyth scales), although it does exist in a whole slew of other tunings with supermajor chords.
    I play the Hendrix chord so much I don't think it would ever surprise me.

Well, maybe in a Britney Spears song or something.
  • “His thoughts were red thoughts, and his teeth were white.”
    It would make a fairly surprising resolution point or secondary dominant in a minor progression. Or, in this case, maybe subminor to complement the supermajor.